[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im at my wits end, I bought my moms automatic 1995 e34 bmw 525i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7
File: 20150810_221810495_iOS.jpg (1 MB, 2687x2423) Image search: [Google]
20150810_221810495_iOS.jpg
1 MB, 2687x2423
Im at my wits end, I bought my moms automatic 1995 e34 bmw 525i off of her because she needed money for her business she started like 10 years ago,

anyway long story short, I have had to replace the injector on cyl #5, (misfire) and totally replace all the seals and o rings in the transmission.

Transmission is put back in, shifts fine, stuff is ok on that end. But Now its dying at stopsigns / redlights and also if I get it good and hot it will start dying when i change from Park to Reverse or Drive.

It's not an abrupt stop (like letting out a clutch improperly). But this is an automatic. Im thinking idle control valve or possibly o2 sensor? Has me completely baffled because there is no check engine light and the little computer on the dash doesnt complain about anything other than my wiper fluid level.

What the heck dudes? I know car guys generally don't like bimmer people but I really just need to get this sorted so I can have a good commute car, Not looking to rice or upgrade, just need to get around

Sorry for the really long post
TLDR; Bmw 1995 525i stalls out and dies when putting in R or D (automatic trans) after a while of driving. it DOES NOT do this cold. trans shifts fine.
>>
>>14645361
Have you run a compression and leak down test?

> Nice and hot

First thought it bad head. But I'm also groggy from meds. Any CEL?
>>
sounds like the kind of problems an O2 sensor or crankshaft position sensor would cause.
>>
File: tranny swap.jpg (852 KB, 2598x1477) Image search: [Google]
tranny swap.jpg
852 KB, 2598x1477
>>14645361
when it stalls it "chokes out" the rpms drop and it loses energy and chokes. It's not like the all of the sudden 'jerk" you get from letting out the clutch improperly on a 5 spd. Makes me think it has something to do with air fuel mixture ratio, MAF, O2 sensor, or something?

>>14645377
I ran compression test but it was while it was cold. The compression across all cyl turned out nominal. But then again I have not tested it while hot, Could it be cylider rings getting ready to go out?

Also when we dropped the transmission we had to totally d/c the exhaust which also meant cutting the wires on the o2 sensor , could an improper splice cause this?

(Reason why we had to do that is because on my factory exhaust the o2 sensor was "welded" into the exhaust. had to cut wires and resolider.

Should that be the first thing I look at before taking out the ICV and cleaning it with carb cleaner?

I should also note that this set for around 4 years before re-servicing. Thanks for the responses so far guys
>>
>>14645385
It sounds like I need to get underneath it and jack it up and check the O2 sensor before even messing with the ICV and MAF, right?

I just want to get it fixed, its been very frustrating and Ive been having mechanics mess with this car since early november last year
>>
I should also add that there is no check engine light so its not throwing any usable codes I could ODB.
>>
>>14645397
definitely check that splice. a bad reading will cause incorrect fuel delivery. o2 sensors also aren't used by the computer until it is hot.
>>
send pic of splice job
>>
>>14645456
>inb4 scotchlocks
>>
File: 1452802822665.jpg (44 KB, 484x495) Image search: [Google]
1452802822665.jpg
44 KB, 484x495
>>14645427
Thanks will do early morning
>>14645456

Unfortunately I dont have a pic at the moment, On these e34 its hard to get to without unbolting the trans. We had some students at the local tech school (lead by an ASE Certified Tech teacher)

>>14645475
I dont think they used that, but then again I'm not sure.

Do I just need to bite the bullet and get a new exhaust with new O2 and hookups?

Like I said In OP im at my wits end, I want this stupid thing just to run right.
>>14645475
>>
File: 1431755935234.jpg (20 KB, 431x399) Image search: [Google]
1431755935234.jpg
20 KB, 431x399
>>14645581
>had some students and teacher ase work on it*

Sorry. it's been a long day messing around with this mess Thank you so much bros for the responses so far, much appreciated
>>
>>14645581
not a bmw guy but surely there is a aftermarket pipe with sensor bung

or like a way to weld your own bung and wire in a connector so you can use some compatible o2 sensor that isn't hard wired like the cheap Chevy ones
>>
>>14645361
Just manual swap it desu
>>
File: 1432787352831.gif (2 MB, 300x365) Image search: [Google]
1432787352831.gif
2 MB, 300x365
>>14645605
this is hard wired its a GM shitty trans

BMW sent their 5 series into this.
I will be replacing the o2 sensor (and likely the exhaust, 2 bird with one stone eh)

I have to really commend you guys you havent been hateful or shitty like /g/ does when I as a legitimate computer question.

Thank you for the responses thus far.
>>
File: 1435522794114.jpg (51 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1435522794114.jpg
51 KB, 500x500
>>14645706
Oh god. I want to. You dont even realize how much I want to.

Put that e34 inline 8 with a manual swap holeey shit..

But lets be realistic. I can buy another tran for like 400 bucks with a 1 yr warranty but I dont think anythings wrong with tran. It shifts find. That show "shifting into d and r" is likely attributed to a mix-match of air flow to fuel mixture (im looking at you ICV, MAF, OC2)

I will check all these out, I got a jack recently so i can go underneath it and eff around. Not sending it back down to the trade school because they take like 2 weeks just to do anything.

Really though Much appreciated on the well thought out replies thanks guys any more suggestions please let me know.
>>
>>14645735
>I can buy another tran for like 400 bucks with a 1 yr warranty
For a BMW? That's the price for a reman Turbo350 20 years ago.
>>
>>14645421
>not throwing any usable codes I could ODB.
Clean out your intake manifold. PCV and EGR fill it with tar and it fucks up things like IAC and throttle body and vacuum connections and sheeit.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.