[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1976 BMW 530i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 00k0k_1PhKqSY4ba2_600x450.jpg (43 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00k0k_1PhKqSY4ba2_600x450.jpg
43 KB, 600x450
1976 BMW 530i with 176,000 miles in good running condition. Apparently has been garaged its whole life and has only had one owner. Comes with good titles and all that jazz. As far as I can tell from the photos is looks perfect (rust free, etc)

I'm hoping to use it as a daily driver. Non car friends are trying to talk me out of it, but I've heard nothing but good things about BMW m30s. What do you guys think?

Asking price is $4k
>>
>>14640103
Do you have the money to keep up with finding parts for a 40-year old BMW when it needs it.
>>
>>14640103
Do it OP. Life's too short to drive boring cars.
>>
>>14640129
That was supposed to be a question, sorry. But it is an important one: BMW parts are already expensive, and you're going to be having to find shit they stopped making in the 70s or making them yourself.
>>
>>14640129
any ideas what i would be looking at? Only ever driven lexus where maintenance is next to nothing.
>>
>>14640147
>Never dealt with BMW maintenance before

Anon, I really hope you can wrench yourself. Because otherwise you will be spending a lot of money at specialty mechanics and sourcing really old parts.

I'm not saying they're particularly unreliable, but BMWs are not like Toyotas where parts and maintenance are as cheap as tap water.
>>
>>14640175
Is it naive to think i can make a hobby out of it? I like working with my hands and would be eager to learn.
>>
>>14640194
Oh, not at all. If you've got the passion to do the work, and you keep up with its regular maintenance like clockwork, it will be a good car. Just be aware that the parts will likely still be expensive, and make sure you get the repair manuals for the thing.

Also, join the enthusiasts forums for the M30 and make yourself known. Getting in with the enthusiasts gets you access to the combined knowledge of hundreds of years experience working on the cars, and access to parts that would otherwise be hard to find.
>>
>>14640146
Don't listen to this casual. All the E** model onwards parts can be found when cross referenced between realoem.com and pelicanparts.com.

And don't listen to any of the other casuals here who have a phobia of anything older than 10 years. If you can turn a spanner, you'll enjoy it.
>>
only trim pieces would be a little difficult, the m30 engine is a beast. they are very reliable and have a fair amount of torque. if the car looks like what you are after then get it, great learning curve. even check out the e28, e24 or e30.

Pic related
>>
File: IMG_1086.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1086.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>14640231
my headgasket was 18 dollars AUS brand new. the engine and chassis parts are pretty reliably found on ebay or the racing bmw sites that keep popping up these days.
>>
>>14640279
Infact, you only need to get parts numbers from "realoem.com" (using the last seven digits from you VIN), then a simple copy/pasta into eBay has always yielded result for all the shit I've needed for the E28s I've had over the years.
>>
Any ideas for a rough annualized cost of ownership?
>>
>>14640447
How long is a piece of string?
So long as you have a model specific workshop manual, a set of tools and an internet connection, no more than any other shitbox from that era.
>>
Any strategies for negotiating a price? Originally listed as $5k, but he's brought it down to $4k over the course of the past month.
>>
>>14640447
depends on how it was treated previously. in my first year of owning e30 I spent about 1k in total on repairs/ general refreshing, including tires.

Since then I just have to do oil, fluids, and other usual maintenance.
Not too bad imo

Older cars are really easy to work on. Chances are you won't find parts in most stores locally, but there are a lot of classic BMW parts online.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.