[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Defenders
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
So I like Landrover defenders, and I would like to own one. However i'm in the US and they're not so easy to come buy. Mid to early 90's models being sold at new car prices basically. Can't get new models here in the US. The pic related won't be able to come into the US for another 25 years. I find occasional listings for older ones that are fixed up for decent prices. I just don't know exactly what I should look for, what are red lights. Things I should know about defenders. Literally anything related to these cars feel free to educate my ignorant ass.
>>
>So I like Landrover defenders
literally why?
>>
>>14672129
I just do, don't know why. They just have an allure I suppose.
>>
File: land.jpg (29 KB, 620x348) Image search: [Google]
land.jpg
29 KB, 620x348
>>14672132
>form over function
Typical Landrover enthusiast I guess.
>>
File: image.jpg (303 KB, 1250x846) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
303 KB, 1250x846
Why can't you import a 25 year old one from yurop?
>>
>>14672143
Seconded, as a Britbong these things are fucking everywhere and cheap.

What are the US import laws like?
>>
>>14672143
>>14672148
That's what I was considering, I just have 0 experience with importing a car. I wouldn't know where to start. I mean there are listings and stuff oversees. I just don't want to get screwed over.
>>14672140
I'd say Landrovers are fairly functional.
>>
File: 49_3.jpg (78 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
49_3.jpg
78 KB, 800x531
>>14672156
>I'd say Landrovers are fairly functional
By what measure? Sidevalve motors and 10 spline axles?
>>
>>14672165
How is a side-valve engine a bad thing or am I misunderstanding you? They're reliable and compact.
>>
>>14672177
I mean sidevalves can't make compression or power. they are not that bad though, just old tech.
>>
>>14672165
Not OP but I guess there's a grass greener on the other side effect.

I've always wanted a big long wheel base pickup, but a proper one like a ford f450. Not a shitty small European one. I guess they're ten a penny over there and not that special.
>>
>>14672177
>reliable
Less so than a Japanese OHV
>compact
I guess that's a genuine concern... if you're storing a spare tire under the hood.

The only reason they were maintained for so long is production costs.
>>
File: Saspinkpanther.jpg (887 KB, 2160x1440) Image search: [Google]
Saspinkpanther.jpg
887 KB, 2160x1440
>>14672180
That's true, also on the issue of the 10 splines axles depending on the model year they sell upgrade kits to 24 spline for defenders.
>>14672188
I'm not dead set on a defender. I'd be happy with a wrangler or a Suzuki as well. They're just not my first choice. Also to their credit 75% of Defenders ever produced are still on the road. That's not something to gawf at I don't think.
>>
>>14672206
>Also to their credit 75% of Defenders ever produced are still on the road.
[citation needed]
>>
>>14672209
>"Not long ago Land Rover claimed 75 per cent of the vehicles it had ever sold were still on the road; and, staggeringly, it has been rolling them out since 1948."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/7505768/Classic-Land-Rover.html
>>
>>14672221
>taking a satirical comment seriously
>Land Rover claims
How on earth do you think a manufacturer has access to such information?
Anything of any real substance?
>>
>>14672209
They were recycled into street lamps during the scrappage scheme
>>
File: images (3).jpg (6 KB, 248x204) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
6 KB, 248x204
>>14672239
>>
>>14672239
>>14672241
Not that I don't enjoy the banter I was hoping for advice with imports m8
>>
>>14672113
Get a Toyota Land Cruiser. It's better anyway.
>>
http://eastcoastrover.com/imports.html

Here you go. According to this site there is a lot of things you can't do. Personally I would just import an old one that meets all DOT requirements for approval to get that out of the way. Then get it a title from some no fuccs given state like Florida and then buy all the new shit I actually want in parts and install them after(which according to that site is a huge no no but who gives a fucc)
>>
>>14672156
>Landrovers are fairly functional

They are functional for a 1960s off-roader. As in, you can customize the interior with spray-painted plywood and it'll look stock, they'll tow 3000 pounds of manure through 3000 pounds of manure all day, you can repair almost anything in a cave with a box of scraps, etc.

However, they have fuck all for comfort, mesozoic era engines, worse off-road capabilities than a modern Disco or RR despite the looks, and they aren't particularly reliable - just easy to fix.

If you want a sturdy off-roader that doesn't feel like a WW2 film prop, import a Pajero or something.
>>
>>14672183
>proper one like a ford f450
F150= half ton truck
F250=3/4 ton truck
F350=1 ton truck
F450=slightly over 1 ton truck
All these share the same dimensions , just different load ratings because of heavier springs and frame reinforcement and larger power plants.
A F450 is really not that common, but the other three are more than abundant.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.