[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /o/! I've a 2013 Genesis Coupe, and as much as I would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 9
Hello /o/! I've a 2013 Genesis Coupe, and as much as I would love to start pouring money into modifications, I've no idea what the hell I'm doing (I've never even changed oil before, but I have changed brake pads on my previous vehicle). I like to work slow, and meticulous to make sure things are done the proper way, the first time. Would it be better for me to purchase a $1000-$3000 car to practice on? I've had my eye on a Porsche 944 (ideally the turbo, but I'll settle). Ideally I'd like to reach the point of knowledge where I'm confident to take the engine out, clean all the parts, inspect for any that might be failing, replace them, and upgrade to something that will beat most stock cars under $30k.

Also, how the hell do people work on replacing things underneath their car (such as the exhaust)? I can't picture that going well with some jack stands, all by yourself.
>>
>doesn't know how to work on cars
>wants a 944
>>
>>14649791
A 944 isn't much harder than any other 80s sports car, supposedly.

Still though, OP, if you want the easiest shit ever, start with a Volvo 240 or an old American pickup truck.
>>
File: Julius Keiser (fitness trainer).png (741 KB, 1688x518) Image search: [Google]
Julius Keiser (fitness trainer).png
741 KB, 1688x518
>>14649781
>Also, how the hell do people work on replacing things underneath their car (such as the exhaust)? I can't picture that going well with some jack stands, all by yourself.
>>
>>14649781
>Also, how the hell do people work on replacing things underneath their car (such as the exhaust)? I can't picture that going well with some jack stands, all by yourself.

use 4 jack stands or get it on a lift
>>
>>14649781
Why not start by changing the oil on your Genesis? It's not like the manual + jewtube + /o/* doesn't give you all the info you need.

Also, regarding exhausts etc: you can do literally anything (e.g., remove transmission) in your back yard, it just takes much, much more time/effort to do it on jackstands than it does if you have a lift.

*/o/ may be a liability
>>
>>14649781
.... start the with hyundai p.o.s., that way if you fick up nothing of value would have been lost... One person can drop the exhaust. A full tank is another story.
>>
OP here, I understand that a car lift would make things easier, but who has access to those? Do backyard mechanics rent them by the hour? What if you're learning, and want to take things slow? Are you going to empty your wallet because you do things slowly?
>>
File: hyundai_in_fire_00.jpg (60 KB, 640x429) Image search: [Google]
hyundai_in_fire_00.jpg
60 KB, 640x429
>>14649781
>I've a 2013 Genesis Coupe
>would love to start pouring money into modifications

I'd recommend pouring that money into a grave plot for when Kukrean engineering rears its head
>>
If I was you I would get an older American car from the 60s-70s. The parts would be much easier to find NOS or reproduction. It would also give you more options in regards to originality. You could hotrod the fuck out of it or keep it bone stock
>>
>>14650066
There might be a DIY garage near you.
>>
I think youll do alright since it takes a few more braincells to change brake pads than you need for oil, which is more than the average mechanic has
>>
>>14649801
NOT THIS
iv worked on the turbo and n/a 944's and theyre a pain in the ass. tighter engine bay then anything iv seen, maby the northstar is worse. and they have loads of little niche things on that engine nobody will tell you about. they have a small following of home mechanics but most of the owners end up at a porsche audi specially shop and $$$$$$$$ for parts nomatter whos installing.
>>
File: 1441783728686.jpg (185 KB, 807x768) Image search: [Google]
1441783728686.jpg
185 KB, 807x768
its a great car, but not to learn on. or work on ever lol.
>>
>>14649781
If you're looking for a good car to start wrenching on, I'd suggest a fleet car like a crown vic. They have shit tons of engine room, they're some of the simplest vehicles to work on, and you can grt 2 or 3 with 5k
>>
>>14651566
Misread OP. 3k will still get you maybe 2
>>
File: image.png (67 KB, 256x259) Image search: [Google]
image.png
67 KB, 256x259
>>14650751
>>14649801

Both are somewhat accurate, but I have to agree don't learn on one. I would actually suggest learning on something that has no ECU, as you will learn how to do basic mechanical work and only simple electrics. Either that or get something new enough that a dated ecu won't send you on a wild goose chase (read $$$).

>yfw e30 and 944 both use the hateful Bosch motronic
>>
File: porsche-944-04.jpg (116 KB, 729x486) Image search: [Google]
porsche-944-04.jpg
116 KB, 729x486
>>14649781
Arright nigga. I have a 944 and this is all from experience.

It is totally possible to start off as a total noob and still do most-all of the wrenchy work... but it's kinda hard. For starters all the shit you need is fairly expensive - jack & stands, good toolkit, POORSCH PARTS, etc. For tutorials, clark's-garage.com is an excellent site, as is rennlist. Try Van Svenson's youtube page as well, he has great engine-out videos as well as demos of some mechanical work (there's another guy irina25661 who does good demo videos - in german but with subtitles).

DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you buy one of these fuckers. Lots and lots of awful failure stories among the successes. The general gist is (and you won't wanna hear this) buy the best one you can afford, rather than buying a piece of shit and trying to fix everything. And pay for a PPI from someone who knows the cars... it might save you a couple grand.

There was a long-ass thread on rennlist about what it costs to get a half-decent 944, and the consensus was about $6k for a NA (either by buying a good one or fixing a shitter) and about double that for a turbo. But prices are on the up (slightly) I believe. This will also depend on how much you care about cosmetics -- but a car with neglected paint/interior will almost certainly have neglected mechanicals even if the owner assures you otherwise.

Also, if you want gofast, NA will not cut it - there is VERY little room to squeeze HP out of that engine, and it's a MUCH better idea to shell out for a turbo than boost an NA. Lindsey racing do bolt-on HP kits for turbos that are a few grand - worth checking out. It is possible to get an NA quicker by stripping weight (the early cars are only ~1180kg to start with) - which is fun but will detract a lot from everyday drivability.

Also the 944Ts have fucking glacial turbo lag which is part of the charm but also extremely annoying at times.
>>
File: Porsche-944-Models.jpg (83 KB, 729x486) Image search: [Google]
Porsche-944-Models.jpg
83 KB, 729x486
DO NOT BUY A TURBO YOU WILL HAVE YOUR ASS RAPED IF YOU BUY ONE FOR LESS THAN 10 GRAND. Get a base NA, they arn't that hard to work on.
>>
>>14653758

That's insane! There are several BRZ/FRS's in my area between 12k-16k, and I wouldn't have to deal with all of those problems. Why are those god damn expensive? Here I thought I was going to buy a 944, buy some turbo kit, and be done with it.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (191 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
191 KB, 1600x1067
>>14649781
>2013 Genesis Coupe
>would love to start pouring money into modifications
Why? I honestly don't get it why would anyone want to buy a hyundai in first place. Checked the prices on these.. You can get a decent 996 for that money.
>>
>>14655797
It's still a Porsche. There really is no such thing as a cheap Porsche.
>>
File: 1.jpg (61 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
61 KB, 600x450
My suggestion for you Op is to skip the 944 as a first learner and lean towards an early 90s Honda or a 60-79 American car as both are dead simple to work on. My money would be on old and American as you will learn the ins and outs of the mechanical systems. This can then be adapted to new technologies and is great experience to have. The Honda is a close second, though you are limited on power because of the grip the tires would have to provide whilst being skinny. Yes, you can buy woder fronts but only so wide and rigid can you make them before harming your steering throw.

Tl;dr Skip the 944 for now and get an old Murrican V8 to learn on. Pic related, my current Mopar
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.