[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to diesel and turbos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
So i've only ever driven petrol engines, and never had one with a turbo or supercharger. Looking to buy a cheapish turbo diesel, but don't know how to tell if a car sounds ok on a test drive or not, and at what kind of mileage they tend to wear out etc. Anybody have any advice?
What does a failing turbo sound like? Or how can you tell if a turbo is worn?
Are there things to consider on a high mileage diesel car that you wouldn't need to on a petrol?
>>
Worn turbo sounds like an owl, it's funny but it's true.

About diesel it has less horsepower than petrol but more torque than petrol.

I drive passat b5.5 1.9 TDI 96kw/130hp it's got 260000+ km and never had any problem with it.

Hope I helped
>>
Whatever
you
do,
don`t
buy
VAG
>>
>>14650685

Why? Give me some proof why i should't buy an VAG
>>
Can anyone tell me how a diesel engine is advantageous over a petrol one?
>>
>>14650680
OP here, owl sounds like something to look for, any idea what causes that specifically? is it worn out bearings, creep in the turbine? etc.
Are turbos made by the company that makes the car? i.e are hondas fitted with jap turbos? and is anyone reputable for having good quality ones?
>>
The mileage that a car lasts depends on the model and maintenance. Generally diesels are used by drivers who drive long distances on highways, meaning that cars remain generally in good condition. Easiest way to tell the condition of the turbo is to remove the intake pipe and feel for play in the compressor fan by hand. Other signs of wear are motor oil in the intercooler or blue smoke coming from exhaust during startup. Other diesel specific things to consider are EGR condition and condition of the injectors.
>>
>>14650699
Lower consumption, less parts to break, more torque if you drive often heavy stuff...
>>
File: planned obsolescence.jpg (115 KB, 430x938) Image search: [Google]
planned obsolescence.jpg
115 KB, 430x938
>>14650694
>>
>>14650699
Diesel fuel itself has a higher BTU(higher energy content) per equal volume compared to petrol.

Diesel engines run much higher compression ratios, since diesel can be ignited by just pressure. This allows for a longer stroke, which gives diesel engines their torquey nature.
>>
is the lower horsepower the reason that you tend to see (at least i do) a lot more diesels fitted with turbos?
>>
>>14650694
Hpfp failure.

Lubricity lubricity lubricity
>>
>>14650709

If turbo makes owl sound it means turbo's rotor has been worn out and you need to repair turbo (change rotor and clean housing)...
But if turbo blows you will know it definitely ...

And remember it's hard to wear a turbo you need to be very unlucky person...
>>
>>14650725
That, and diesels do well with added air since they have to stand tighter tolerances, things tend to be overbuilt.
>>
>>14650733
I expected that answer...

That's why you pour ATF (automatic transmission fluid) or fuel additives in gas tank to lubricate and clean pumps and injectors...

It can happen on any car not just VAG ...
>>
>>14650718
I guess for VW a timing belt really is superior.
>>
>>14650739
if it sounds ok are there any other checks to make before buying one? i doubt anybody takes it to bits and has a look inside but other than any damage to the housing are there any things to be wary of?
>>
>>14650826

Yeah I forgot, break pedal tends to be very hard if turbo is dead or some hose is not connected, because there is no vacuum pressure.

And remember on non sport cars turbo gets hot so don't push it to redline for too long time, it need to cool down for a bit...
>>
>>14650853
do non sport turbos not have intercoolers?
what does the brake servo have to do with the turbo? surely that's what causes no vacuum pressure?
>>
>>14650885

Yeah no intercooler and small turbo (i mean size) so it gets hot faster.

Servo is mainly connected to the steering wheel and a little bit to the brakes to ensure abs, but vacuum is what it pumps oil to brakes so you can stop, without vacuum you will have hard brake and almost impossible to stop on higher speeds. You will feel that.

And one more tip: if turbo is blown on diesel on 2000rpm car should start to accelerate faster and on gasoline on 3000rpm that should be.

If you keep accelerating after that rpms same as before that rpms turbo is blown or you have hose unconnected somewhere.
>>
>>14650938
I didn't said why on 2000rpm for diesel and 3000rpm for gasoline..

It's because on that rpms turbo kick in so you should feel change in acceleration.
>>
>>14650650
For a Diesel car

Adventages
-good torque
may lead to faster acceleration
makes a lawnmover 1.6 engine fun with 320 N.ms of torque
-Durable
-less consumption
-low revving makes long distances comfortable

Disadvantages
-price
-noize
-global warming
-dependance to turbos
-turbo lag
-less fun to drive than a petrol engine
-heavier than a petrol engine
-slower on a racetrack
>>
>>14650990
>slower on a racetrack

If you want to race on a track a with diesel than you are not good in the head...

No, bad feelings.
>>
>>14651014
Audi's been doing just fine with racing diesels
>>
>>14651072
If you mean on Audi R10 TDI, well that's not a production car.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.