[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You guys begun your summer projects yet? Currently rebuilding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: DSC_0656.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0656.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
You guys begun your summer projects yet? Currently rebuilding a head to swap on my 1990 miata. Gonna go the remote oil filter/cooler route as well.

Projects/maintenance thread!
>>
Summer is for driving, winter is where its at to get things done!
>>
File: DSC_0062.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0062.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Spring project because I want to drive it in the summer, but it's just about ready to go. Previous owners got it most of the way done, and I've just been finishing up small things, but once I get the carbs tuned and the air cleaners arrive from Sweden she'll be good to go.
>>
File: DSC_0644.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0644.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
HLAs all cleaned up and sitting in oil. They were completely seized up but sitting after sitting overnight in solvent and having been wiped clean ther are supple and springy once more.
>>
>>14669306

My ride broke a valve guide in January, so Im just hoping ill have it roadworthy again by summer!
>>
Hopfully puttin a wrx 5spd in my Svx. Not sure ill have enough money in thenlong run though
>>
>>14669285
Well its snowing right now so not really. Assuming it doesn't snow next weekend I'm going to do a bunch of troubleshooting on my car so I can start doing repairs.
>>
>>14669321
m8 they're not supposed to be springy. do you know how HLA's work? they fill with oil and get hard. the ticking you hear is the HLA compressing over and over when the cam hits it because they're not sealed.
>>
>>14669503

Noted, I will be verifying this.
>>
>>14669306
>can't feel hands
>working on cars
>busting knuckles hurts 1000x more
>not even alcohol can keep you warm
>>
>>14669503

>"As the camshaft lobe travels through its apex, the load is reduced on the lifter piston, and the internal spring returns the piston to its neutral state so the lifter can refill with oil."

Hence, the piston in an hla must be able to compress and expand. They were completely stuck in the compressed position. Im pretty sure Ive serviced them correctly.
>>
>>14670132
once it's refilled with oil it stays hard in that position. oil is incompressible.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.