[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Formula 1 Qualifying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (190 KB, 1276x716) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
190 KB, 1276x716
apology for poor english

when were you when formula 1 qualifying was dies?

i was at home when bernie ring

'qualifying is die'

'no'

and you???????
>>
i actually lmao'd at that

shit
>>
WHAT A FUCKING MESS, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
>>
Formula 1 is boring
>>
>>14672225
Havent watched it yet, without spoiling too much (i doesnt really uoset me if you do) but what happened that was so bad?
>>
>>14672297
everyone gives up in Q2 and Q3 and no one is on the track for the last few mins
>>
>>14672434
but why
>>
>Go on track
>Set lap time
>Not enough time left to set a second lap time
>Flying laps don't count if you don't finish before times out.
>>
Most of qualifying was watching all the teams sit in the pits staring at the clock while one or zero cars are on track.
>>
>>14672225
That was retarded. Qualy is (was) the most exciting part of the race weekend in recent years and they totally fucked it all up. They should at least let the cars finish the lap they are on when the time runs out like how it works at the end of the session.

Or just go back to the old system. I don't see why they changed it. If anything they coulda just done Nascar style where they let each car run for 5min. But I think their old system was just fine and made me actually want to watch qualifying.
>>
>>14672225
Qualifying itself is the problem. Grid places should just be randomly assigned, so the tires and engines are saved and races are interesting again.

Want to cut down on the expense of the sport, bernie? Cut out a day of operations.
>>
I pretty much only care about Max Verstappen and the McLarens so quali was alright
>>
>>14672730
>randomised grids
>slow/inexperienced/bad drivers can potentially start in front of everyone
>they fuck up the start
>10 car pile up without even making it to T1
>>
>>14672800
And you're telling me that wouldn't be interesting/fun to watch?

There'd be more overtaking, and drivers would be forced to actually race instead of sit at the front and stay at the front.
>>
>>14672808
>And you're telling me that wouldn't be interesting/fun to watch?
It wouldnt be since as soon as you have a crash at almost any magnitude in f1 your race is over

i want to see my favourite driver race, not crash
>>
>>14672808
Positions should be earned not handed out.

Maybe in NASCAR where they market crashes and fighting.
>>
>>14672800
>slow/inexperienced/bad drivers can potentially start in front of everyone
>they fuck up the start
>10 car pile up without even making it to T1
its f1, not rookie class in iracing
>>
>>14672730
An event that takes almost one week of preparation is not going to be that much cheaper by removing a session.
Yeah, you save a set of tires, maybe half a tank of fuel and a few miles on the engine, then what?
All the personnel and equipment is still there, the pits are still rented, nothing else is going to be cheaper because of the lack of quali.

Plus, spectators are going to be angry when you remove one out of the only two sessions (the other one being the race) where there is some actual competition.

>>14672808
Not when teams rightfully complain that their multi-million car can be wrecked by the rookie that started at the front because of a random grid.
Keep in mind that almost any crash in F1 equals a DNF on the scoreboard for the cars involved, so everyone is going to be pissed.
This is not endurance, where you can send a car out with a ducttaped bumper and still aim for a good placement
>>
>>14672827
There is still a substantial gap between the ones at the front and the ones at the rear.
Wether it is because of a bad car or a bad driver, having someone that is not good at launching in front of a pack of people that are way faster is a great risk.
>>
>>14672808

And you're telling me you'd rather watch a single barrage of fireworks going of at the same time rather than a procession of dozens of them?
Besides, you take out as many racers in an F1 race from the start, and the race is basically decided there and then. It inherently becomes boring after a few laps.

You don't randomly get assigned a wage at work and get it. You have to work for it. Same with F1. You don't do what's expected of you, you're not gonna get anywhere.

>>14672827
>its f1, not rookie class in iracing
Doesn't make a difference. An F1 driver can still horrendously mess up and bring down not only the team but also an entire race to a griding halt.
>>
>>14672225
40 car grid when?

It would solve all of F1's problems.
>>
>>14672883
>>14672876
>>14672821
>>14672814
>>14672800
You people are why F1 is dying. There's no competition. It's just a matter of who gets in front after the first few corners, then gets a lead and keeps it.
Unless someone fucks up and they slap a safety car on, if you take an early lead you'll finish first. It's literally just a convoy waiting for someone's engine to blow.
>>
>>14672907
crashing more =/= more competition

this is bait
>>
File: 2013Nürburgring24_jb_2351.jpg (170 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
2013Nürburgring24_jb_2351.jpg
170 KB, 900x600
>>14672884
Never. Sports car racing is the only good racing
>>
>>14672924
A 40+ car grid would be so much better though.

20 cars (more like 15-17 after Lap 10) just isn't enough for a 4mi course. There is no traffic to deal with plus those damn blue flags.
>>
If they want to make F1 cheaper and more interesting, they should limit the size/capacity of the engineering teams. Say only 10 engineers are allowed to design/build a given car for a team.

Or, you can standardize the crash structure (up to the nose cone) of the car so small teams can focus more time towards aero tweaking and suspension design.
>>
>>14672907
So how is getting rid of quali supposed to solve that problem?
Who is good/has the better car is going to be in front of everyone in the first few laps anyway, competition won't magically appear just because you randomise the starting grid.
>>
>>14672942
Those already exist, they are called "literally every spec formula series ever"
What's the point of F1 if it has to become a spec series with more power?
>>
>>14672907

IMHO F1 is becoming irrelevant because it went from a sport with lots of respectable/fun drivers (from Hunt to Hakkinnen) to a bunch of manchildren who are overexposed in the media. Really, the only likable driver today is Vettel.

