[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to know more about Saturn. Are they reliable or worth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: saturn-car-logo-4.jpg (46 KB, 530x530) Image search: [Google]
saturn-car-logo-4.jpg
46 KB, 530x530
I want to know more about Saturn. Are they reliable or worth owning at all nowadays? Cheap parts? Good gas mileage? I'm interested in the sl series, ion series, and vue
>>
>>14645020
I have a 2004 v6 Fwd Vue, It's fast as fuck. pretty reliable except the front suspension is under equipt for the weight of the Big Honda V6 engine so the ball joints are always fucked and tends to kill the brakes.

I put a big vtec sticker on my rear glass and Honda Bros always try and call me out on it. But then I Just hit vtec and launch like the Saturn Vue Vtec faggot I am.
>>
Manuals versions are ok but the automatics are Honda tier bad

Not only that but the majority of the previous owners have had overheating issues
>>
>>14645038
I drive one too. Steering feels like shit to me and the torque steer is ludicrous. It's not comfortable either.
It's got a great engine, but the rest of the car fucking sucks.
I know I need tires, but that engine can break them loose even when it's already moving. It's retarded.
>>
>>14645071
0-60 in 6.8 seconds. And first gear granny shifts. with some basic mods the vue could be a real weapon
>>
from vague things i have heard over the years;
the ones before 2000 were super reliable and easy as fuck to fix
post 2000 reliability varies a lot an there was lots of cost cutting.

those plastic body panels make them always look new though
>>
>>14645020
I've driven at least 4 different saturn cars that my family has owned over the years. The first SL1 my dad bought new in like 1996 is still running with well over 300k miles. In fact all of them are over 250k and doing fine.

On the SL series get a manual, they're just better than the autos.

They burn through oil as they age, but enjoy your 35+mpgs and minimal maintenance.

I like them as a cheap shitbox commuter, and dent resistant door panels.

Their climate control fan is too weak though. It never seems like it pushes enough air out. And if you have the AC on, good luck passing anyone on the highway.
>>
>>14645020
Their logo is the planet Saturn. The thick line on top is the ring, and the line on the right is half of the planet
>>
>>14645071
>but that engine can break them loose
Underinflating the tires can make them break loose...
>>
>>14645020

Cheap AF with okay reliability too. It's the only decent thing to come from GM during the 2000s being being pushed under the bus for bailouts.
>>
My dad had a '95 SL2 for a time. It was an excellent car and I'd love to get one for myself but they're all thrashed.
>>
>>14645038
How's your transmission?
the Vues are beautiful for SUVs but both the Honda and GM transmissions are known for losing their driving gears.
>>
2002 and earlier are the only true Saturns.
>>
>>14648136
the vue has just over 300k km and the transmission still feels perfect
>>
I drive a 2003 Saturn Ion. I bought the thing in desperation a couple years back because I needed something to move me from point A to B for a few weeks. Paid 800 bucks, thing was in disgusting shape, but after cleaning the entire things inside and out about 5 times it was looking alright (the seats stain easily...).

After that though it's been a surprisingly great little car. I bought it at 189,000 miles, and it now has 260,000. Over all I've still paid less than 1,700 with the biggest expense being new tires.

There is an ignition switch problem that people whine about but GM recalled it. Other than that though, I haven't had any problems.

I've since made enough to buy newer nicer cars easily but this has been way to reliable and affordable to part with it. I'm curious if I can get it to 300,000 without any major problems.
>>
They're pretty reliable, especially the SC/SL series, I had a 2002 SC2. I was in a wreck and now I have a 2005 Ion coupe. Ive only had it for a couple months with little issues. The SC2 seemed to eat through oil though, the AC also went out not long before I wrecked it, but I wouldn't consider those major issues. They both get great gas mileage, easily up to 35 per gallon. Plus suicide doors on the coupes are great, it makes normies think I have a super unique car and makes loading the back seats extremely easy.

I wouldn't mind getting a Sky Redline and/or Ion Redline as a second car or DD respectively
>>
A first gen s series with the ll0 engine, which is every one of the second level cars when paired with the 5 speed is a sub $1000 40mpg+ car that no one knows about. Gl finding one through
>>
>>14648136
i have done three transmission jobs on vues. then my buddy wanted to get one. I warned him he still bought it and on a road trip through the smokys his trans took a shit.
>>
File: IMG_0602.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0602.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>14645020
get an Ion Redline and smoke JDM fags all day
>>
File: 02-05_Saturn_Vue.jpg (612 KB, 2247x1284) Image search: [Google]
02-05_Saturn_Vue.jpg
612 KB, 2247x1284
>>14645020
I almost bought one for 4k, something about its aesthetics pleases me.
>>
Is it true that the Skies have transmission issues? I've heard its pretty universal amongst Saturns
>>
>>14653551
Not likely.
The Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice were parts-bin cars, so any problems they have would be something shared with the "donor model", as it were. IIRC they had transmissions (either only the manual or only the auto, can't remember which) from the Chevy Colorado, so you'll have to ask yourself if the Colorado had tranny issues, and with which transmission.
>>
>>14651248
It's a handsome suv. I had one once, awd v6 leather interior very comfy quiet ride loads of room, got 28 mpg on the highway, Americans really know how to make SUVs. Sucks about the jaydeem tranny, they're known to be the weak link
>>
>>14654233

I AM HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED IN THE LACK OF AN ANGRY FACE ON THAT SATURN.
>>
My 2007 ION has had 7 recalls, and the road noise is horrendous, but other than that it's a solid car.
>>
>>14645020
They are GM economy cars so they may fall apart after a few years. If you are looking for shitbox to push, a newer Saturn is fine. Make sure all the recalls have been performed.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.