[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nissan Xterra. I've heard they're pretty good. I like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: nissan-xterra-se-02.jpg (50 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
nissan-xterra-se-02.jpg
50 KB, 625x469
Nissan Xterra. I've heard they're pretty good. I like the bulky design, a lot, and Nissan seems like they've been a reliable company for a while. Lots of space to haul my Kiyak and gear around, it'd be nice.

I was thinking of picking up a 1st Gen with the 3.3 Motor, I think they make like, 185ish HP? Sounds like an improvement over my current 2000 rav4, plus more space, I can pick up a manual again, etc.

But, however, I'm thinking of holding out for a decent deal on an '05 or up. they make 270 with their 4.0, which sounds real neat if I decided to get into offroad and overlanding later on.

They'd both be solid buys for a 4WD fun SUV, anyone know if the difference between the 3.3 and the 4.0 is that large?
>>
It is positively massive. The 3.3 makes decent low end torque, but runs out of steam quick going up hills on the highway and such. 5spd would make it okay-ish, but the VQ40 is in a different league whether auto or manual. Having said that, the early VQ40s have some well known timing chain tensioner/guide issues. The VG in turn is known to crack exhaust manifolds that ultimately results in a CEL and if left long enough, ruined catalytic converters. As with anything, it's basically pick your poison.

Speaking of pic related, brush guards like that are cancer. Ruin approach angle and that's about it. Pony up for a true steel bumper or GTFO.
>>
>>14670861
Shit mpg, mediocre interior
>>
bimp
>>
>>14670920

Noted. Thanks for the information, hadn't read anything about that. I heard the enthusiasts circlejerking about how bulletproof they were, I figured there had to be a few problems. Doesn't sound too bad, though. I wasn't really considering a brushguard like that, just nabbed a picture of the color I wanted without really thinking. There's a few 1st Gen manuals around, I might take a look at them.

>>14671046

I already have a MPG car.
If I was concerned about nice interior I wouldn't buy a mid 00's SUV.
>>
>>14671111
The 2nd gens are generally better daily trucks (more power, nicer ride) but have a transmission intercooler/radiator issue that is well-known and easily by-passed.

The 1st Gen is Nissan's answer to the Jeep. It's a decent off-roader, with a simple suspension system that is easily modded. Part of the reason why people complain about the power in the 1st gen is because they're available with insanely low rear axle gear ratios (4.9 to 1) which are awesome for off-roading, but mean that you end up roaring along at 4kRPMs in top gear when you want to pass somebody on the freeway.

And they're Nissans, so while the engines are pretty good, now that they're 10 years old a lot of shit will need to be fixed a little at a time.

I love mine (2002), but I trickle a lot of little fixes into it. It's great off-road, and looks much, much better once you take off a lot of the plastic cladding, add a steel bumper, and bump your tires up to 32s.
>>
>>14671299

Neat. I noticed it looks a little "Jeepy" I guess. I don't really need a better ride and power, but if it doesn't cost that much more I don't see why not to go for it. New tires and a bumper were pretty much a given to me, seems like it was begging to be put over some big tires. I work at a tireshop so I can probably order some at like 15% or 20% off, any recommendations?

For the 2nd Gen what would a decent price be for a well-running '05? I'd prefer to find a manual if I can but they seem to be relatively rare. I know that's a wide question but I can't tell if I'd be getting fucked over for the prices Craigslist asks for a lot of them. Seems like 6 or 7k is the lowest they get for one that isn't posted in all spanish or with a major issue. Does that sound about right?
>>
File: 2016-02-21 12.10.15.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-21 12.10.15.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>14671348
I use Hankook DynaPros. They look decent, wear well, offroad well, and they're not that expensive. I'm also in AZ though, so I don't need seasonal tires.

I don't know how much one should cost--probably just spend some time on craigslist to get a feel for it. I paid about $11k for mine in 2009 (7 years old, 60k miles). I actually drove to LA so I could get a manual, since there weren't any in Phoenix that I could find.
>>
>>14671299
I have a Nissan Frontier, I believe the VQ40 transmission/radiator issue is specifically on 2005-2010 models with an auto. So if you get a manual you should be good to go.
>>
>>14671348
I am >>14673796 guy.

You are right the manuals are hard as fuck to find. Bought my Frontier 4x4 with manual in 2014, there were only 2 in the entire country. Had to purchase mine from a dealer in WA state and have it delivered to me (CA).
>>
File: tridgeroad.jpg (2 MB, 1824x1368) Image search: [Google]
tridgeroad.jpg
2 MB, 1824x1368
>>14673805

How do you like your Frontier? I own a 3g 4Runner right now (V6, auto, 4wd, rear locker) and am kind of jonesing to get something newer and stick shift. Test drove a new 6spd Xterra pro4x at a dealership and liked it, a bit less refined than a Toyota but in an endearing way. But I thought the cargo area was a bit lacking, that's where the Frontier idea comes in.

Any complaints? What's mpg like? Do you take long trips in it, and what is that like comfort wise?
>>
>>14673886
I love it, test drove Tacoma and Frontier. Previously drove a 96 Tacoma that got wrecked by some asshole in a Jeep.

The Frontier felt stronger in terms of acceleration, although both vehicles have similar power to weight ratio as Tacoma is lighter. I have a crew cab, and people like the Tacoma better imo, but it's my truck and chances are I am the driver so fuck it.

MPG is pretty shitty, babied the thing when I was breaking it in, never revved past 3000 rpm and drove speed limit <70mph. Got around 20 mpg highway but now that it has been around 2 years old... I get around 17mpg combined...having said that most of my driving is highway with limited congestion. I am at 35k miles and have not had any issues at all but I do regular maintenance fairly frequently - still change oil around 3-4k, air filter around 10k but desu I haven't really taken it off road yet.

I do hate the stock tires...BF Goodrich Long Trail, hoping to get some AT2 Grabbers within the next year or so. Feels comfortable enough for me but then again I am a manlet.
>>
love my '05 manual, fun to drive with plenty of power and torque. I average 18 mpg with best being 25 mpg on road trips.

Great suv for camping.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.