[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Miata problems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Attach0.jpg (760 KB, 1714x1282) Image search: [Google]
Attach0.jpg
760 KB, 1714x1282
Hey /o/, i have a 97 miata, and it drove great until a couple of days ago when suddenly the engine produced like literally no power (inb4 miatas are slow). So now the car wont rev anymore, it takes like five seconds of full throttle at idle for the car to reach 4k rpms. Also the only code its throwing out is a cylinder 3 misfire. Ive already replaced spark plug and spark plug wires, and put full synthetic oil in it. What the fuck is wrong with my piece of shit /o/?
>>
Fuel pump? Crank sensor? Coil pack?
>>
>>14649202

Its not the cas and coil packs, ive checked those. How would i go about checking the fuel pump?
>>
File: converting.jpg (189 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
converting.jpg
189 KB, 960x720
>>14649172
you sir, have a air flow problem, clogged air filter? plugged muffler? fucked up catalytic?
>>
>>14649172
Spun a bearing?
>>
>>14650631
oh christ what the fuck is that?
>>
>>14650705

A spun bearing would be far more obvious and would produce a knocking sound from the engine.

Source - Spun a bearing in an MX-5 doing 100MPH in a desert
>>
>>14650631
Agreed it could be a plugged cat which can lead to significant power loss
>>
Sounds like a clogged catalytic converter.
>>
>>14650778
A catalytic converter
>>
>>14650994
this is kind of like saying that active volcano over there is just a hill
>>
>>14649172
What happens when you manually open the throttle body?
>>
>>14649172

Check your oil. I did not experienced it, so i might be wrong, but it could be the piston rings going to shit. You could be losing compression and with that maybe burning oil
>>
>>14651161
That happened in my preclude, but it still accelerated and on one start up, smoked from the tail pretty bad. Drove it for a few days, then it never started back up. There was a misfire, and plenty of oil visible on the spark plug.
>>
>>14651192
Prelude
>>
>>14651192
well, unless all his piston rings failed at once (i am sure he would notice tho) and after replacing the sparkplugs the problem persist, it could be a carb/fuel injection issue or a fucked up timing belt.
>>
>>14651203
I've owned a miata with the timing off a tooth. It's slower, but I drove around the city for 4 years with it.

OP, did you fuck with the MAF? If it is tampered with, the engine will not be able to calculate how much air it is getting, even if you are at full throttle.

It rarely fails on its own, but it is possible. The sensor uses a metal clip that should be able to move freely, but locks in place if the MAF is tampered with.

Check for any possible vacuum leaks to rule that out. Could be a clogged injector, but the only time I've had a miata be THAT slow, was on two cylinders (somehow, my friend drove hard enough to pop two spark plug wires loose).

Blocked cat would be pretty obvious, but I've heard of people running a gallon of denatured alcohol in a tank to clean them out. Other option is to get under and remove it, which is never fun.

A faulty or blocked injector is possible, but like I've said, even on three cylinders the miata isn't as slow as that. Clogged filter or pump.
>>
>>14651301
>I've owned a miata with the timing off a tooth
Yeah, but from what OP says, if his problem is not just about sensors doing shit (doubtful, since his car is 1997) it could be that his timing belt somehow got fucked up by a few tooths.

Not enough to destroy his valves nor fuck anything major, but it could be it.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.