[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Talk me out of it, /o/.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4
File: zl1.png (380 KB, 931x363) Image search: [Google]
zl1.png
380 KB, 931x363
Talk me out of it, /o/.
>>
It's a camaro
>>
41k just spend 10 more and get based gt 350
>>
>>14628636
Carmax
>>
File: crashed camaro face.jpg (65 KB, 596x399) Image search: [Google]
crashed camaro face.jpg
65 KB, 596x399
>>14628636
Impossible to see out of
>>
just get the v6 who are you kidding op
>>
>>14628648

I sincerely looked at them but they are all selling way over sticker price usually around the $75-85k range in Central Florida.

>>14628647

But 580 hp still under warranty.

>>14628650

But they have a pretty based warranty service.

>>14628653

Good point.

>>14628654

I already drive a V8, I'm not going for any NA 6-cylinder.
>>
because you could get this instead https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/16637974
>>
>cheap plastic
>cheap plastic
>cheap plastic
>cheap plastic
>>
Why not a 6th Gen?

You could get a clean 1ss for that kind of cash.
>>
Buy a car out of state senpai, much less expensive
>>
>>14628675

I priced out a 2016 2ss - would be right at $55k with all the proper performance related options...and it's what 300 pounds lighter? Might not be a bad option.

Also thought about the M2 for $52k but it's a tad slower.
>>
>>14628636
>pigfat
>ugly
>can't turn
>for a very reasonable 45k
Buy an EVO 8 and use the money you saved to turn it into something light years quicker than this le ebic american muscle :DDDD and then get the fuck out of my face
>>
>no haggle price

Wtf is that
>>
>>14628692
>>can't turn

ZL1's handle exceptionally well at the track
>>
>>14628698
Your autism has been noted anon.
I'll make sure the orderlies don't let you kiddies get access to the WiFi again :^)
>>
>>14628692
why are you on /o/, you don't know shit about cars
>>
>>14628717
Camaro:
>light
>can turn
>can see out of the car
Pick none.
>>
>>14628730

>2013 ZL1 nurburgring: 7:41
>2015 M4 nurburgring: 7:52

Plus there are plenty of video reviews of it on the track complimenting its handling abilities.
>>
>>14628636
noooo dont doooo iiiiit it'll be baaaaad is this convincing yet?
>>
>>14628636
>pigfat bloated ugly caricature of a first gen camaro
>first gen camaros don't even look that good in the first place either
>>
>>14628636
15k more than a c6 z06, slower, uglier, worse mpg, uglier, slower, and uglier. Did I mention it's horrendously fucking ugly?
>>
>>14628636
>pigfat
>>
>>14628773
The ZL1 is a special version of the Camaro, like the GTS is a special version of the M4. And the M4 GTS did the `Ring in 7:27.
Also the Camaro was driven and tested by professional Chevy drivers and the M4 lap time was set by a journalist. I wish BMW set an official lap time for the M4.
>>
>>14628844

The M4 GTS is a concept car and thus would not be comparable to the production ZL1. It would be fair to compare it to the 2017 ZL1 that they're testing at the Ring right now, but those numbers haven't been leaked yet.
>>
>>14628831

There's a 2007 Z06 in my area with 40k miles for $38k. Do you think it's a better option over the ZL1?
>>
File: image.png (114 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
114 KB, 640x1136
>>14628636
Save a little more money and get a new one.
>>
>>14628848
The M4 GTS is a production car though. Have been produced and sold out already.
Sadly I probably won`t be able to afford one soon as they are priced from $134.000...
>>
>>14628865
700 have been produced* and sold out already
>>
>>14628865

I'm pretty sure the one tested at the Ring was a concept version and not the final production version. Sure they won't be completely different but I suspect even at $130K the bean counters did away with some stuff.
>>
>>14628876
>I'm pretty sure the one tested at the Ring was a concept version
Nope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6VrhW6J4Bs
can`t wait to see how it performs on other laps.
>>
>>14628876
Oh and the base M4 is quicker around other laps such as Sachsenring, Hockenheim, so the ZL1 isn`t necessarily faster than the BMW. Not saying it can`t turn and it`s also $9k cheaper than the M4 in America so I guess it all comes down to your preferences.
>>
>>14628636
PART 1
I used to own a zl1 just like that but it was a 13. I DD mine for a year and during that time I grew to learn one thing about it. It was not a complete car.
The ZL1 was not my first high hp car but it was my first high hp car from the factor and to tell you the truth it did not feel like it had been built with that in mind. It really felt like someone had taken a normal SS strapped a supercharger on it and called it a day.
The cars performance was all over the board and was inconsistent at best. Did the engine make 580 hp? yes, but only when the sun, stars and the moon aligned. If the air temp wasn't perfect, or the humility wasn’t just right the ecu would open the bypass value in the supercharge and cut power pretty bad. If couldn't find a gas station with 93 and you were forced to put 91 in the tank the ecu would go into a permanent low boost mode and the only way to get it out of that mode was to disconnect the ECU for 24 hours
The brakes while having good bite quickly faded and gave poor feed back through the petal. They also suffered from cracking and I had to have all 4 rotors replaced under warranty.
>>
>>14628991
Part 2
The steering while quick when it needed to be was very vague and did not provide any real feedback. The suspension only really felt great when in race mode as you had massive body roll in all other settings.

