[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would pic related be a good first car? Anyone have any experience
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Saab_900_convertible.jpg (224 KB, 2040x1134) Image search: [Google]
Saab_900_convertible.jpg
224 KB, 2040x1134
Would pic related be a good first car?

Anyone have any experience driving one?
>>
>>14667873
I had one as a first car, ~10 years ago.

It's fine, if you can find the parts for it. Decent on gas, easy enough to fix most problems yourself, reliable enough engine & transmission to get you from A to B.

Don't modify it (at least not the engine/trans); you'll be jumping down a rabbit hole of bullshit. Get a new suspension if you want, but if you start fucking with the boost, you're going to have to start learning about engine internals, and the transmission isn't super beefy.
>>
>>14667925
Thank you (:

What is a decent price to pay for one?

Someone is selling one around my area for $3,200.
>>
>>14668166
Post the link to the ad
>>
>>14668166
$3200? Better come with a blowjob.

Even if it's got a service history and it's never been wrecked, $2500 is about as high as I'd even consider for one; I see them every once in a while on my local CL, but I've never seen someone asking more than $2k (mainly because they're super hard to find parts for, so the ones being sold "just need this one thing"). They're not particularly desirable, not a collector's car, and there's not much market for them.
>>
>>14668209
>>14668212
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5468503824.html

Maybe I could talk this person down to $2.5k.
>>
>>14668224
>3-speed auto
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>14668232
It would not be comfortable at all to drive a manual in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
>>
>>14668232
Sadly, this. If you want a 900, you're much better off with a manual. Auto trans parts are notoriously hard to find. I had to scrap mine because I couldn't find a trans kickdown cable like 8 years ago; doubt it's gotten easier to find parts in that time.
>>
>>14668239
It's not bad. Don't be a pussy.

I said that not because it's an automatic but because it's just not a very good auto. You'd get better mpg and turn fewer rpms at high speed.
>>
>>14668274
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5496983091.html

How's this?
>>
>>14668286
Better. I personally wouldn't want a convertible because it's another thing to fail. And if it sits in the sun all the time it would deteriorate pretty fast. It'd be good if you have a garage.
>>
>>14668286
Looks fine. I'm not a fan of convertibles, but it looks well cared for, and even at that mileage, it's got some life left in it. Just make sure to maintain the engine/cooling system. If you don't, it'll overheat right quick, esp. in warm weather.
>>
>>14668305
I do have a garage and my roommate doesn't have a car so I can use that.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.