[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isnt there cheap electric sports cars?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 918.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
918.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1333
Why isnt there cheap electric sports cars?
>>
>>14643803
give it 25 years and there will be. You were born too early.
>>
Relatively new technology with high R&D costs, limited production and interest.
>>
they have to make money somehow
>>
>>14643803
Try to look for a cheap electric car first.
>>
>>14643803
Because they're complicated.

http://www.thedrive.com/article/2527/subaru-may-have-a-mid-engined-hybrid-sports-car-coming

But theoretically, they're great. True torque vectoring and energy recapture at the front wheels, with your ICE providing power to the rear for that slight disposition towards oversteer.

>>14643817
No, hybrid first, then full electric.
>>
>>14643850
>No, hybrid first, then full electric.
You misunderstood the faggoty-ass tripfag. No cheap electric cars means no cheap electric sports cars either.
>>
There are some relatively cheap electric kit cars. Dont expect them to run for very long though.
>>
>>14643817
you can buy a prius for under 20k you stupid nigger
>>
>>14643803
Because batteries are fucking expensive. Lithium is rare, and the biggest untapped resources of it are under fucking Afghanistan.
>>
>>14643877
A prius isn't electric holy shit you're dumb
>>
pure EV sports cars?
>batteries are still expensive
>batteries are still heavy
>range anxiety
it's pretty much just a matter of waiting for r&d to catch up
>>
>>14644251
Its called a hybrid. Like the one posted in OP.
>>
>>14643995

THIS.

Batteries are the ONLY thing holding electric cars back. Nothing can currently match the energy density and ease of dispensing of fossil fuels. Nature had millions of years to perfect it. We're still working on it.

Everything else is done and proven. Electric cars will advance as batteries advance. This is why all the R&D is into battery tech and economies of scale.

A hot-swap battery tech system could greatly help with adoption, but only if oil is over $100 / bbl.
>>
>>14643803

>Electric
>Sports car

Pick one
>>
>>14644396
battery hot swapping is its own nightmare in terms of infrastructure, better to invest in fast charging technology
>>
>>14644399

Google "IOM electric" to see Isle of Mann electric motorcycle racers. In the past 5 years it's been an evolution.

Here, I'll do it for you. This is from last year. They're going forward each year in huge leaps. It's still about the batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN9uqEx0t6A
>>
>>14644399
>near instant torque.
>>
Good electric motors are affordable and reliable, the problem is that batteries with good energy density are expensive as fuck.

I wanna start playing around with electric RC cars, it looks like fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4yszKYRQyc

I think it might also help me have a better understanding of voltage, current and resistance.
>>
>>14643803
I think the best you could do is a $55K used Tesla Roadster.
>>
>>14643850
>True torque vectoring and energy recapture at the front wheels, with your ICE providing power to the rear for that slight disposition towards oversteer
So like the new NSX everyone seems to hate?
>>
>>14645078
Why not just use super capacitors and a gas engine as a generator?
>>
>>14645078
Electric RC Cars are basically what got me into cars, Anon. Starting from the basic walmart shit to the really complicated hobby grade stuff and now real cars.

They're loads of fun, especially if you buy the kit.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.