[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there are car """"enthusiasts""""
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
>there are car """"enthusiasts"""" on this board RIGHT now that think manual is stupid
>>
I'm kind of indifferent nowadays. On the low hp econobox cars, a manual is probably going to be your only source of fun. Typically higher trims don't come with manual options though.

On a higher hp car for the street, it's more a wash. A dd/only car would probably make more sense with an auto, especially in an urban environment.

I'm looking for a 997 right now and it actually isn't even a part of my search criteria. The only 2 things that might push me into a manual (given the choice between to desired cars) is that it won't be a dd and might possibly be easier to sell, but I'm not even sure about that. An 's' might sell easier with a manual, but I doubt the regular Carrera would.
>>
not stupid just outdated

so if you care about performance its stupid to get it
>>
>>14657587
Luxury/higher end sports cars come almost standard as automatics with a manual mode. Seems fitting considering automatics have caught up with manual shifting and are in some cases even better..
>>
File: 1456453553116.png (14 KB, 530x444) Image search: [Google]
1456453553116.png
14 KB, 530x444
Most of the people that dislike manual transmissions are either new kid "enthusiasts" who can't drive and can't text while shifting, or old fucks with fucked knees
>>
>>14658427
This is a reasonable opinion. If you are going to track a modern car and want it to be the fastest it can be, a manual is not the best choice. Eliminating muh feels from the equation, of course.
>>
what is""""this meme"""
>>
>>14658450
Depends on the type of automatic tbqh

Most traditional automatics will be garbage, CVT will be garbage, but DCT can have an edge.
>>
>>14658461
yeah I meant DCT
>>
>>14658439
Most of the people who are so bitter about automatics are kids that think you need a manual transmission to be an enthusiast. They also typically drive four cylinder shit boxes.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (96 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
96 KB, 1920x1080
>>14657587
>people on /o/ will argue against this
>>
>>14657587
I have two cars, manual has it's place, it's not for me being a wage slave.
>>
>>14657587
And there are """""""enthusiaats""""""" on this board right now who've never touched a dog box.
So many people on this board have never even spectated a race yet talk like their Forza experience is real. Then there's the idiots who think cause they've done a tire rotation and oil change they could strip a car down and build it to 1000hp
>>
>>14658649
>they could strip a car down and build it to 1000hp
There are people on this board right now that think those are related.
>>
>>14658656
I was gonna say into a race car but thought 1000th would be more dramatic
>>
File: lumber_dawg.jpg (108 KB, 640x630) Image search: [Google]
lumber_dawg.jpg
108 KB, 640x630
You can be a enthusiasts and not like manuals.
They're probably lazy or more bench racers anything tho.

Manuals for me is less about performance and more about feel and fun.
If someone is chasing lap times or bench racing, yea an auto is great.
Just remember:
DCT > Fluid donut
>>
>>14658622
In aus the shift pattern has to be on the knob, anywhere else is illegal.
>>
>>14657587
>there are car """"" enthusiasts""""" on this board RIGHT now that think being able to operate a transmission type that is effortlessly operated by kids, soccer moms and old as balls people all over the world is somehow a remarkable skill
>>
Newer production automatics are on par with their manual counterparts
>10 years old production manuals are superior to their automatic equivalent. They're also often cheaper to purchase, easier and more affordable to fix, and less likely to be stolen
Driving a manual is objectively more difficult than automatic, but in return more options are open to you as a driver

That's all there fucking is to it. Make your stupid decision based on that, those are the only actual points that get made in these shitty threads aside from baseless shit flinging. All that happens in here is ricer shitbox fuckboys arguing with trustfund babies whose parents just bought them a brand new Mazda 6. Half these posts are so fucking garbage I'm not even sure if it's ironic at this point, but either way there is absolutely no reason to have this thread every single god damn day.
>>
>>14657587
I wish I didn't have a shit ton of fun with my manual transmission. Not so much a car enthusiast though, since I mainly ride my motorcycle.
>>
I will jokingly look down on people who are enthusiasts but prefer automatics, even now that high end autos are better than manuals for performance driving.

A huge part of the appeal of driving a fast car for me is the skill involved, the idea of being in command of the car. Fancy things like launch control, DCTs, and stability control take away from that even if they make the car faster.
>>
>>14659795
The fuck are you talking about? Why would having a shift pattern even be mandatory in the first place?
>>
>>14657587
manual IS stupid because it's outdated
>>
>>14660193
If you live in Australia, the manufacturers, by law, must assume you are retarded.
>>
>tfw you spend 10 hours a day in an off-road 10 speed dump truck
Get shit on because daily is an auto
or
>tfw you build a drag car with a powerglide
Get shit on because "dude it's basically an auto"

You'll never win
>>
I don't think manual is stupid, I think people that think they're better because they drive a manual are stupid.
>>
I just learned to drive stick and I think its fun but I learned at work (I valet), but I don't think it's practical for everyday use. What if you fuck up and stall on the highway? Mistakes can happen like that.
>>
File: imlaughingbutnotimpressed.gif (989 KB, 350x239) Image search: [Google]
imlaughingbutnotimpressed.gif
989 KB, 350x239
>tfw no manual, just buttons n sheit
>>
>>14661092

I know a guy like this. Drove automatic for years but once he got a manual, he can't get in my car without making some comment about my vehicle not being manual.
>>
>>14661102

Its impossible to stall at a highway, unless you are an extreme retard. Stalling only happens in the first gear when the clutch is released too soon with not enough gas.
>>
>Auto clutch

https://youtu.be/BFYuyPP7Kio
>>
regular auto trans<manual<DCT
>>
Auto for daily driver. Bike for RPMs, shifting, engine breaking, and muh leans
>>
>>14657587
I got my learners permit on a flappy paddle 2009 BMW M5, I got my license on a flappy paddle 2011 Audi S4 (the instructor bitched about the """""racing"""" seats), my first car was a 2011 WRX STI (obviously emmanuel), and my current car is a 2013 Audi S6 which brings me straight back to flappy paddle magic.

I don't enjoy the flappy paddle, but I will say the S-tronic shifts of the S6 are insane and almost lightening fast. The car is actually slow the in manual/semiautomatic/m1-m7 than it is in just D/S
>>
>>14661102
>valet
>can't drive stick
>practices on customer cars
This is why I never use valet
>>
>>14657587
>>there are car """"enthusiasts"""" on this board RIGHT now that think ferrari are good
>>
Just a reminder that the only acceptable automatic is the Hydramatic
>>
>>14658461
Depends on the transmission. Some autos are really fast and good (ZF 8-speed, Lexus 8-speed, etc.). Some DCTs are shitty (Ford Fiesta/Focus DCT).
>>
>>14658427
/thread

I still prefer manual though
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.