[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
toyota supra
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Supra3.jpg (118 KB, 1023x481) Image search: [Google]
Supra3.jpg
118 KB, 1023x481
Hey /o/ I've been looking for a older car to learn to wrench on and eventually have a fun car to drive around in. I found a 82 supra for 2000. The story on it is it was the woman's ex's car and she got it in a settlement. It hasn't moved in 6 years but still starts when the battery is hooked up.
Just wondering what kind of things it should be wary of and look for given the age and the fact that it's been sitting for so long. Would really appreciate the help.
Nice supra pics welcome to
>>
You want a first car to learn to wrench on. Don't buy a supra. They are finicky cars and do not like being fucked with.
You want to learn to wrench get a Honda or a Chevrolet.
>>
>>14631691
I'm also looking at getting an old toyota to work on. If you think you're up for it, go for it. It'd be a fun experience. I have a mk3 supra that would be super complicated to work on, (lots of vacuum hoses and very little room) but i'm not sure about the mk2 supras. They might be alright to work on. Great looking cars too.

Make sure you drain and replace all the fluids since it's been sitting for so long. Even if it still starts, it wouldn't be wise to drive without doing that at the very least.
>>
>>14631712
I have a reliable DD as it is which is why I want something interesting to learn on. I wouldn't have it as my only car.
>>
>>14631766
Ya, I'm for sure going to do that, il probably start with just general maintenence first like fluids and brakes then move up from there.
What kind if car are you planning to try to find?
>>
>>14631815
You want a pain in the ass car to work on that's easy. A 2000s audio or volkwagen.
A 1.8 golf or a4
>>
>>14631712
he said 1982 not 2002
>>
>>14631839
85-87 Corolla gts. There's one near my house but every time I go by there's no-one home. I think they're on holiday or something right now.
>>
>>14631874
>VAG
>ever not being a pain in the ass to wrench on
>>
>>14631916
I've considered that but they never show up here except in RHD jdm flavor
>>
OP here
Any suggestions on alternatives of similar years? Preferably rwd?
>>
Mk2 supras are pre good I have one in aus which is a little different.

Reliable things and they're seriously cheap in the states I'd spend the extra money and get one with minimal rust. Pic is a 82 L type. P types have different wheels and flares and interiors make sure you know the difference and know which one you want.
>>
File: images.jpg (27 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
27 KB, 443x332
>>14631691
Nice Supra pics?
>>
>>14631955
>thinks the VR6 is a PITA to work on
>laughingwhores.mov

Get gud phaggot. The VR6 is one of the easiest European engines to wrench on.
>>
This is just general old car advice. I've had a '76 Cadillac and currently have an '83 Grand Prix.

Everything rubber will need to be replaced. Pretty much all the vacuum lines, all the brake flex lines, suspension bushings are probably shot or close to it, body bushings probably about the same. Tires are usually dry rotted and cracked if it's cheap. Brake fluid should probably be replaced, but that'll happen anyway when you replace the flex lines. Expect lots of small problems. Everything is close to worn out, and things will be failing every now and then for a while. If it was parked on grass, replace the brake hard lines...random leaks suck when you're 20 miles from home.

Expect to do more or less all the maintenance it is possible to do. Plugs, wires, rotors, pads, very possibly calipers. Dunno if it has drums in the back, but wheel cylinders seem to fail readily too. Fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, pretty much everything that can possibly wear out will need to be replaced.

More or less plan to replace/repair everything short of the engine/trans/rear end and the chassis itself and you should be good to go.
>>
>>14632065
Thanks man, il just have to find a good parts source then!
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.