[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of DCT?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: dctshiftlever.jpg (74 KB, 1280x782) Image search: [Google]
dctshiftlever.jpg
74 KB, 1280x782
What do you guys think of DCT?
>>
>>14629252
its shit.
emulates a torque converter and slips the clutch at idle. press the brake down a bit, still slips the clutch.
slow as shit
rev matches takes too long. slow
>>
>>14629296
You might be mistaken with SMG? Dual clutch transmissions are usually pretty damn good. Haven't driven a BMW one yet, though.
>>
It's pretty neat.

but if i had the option, i'd get the cheaper manual.
>>
>>14629252
They're only good because BMW's manuals are complete and utter crap
>>
>>14629314
I would say that's a fair judgement of what that poster has done. I've got an E92 DCT and it's fricken awesome. Lightning gear changes, no way people can change that quick smoothly. 0-60 in 4.1 :)
>>
Even the Veloster has a DCT now.

I had no idea how common they have become.
>>
I like my miata, I love the manual gearbox in that car
I like my Passat, I love(for what it is) the automatic gearbox in that car
Basically it comes down to what the car is and what works best with it? Manual sports cars rock but manual grocery getters can be obnoxious.
>>
>>14629252
less fun but strictly faster than a manual. you have less overall control of the cars functions though.
>>
I really don't understand how people think DCT's are a direct replacement for manuals in fun factor.

Everyone acts like they're somehow "more engaging with faster shift speeds" but in reality they're just as soul sucking as any other automatic.

Clicking paddles isn't fucking engaging at all and just piss you off with terrible rev-matching.

They give you a sense of "control" but will automatically shift gears or simply deny input to prevent hitting the redline.
>>
>>14631476
Last part isn't necessarily true for all DCTs.

Someone who enjoys a manual should and would steer clear though.

Manuals being for old-timers resistant yo change is a different discussion.
>>
>>14629252
A 'clever' solution to something that isn't a problem.
>>
>>14629252
I love how they make it look like an actual manual. Look at that ridiculous knob shifter and leather linkage cover. It's like BMW is ashamed of what they're doing. Truly hilarious.
>>
>>14631919
>Automatic sports shifter
a y y l m a o
>>
>>14631258
Only the normal one, the veloster turbo has traditional automatic to handle the increased power. DCTs won't be widespread till awhile, they can't handle decent power without being expensive.
>>
newest ones are fine
ones that were a few years old would burn the clutch alot driving slow, or when some finesse is needed
>>
>>14629252
Manual purists hate it, but they know deep down it is the best.
>>
File: 1398809365853.jpg (97 KB, 626x460) Image search: [Google]
1398809365853.jpg
97 KB, 626x460
It's cuck shit.
>>
>>14631509
Unless you're driving some high end sports car, chances are the DCT isn't going to let you bang off the limiter or do whatever the fuck you want.

People like to pretend their Volkswagen or Ford duel clutch is the same as those found in Audi's or BMW's.
>>
File: 1404088150774.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1404088150774.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>14632830

>mfw I work with a VW TDI Golf faggot who said EXACTLY what you just said
>"you know like, my car has the same transmission they put in Audis so it's really fast"
>>
>>14629252
How is the ralliart DCT BTW? I keep hearing mixed things about it
>>
File: not_hungry_anymore.jpg (21 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
not_hungry_anymore.jpg
21 KB, 236x354
>>14633158

It's sub-par shit like everything Mitsubishi makes.
>>
>>14633158
Jerky at low speeds, great on open roads. The Ralliart would've sold better if they offered a 5spd manual alongside the DCT.
>>
>>14633158
SST is pretty good for driving, just not very reliable. Mitsu makes really good 5spds though. CVT is supposed to be shit.
>>
>>14629296
You sound like you're confusing DCT with CVT, what you're describing lines up exactly with my experience in a rental nissan versa note
>>
File: type_r.jpg (91 KB, 960x955) Image search: [Google]
type_r.jpg
91 KB, 960x955
>>14629252
Theoretically I think they're great. If I had to drive an auto, i'll pick a DCT.

Implementation.. I've only experienced 2
VW's in a Eos gas and Alfa's Giulietta diesel

The VW's was... meh.
Alfa's was AMAZING. It was like driving a stick with no clutch, just wonderful.

People who like the comfort/coasting of a torque converter will hate them no matter what
>>
>>14630510
>BMW's manuals are complete and utter crap

I take it you have never owned an ///M car before
>>
>>14630510
top kek
>>14633662
this. my ///M will never has a dct
>>
>>14632830
>buddy has a scion xb auto
he can sit at the limiter all day
it's a pretty dope "manual" mode
he's even stalled the car
like what the fuck toyota
it's the 05
>>
>>14631476
In a car like most super-GTs, the Porsche 991 Turbo, or generally cars designed more for acceleration than track use, DCTs are fucking amazing. The forward push seamlessly never lets up and that's pretty exhilarating for passing and then driving off or any such things.
>>
>>14634578
That's fucking ridiculous. I like it.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.