And realistically the cars today are all pretty even except for the Mercedes cars. That engine gave them such an advantage that it's not even funny. Even though the best driver is actually Vettel, Hamilton can wreck everyone due to his car.
>>
>>14672960

Spec series dictate the shape and size of everything, I'm just saying the very basic crash structure should be standardized.

The teams have to pay to crash test the cars, so if you remove the design/testing/tuning aspect of that, then you're saving millions right off the bat.
>>
>>14672907
The better drivers (with the better cars, if you will) will be out in front more often than the worse ones, regardless of whether they start at the front or the back.

Randomising the grid order doesn't help there.
>>
>>14672968
>And realistically the cars today are all pretty even except for the Mercedes cars.

We shall see after the race. Ferrari could be closer to Mercedes than we think. Plus I already think Ferrari was ahead of everyone else at the end of last year but not as far ahead as Mercedes.
>>
>>14672977
But the point is that everyone wants to make their own car, I don't know if outsourcing the chassis is prohibited by the rules, but if there was such a market, you would see at least one or two chassis manufacturers offering F1 stuff, like Dallara or Tatuus or whatever.

Plus aero is a huge deal in F1, even if you have a standard chassis/crash structure, there are still millions to spend in wind tunnels and aero development.
>>
>>14672985

The only reason Ferrari is so close is because they have the better drivers. The Mercedes cars are objectively better though. Did you watch the race at Monza last year? Hamilton was being investigated mid-race for a tire pressure infraction so his spotters told him to pick up the pace to make up for any possible repercussions, and he picked up a full second. The cars are awesome, they're not even pushing them to the limits and they're still wiping the floors with Ferrari.
>>
>>14672988

You dingus, you're missing the point.

The basic monocoque would be standardized to save money then then the rest of the car would be up to the engineers to design. They would still have full reign over wings and suspension and even engine mounting points, but just the parts touching the driver would be the same.
>>
>>14672993
If they had an engine per weekend we could see so much more performance out of them
>>
>>14673008
>Using 21 engines this year

I'm pretty sure all teams not named Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren and Williams would be fucked into oblivion.
>>
>>14672228

newfag
>>
New format won't be used in Bahrain.

That was quick.
>>
>>14672883
>An F1 driver can still horrendously mess up and bring down not only the team but also an entire race to a griding halt
they are all highly skilled drivers with decades of wheel to wheel racing experience. whether its vettel or some back marker at the lead of the pack, doesnt make a difference. the chances of it happening are extremely slim.
>>
>>14676066
>implying you've never seen a back marker react slowly to blue flags.
>>
File: #1.jpg (166 KB, 583x389) Image search: [Google]
#1.jpg
166 KB, 583x389
Vettel wins. I'm calling it.
>>
Stream where.
>>
>>14676935
http://www.totalsportek.com/formula-1-live-stream/
>>
HOLY SHIT FERNANDO!
>>
>>14676965
Yeah found it minutes earlier but thanks, also that crash man, hope he's alright.
>>
MASSIVE CRASH. Red flag.
>>
>>14676877
Looks like I was wrong.

Probably could have won if he'd gone out on the medium tyre after the red flag.
>>
PONY FAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

MERCEDES AMG SET TO WIN IT'S 4TH CHAMPIONSHIP
>>
Hahaha rosberg 1st, hamilton 2nd, vettel 3rd...

You're all faggots.
>>
File: Cd-DOt6WwAEYysy.jpg (35 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
Cd-DOt6WwAEYysy.jpg
35 KB, 600x338
>>
File: Cd-N1RQVIAAH1TV.jpg (49 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
Cd-N1RQVIAAH1TV.jpg
49 KB, 650x366
>>
>>14677464
>>14677474
Red flag had a lot to do with this.

Ferrari and Vettel are taking championships this year.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnVPBHvp6bE

I am pretty sure this is exactly how alonso remembers it.
>>
Where can I watch the GP?
>>
>>14679223
NBC Sports if you're in America, channel 626 if you have comcast
>>
>>14672225

F1 is just a bunch of spoiled rich kids, why would you watch that shit?
>>
File: Poor bastard from Stevenage.jpg (163 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Poor bastard from Stevenage.jpg
163 KB, 620x387
>>14679777
B-b-but Lewis is just a poor bastard from Stevenage.
>>
File: sad alonso.jpg (37 KB, 344x416) Image search: [Google]
sad alonso.jpg
37 KB, 344x416
>It's a ROS/HAM/VET season
>>
>>14677525
Guys help, what song is this?
>>
>>14672434
>>14672434
why
>>
>>14680870
See >>14672491
>>
>>14680870
New format btw

Q1:
>16 min session
>After 7 min the slowest driver is eliminated every 90 sec until 7 drivers eliminated
>15 drivers go on to Q2

Q2:
>15 min session
>After 6 min slowest driver is eliminated every 90 sec until 7 drivers eliminated
>8 drivers go on to Q3

Q3:
>14 min session
>After 5 min slowest driver eliminated every 90 sec
>>
>>14679810
Could ol' Lewis look any more like a faggot?
>>
>>14673019
So the usual then?
>>
>>14680095
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAcOYWkLji4
>>
>>14682772
Thanks dude!
>>
>>14676066
And what did Alonso do this weekend to prove you wrong? I want a five paragraph essay typed up by Friday on why you're a dumb cunt.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.