[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never done anything mechanical but I want to build
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 625x417) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 625x417
I've never done anything mechanical but I want to build a cafe racer. I just want to know what kind of resources I should use to guide me through the process. What kind of base bike should I start with? Anyone who can give me pointers too would be sweet.
>>
What displacement? How aggressive? (i.e. do you really want clip-ons?)
>>
>>14629585
>buy bike
>change bars and seat
Everyone will hate you for changing the bars and seat.
>>
>>14629604
I don't give a fuuuuuck
>>
>>14629629
Good.
Just warning you
>>
>>14629594
This is how bad I am. I don't even know how displacement would affect me. What sites can I check out to learn about all the basics before I start?
>>
>>14629658
City bike? Highway maybe? Freeway maybe?
It doesn't sound like you have skill for freeway.
>>
>>14629663
Definitely just a city bike
>>
>>14629673
So anything under 400cc is fine.
I had a CM200t that would do 55 easy. So you want light and simple for city.
>>
>>14629673
What do you weigh / how tall are you?
>>
>>14629688
150 lb 6'
>>
The SYM Classic 150 (see the bottom of >>>14628819 ) new might be easier. There's also Cleveland Cycle Works.
>>
>>14629700
http://clevelandcyclewerks.com/misfit-details-gen-ii/

A big over $3k for the 250. Doubtful you'll be able to build one yourself for less.
>>
>>14629700
>>14629734
Fucking junk. Stop shilling this shit
>>
>>14629738
If OP really isn't mechanically inclined and is on a limited budget something like that would be the way to go IMO.

If he was mechanically inclined (i.e. he was in for buying an old bike to restore and convert) he wouldn't be asking simple questions like what is displacement. If he has the bucks he probably wouldn't be asking about 'building': he'd just go buy a Triumph or something.
>>
>>14629784
I do want to buy an old bike and restore it. I just want to know what kind of resources I can use to start learning about the shit I need to understand to get good
>>
>>14629811
http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

Read and absorb everything here and you'll be set.
>>
Grab an 80's Japanese bike and start ripping it up. I see CB750s torn down all the time. Just about any bike will work. But it will be difficult if you don't know how to; fix engines, tune carbs, weld, paint (paint good), and have a bunch of tools at your disposal.

Not trying to talk you down, but is a monstrous amount of work even for someone with a garage full of tools to do.
>>
>>14629821
Thank you. This is helpful
>>
>>14629860
Really fantastic resource. The guy is quite entertaining to read also, plus hilarious geocities-tier web design.
>>
File: cafe racer rider.jpg (39 KB, 415x753) Image search: [Google]
cafe racer rider.jpg
39 KB, 415x753
>>14629585
Make sure you get the proper riding gear for this hipster fad.

Pic related pretty much has all the bases covered, safety-wise. Can't have a helmet messing up that $45 haircut.
>>
>>14630334

>skinny jeans
>sweater

1/10 for reply
>>
>>
I wanna post my own but I don't trust yall
>>
>>14631368
Just don't post the plate.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.