[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my transmission is pretty much fucked and the car was recently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
So my transmission is pretty much fucked and the car was recently put on sale, is there a quick fix to this shit? It literally won't change to the second gear.
>tfw no dad to teach me this shit
>>
is it auto or manual?
you might be able to get away with just replacing the fluid, look up a diy on your car's forum
>>
>>14658237
it's automatic
2002 mercedes
>>
What's the fluid level/condition?
>>
>>14658314
>transmission problems
>automatic
hahaha you're fucked m8.
>>
>>14658323
aw fuck man don't say that
>>14658319
i have no idea
>>
>>14658314
>Transmission issues
>Automatic
>Mercedes

Rip in fucking piece
>>
>>14658362
well my morale has gone exponentially down since i started this thread.
So there's no out unless i change the whole transmission?
>>
>>14658314

check fluid, is it dark and burnt? Does it smell burnt?
do a fluid drain and fill if necessary *DO NOT FLUSH*

Change over to synthetic fluid if possible.
>>
>>14658383
ok well i have no idea how to check that or do that.
I basically know next to nothing about cars
>>
>>14658446
Find a shop that'll check it then.
Odds are it's fucked. A/Ts run a long time even when they're slowly destroying themselves. by the time it literally no longer shifts into a gear it's usually totally fucked.
Now that said, A/Ts have components in them that are wear items that can be replaced to restore it to running condition so long as the gears aren't totally stripped out. A rebuild can fix it. This does however involve removing it and taking the whole thing apart which is anything but cheap. Neither are the parts, being a Mercedes unit (especially early 2000s when they had a partnership with Chrysler, a marriage made in hell if ever there was one). So you're looking at a hefty sum to pay someone to fix it. Probably a good 2-4k. A would be simpler, but no guarantee it'll be any cheaper. Also no guarantee the new transmission will work properly (they're usually taken off wrecked cars and it might have been worn out already).

TL:DR It's fucking fukd M8, big time. Best case scenario, might get running for a couple thousand if you REALLY want to. Replacing the whole car could very well be cheaper.
>>
>>14658446
>I basically know next to nothing about cars
google "how to check transmission fluid level on 2002 mercedes". (would help to include the model in the search query)

you are now an expert at checking the tranny fluid level on you car
>>
>>14658331
Check the fluid dumbass.
>>
>>14658515
yeah i'm trying to get rid of it.
Do you think it could be the transmission fuse? it only has 137,000 miles
>>14658568
ok will do
>>14658571
doin it now
>>
>>14658578
>Do you think it could be the transmission fuse?
hahaha nope. i fucking wish transmission were that easy.

137k on an early 2000s merc sounds about right for it to shot the bed. especially if it was treated like an appliance.
>>
>>14658597
hm alright then ill check the fluid
Thanks for the help guys
>>
>>14658383
>fluid drain and fill
also do the filter, could be plugged
>>
File: 1442784417980.jpg (629 KB, 2048x1838) Image search: [Google]
1442784417980.jpg
629 KB, 2048x1838
>>14658375
you will have to remove the transmission to fix it anyway.

>best case
it's low on trans fluid, which is a different problem.
>you may want to drain and refill it to see what the old fluid looks like
>like full of metal shavings or incredibly black and burnt
>both are bad

>worst case
It's wrecked and/or it's your DD and you need it working soon, in which case you should buy a salvage trans and swap it. You can either get the core charge for the old one or try and rebuild it and sell it.
>good luck autotragics are made with unicorn farts and engineers tears

>>14658446
>know nothing
find a salvage one (call salvage yards)
go with low miles and best warranty
then call some cheap local mechanics
tell them what's up and get quotes
go with least shady cheapest mechanic
Lowball awesome price would be $500 for a used trans and 4 hours of work from paco
>more realistically $1000-2000 form a real mechanic
>get written quotes before they actually start working
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.