[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /o/, I was wondering, what's better for recovery? Chain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (173 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173 KB, 960x720
Hey /o/, I was wondering, what's better for recovery? Chain or straps? Is there a difference in how much capacity there is? Any difference in safety?
>>
>>14669442
Straps are softer when you tug on them.
Chains are more harsh but generally stronger and more expensive.
>>
helicopters
>>
chains are far stronger but straps are far safer, easier to move around(weight) and take less storage room. straps also won't rust and are considerably cheaper depending on the size you need
>>
in terms of safety a chain isn't any different then a winch which if snapped under load all that energy is released and it'll fly back possibly hitting someone. straps can still fly back but are less likely to and obviously getting hit by a strap won't be anywhere near as bad as a chain/winch cable
>>
Straps are nice to work with, weigh less, cheaper and won't fuck you up if they snap.
>>
S T R A P
T
R
A
P

Chains are NOT meant to be shock loaded like a lot of idiots do. They are designed for a constant load.

A strap can at least stretch and help if you want to jerk and tug on something, and for a lot of idiots that do "offroad recovery" a strap is far safer when it breaks from being over loaded.

Now, if you have a winch and will be using nothing but the winch to do the pulling with, a chain is a far superior option because of the forces being placed on it.

But again, if your going offroading, a strap is better because a lot of people don't understand the concept of shock loading and such, so a strap is often safer and less expensive to replace for the millionth time.
>>
>>14669561
if you're jerking it you're just a fucking moron anyway and deserve to get fucked up
>>
>>14669525
Cables/chains don't hit people when they snap, they cut. It is brutal.

You remember that scene at the beginning of the movie Ghost Ship?
>>
>>14669574

I don't think they'll be pulling with enough force for a 60 people dismemberment though

>that was a good movie
>>
>>14669574
cables cut yes but chains tend to just hit hard. really all depends how much force they are packing and the way they hit tho. size also matters since a small cable can slice easily while a chain with large links generally won't but it'll still seriously fuck you up
>>
>>14669568
>what is a snatch strap
>>
>>14669568
>he doesn't jerk it

laughingwhores.pak
>>
>>14669611

>Retard alert

Drive forward to apply steady tension. Don't just go WOT off the casualty's bumper
>>
>>14669620
yep, don't be a fucking idiot like this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1xZxUssfs

literally no reason to jerk it unless you want to wreck shit
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2048
Also post pics of your recoveries, /o/
>>
>>14669589
The force released isn't so much about how much force you are pulling with. It is about how high the test is on the cable or chain you manage to snap.

Think of the cable like a battery that releases it's power when its strength is exceeded. It doesn't matter if you are using a lot of force to pull against a static object or using a lighter mass to jerk another moveable mass.
>>
here's some more stupidity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJA3J--g_yI
>>
>>14669620

>go WOT off the casualty's bumper

Who the fuck said they were going to do that?

>retard alert

Yeah, you.
>>
>>14669629
That might be my fav, along with the spastic that tried to pull a tree stump out with his BMW
>>
File: 1384746917419.gif (3 MB, 200x113) Image search: [Google]
1384746917419.gif
3 MB, 200x113
>>14669673
>>
if something exists with seatbelt straps use them. seatbelts are stronger than chain in most cases for obvious reasons.
>>
>>14669673
>just jeep things
>>
not exactly related but here's yet more stupidity just for fun. why the fuck is it always the ford owners?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrn3Yb3L_iU
>>
>>14669629
>>14669673
these are so fucking classic
>>
File: jeep2_VP8.webm (2 MB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
jeep2_VP8.webm
2 MB, 1080x720
>>14669661
>>
>>14669736
>ford owners

it's not. I drive a ford for work, and have recovered heaps of colleagues and been recovered several times in training with no accident.
>>
File: fn4V0wO.gif (827 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
fn4V0wO.gif
827 KB, 320x240
>>14669736
Just shove it in my arse, hard!
>>
>>14669782
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq7sqqeUaso
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aag0aB8w04o

>that scraping sound
>>
why the fuck do people do this shit? seems stupid and pointless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JraXtL9d-uk
>>
File: d.jpg (574 KB, 1238x1650) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
574 KB, 1238x1650
>>14669661
>>
yet another Ford doing moronic Ford things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO1jsO9MrnM
>>
File: JWK_Crash.jpg (75 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
JWK_Crash.jpg
75 KB, 1280x720
Went snow drifting with a friend, I drifted around the ditch, he didn't realize it was there.

Pulled him out with my 03 Ranger, I hooked the strap from his front bumper and to my front bumper, backed up 'till it was taut, and just slammed on the gas.

Somehow pulled him out without any body damage to his SUV.
>>
File: JWK_Crash_2.jpg (101 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
JWK_Crash_2.jpg
101 KB, 1280x720
>>14669847
Another picture, crash happened at 3am so these are the only two pictures I took.
>>
File: image.jpg (184 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
184 KB, 960x720
>>
Bump for more retarded recoveries.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.