[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey there /o/ I'm looking for a cheap commuter/dog hauler.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: protege5.jpg (159 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
protege5.jpg
159 KB, 1024x768
hey there /o/

I'm looking for a cheap commuter/dog hauler. I want a hatchback or wagon that gets 30+mpg, has a manual transmission, power windows/locks and cruise and less than 150k miles for ~$4500 or less. don't want a Subaru because I've had nothing but shit luck with them and I don't know if they pull 30mpg anyway.

so at this point I've found two cars: first one is a dark blue 2003 Toyota Matrix XR with 145k for $4390 and the second is a 2003 Mazda Protege5 in yellow with 120k for $3995.

I don't know much about either car, I do think the Mazda seems cooler but the yellow is somewhat obnoxious, the Matrix is hideous but has dat Toyota reliability.

which would you choose? what other vehicles should I look into?
>>
From what I've heard xr parts are hard to come by, but that may just be the xrs model. But they are nice looking cars! Also, something something mazda reliability meme something
>>
>>14647932
Perhaps a camry wagon?
>>
>>14647932
I would think it would just be the XRS parts that would be hard to find given there is no shortage of XR's for sale. But really I have no idea, I've never owned an import before lol.

>>14647933
Is a Camry wagon even a thing?
>>
>>14647941
Gotta be just the xrs, the base and xr have the same model as a pontiac vibe. They partnered with Yamaha and from what I've read it's not a bad engine. And yeah man, camry wagons are a little hard to fine but that 3.0 will treat you nicely! Last suggestion would be a low mile volvo wagon, pretty sure they where engineered by actual dogs.
>>
>>14647911
why can't any car be a dog hauler?
>>
>>14648766
because he does better in the car when I can put his bed somewhere flat and he can lay down.

any other suggestions? can't seem to find any Volvos that aren't in need of repairs, did find another Protege5, this one's red with 120k miles and looks to be even cleaner than the yellow one.
>>
>>14649212
I have experience with a protege 5. They are good cars. They can get rust on suspension parts. So check for that. Also listen for valve train noise. If it's excessive, avoid it. If there are any oil leaks, avoid it. They are sensitive to oil type and being even a little bit low
>>
volvo 240
>>
>>14649212
post your local craigslist. can you spend any more than 4500?
>>
>>14647911
03 matrixes have manual transmission problems at about 150k
>>
>>14649303
This, the 03 and 04 manuals didn't account for the Matrix's extra weight.

I have a 03 awd xr automatic, it's pretty slow, but a useful car.
>>
>>14649255
good info, thanks

>>14649267
madison.craigslist.org/cta
can also search in milwaukee, maybe chicago but I'd rather not go there if I don't have to

>>14649303
>>14649310
how are the automatics? not entirely against them but my truck is an auto so I was hoping for something ever so slightly more engaging to drive.
>>
>>14649331
http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/5455811199.html
Offer $300.
>>
>>14649347
gonna have to pass on that one.
>>
>>14649358
I would so fast. But then I love corollas
>>
>>14649375
lol I'm looking for something that'll last a couple years. if I bought something like that I would probably get bored and wreck it within a month.
>>
>>14649387
You don't know much about corollas do you?
>>
>>14649401
you underestimate me. have you ever driven a car off of a moving flatbed? it breaks a lot more shit than you would think.
>>
>>14649406
y tho?
>>
>>14649421
because that's the kind of thing that just seems to happen when I buy a car that costs less than a weeks pay. it gets dicks spraypainted all over it, goes through a few sessions of shopping cart autocross, and gets jumped off of something and/or crashed to the point of being undriveable
>>
>>14649358
http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/5469595092.html
nice old accord, rear seats fold flat i bet.

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/5491359516.html
2.slow but with that many miles it's probably pretty sorted

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/5488433753.html
saaab

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5461939438.html
Super nice but it's in chicago. You could probably get it for $3500
>>
>>14649460
the red one is actually the one I mentioned earlier. I'm trying to contact the seller now because that one looks like it'd be perfect, my only concern is that he lists it has a short throw as its only mod which always makes me worry it was modded, beaten to shit and then put back to stock.
>>
>>14647911
I test drove a Protege5 and it was pretty fun. Very hard suspension though, so be warned about that.

If you could find something like 540i wagon in Manual, that would be my first choice. Also an SVT Focus would be fun but may not be spacious enough for you.
>>
>>14649496
I wouldn't worry about that. The service records and no rust are the important parts.

>>14649504
540i wagons were never in manual (at least in the us). You'd have to swap it.
>>
>>14649525
Makes sense, don't think a swap would be worth the time, might still be fun in Automatic (or might be worth checking out a 530 if those came in manual/wagon)
>>
>>14649358
>>14649347
C'mon OP , Its a corrolla , you could get it nice and clean with a couple bucks
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.