Which leads into the next problem the only way to get the full 580hp and the good suspension mode was to put the PTM into race mode, which contrarily to what you would believe that mode did not disable the nannys but only turned them down. The nannys were the biggest problem in that car they were obviously not retuned for the new horsepower and created very odd behaviors. The biggest and most annoying one was the tail wagging it would do. If the back tires started to break lose the TC/ASC would kick in like normal but there was there was a delay between the tires slipping and the TC/ASC kicking in. Normally this wouldn’t be a big deal but with the zl1 it was because of the torsion locking diff. With a torsion diff it has to let one wheel slip a bit to get the diff to locks up, so you always get a little pull either to the left or right while the diff locks up. The issue was TC/ASC would kick in right as the diff locked up. This would cause the diff to cycle between a locking up and unlocked state which caused the car to wag its tail as one wheel would slip during lock up stepping out to either the left or right the TC/ASC would kick in unlocking the diff and the whole cycle would start again.

The ZL1 is a pony car that thinks big but is lacking a lot of the support systems needed to back that big thinking up
>>
File: image.jpg (266 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
266 KB, 1000x665
>>14628636

They're relatively problem-free like most 5th gens, but it would be good to get it inspected just in case if the previous owner missed any high RPM shifts or something. Also double check the warranty with a GM dealer, sometimes previous owners try to cover up tunes and GM will refuse to honor if they find the previous owner did tune it (which can't be hidden btw). Personally I'd rather have a 1LE for that money, but they aren't out yet and prices haven't been announced.
>>
>>14628991
>>14629000

Thanks.

I guess I'll pass on the ZL1.
>>
>>14628991
>>14629000
>>14629000

Also this dude sounds like he drove a rental. I don't know a single person that dislikes how the ZL1 drives, every reviewer really liked the driving characteristics. I loved the ones that I've driven, granted I haven't owned one. I know for a fact tha 91 will not put it in limp mode, that's all you can get here (altitude affects octane requirements but 91 is fine at sea level), anon may have got a bad batch of gas. If this happens to you it's an easy remedy, you pull two specific fuses overnight and it resets the fuel table. And you can turn off all the Annie's and most people do, putting the car in "competition mode" only enables the launch control feature. To turn off all the nannies you hold the traction control for 7 seconds. It's not a track car, so don't expect it to behave like one. TC gets in the way on just about any car, that's why tracks tell you to turn it off no matter what you're driving. Brake fade is normal, they're meant for a couple hot laps. If you want a full track day out of them swap for some proper pads and rotors like everyone else at the track does. Also air conditions do affect the power, that happens on pretty much any car. Comes with the territory of living where it's hot. Want to avoid that? Buy an electric car, move, or deal with it. The suspension and drivetrain are fantastic so I really doubt you won't have tons of fun with this car.

Here's the real negatives of the car:

>Interior isn't the best quality
>MyLink was great when it came out but new systems are much much better
>Visibility sucks but you get used to it (get one with a backup cam)
>MPG's aren't top nots but they're pretty decent for the power being made
>Insuruance will rape you
>Back seat leg room is a myth (as it is with most sports coupes)
>Car is fairly common (negative if you want to be a special snowflake)
>Car is pig fat
>>
>>14628675
>>14628684
Why even go for a similarly priced 6th gen? It'll depreciate harder than the coveted 5th gen ZL1, and it'll lose a lot of it's value just driving off the lot.
>>
Spend another 10k or get a Corvette, or an SRT you're spending 40k on a camaro
>>
>>14628991
>supercharger cuts power
Can be fixed with a tune. It can even easily exceed stock power using an E85 tune.
>brake fade
Tried a pad upgrade?

>>14629000
>vague suspension
Known magnetic ride problem
>driver can't drive with 5th gen electronics
Driver issue.
>>
>>14628647
/thread
>>
>>14628844
And guess what faggot, what we're debating here is whether or not OP should buy a ZL1
>>
Go for it my dad has the exact same trim and year except in black and jts fast as fuck and a fuckin blast to drive. Just expect to actually watch your gas gauge go down while idling and gun slit windows
>>
>>14628844
Damage Control at it's finest
>>
>>14629098
>"competition mode" only enables the launch control feature.
Sorry you are wrong PTM mode also changes engine output among other things. From the owner manual

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...3&d=1328642737

PERF TRACTION 1 – WET /
ACTIVE HANDLING ON
. Intended for all driver skill levels.
. Wet or damp conditions
only — not intended for use in
heavy rain or standing water.
. StabiliTrak is on and engine
power is reduced based on
conditions.

PERF TRACTION 2 – DRY /
ACTIVE HANDLING ON
. For use by less experienced
drivers or while learning a new
track.
. Dry conditions only.
. StabiliTrak is on and engine
power is slightly reduced based
on conditions.

PERF TRACTION 3 –
SPORT 1 / ACTIVE
HANDLING ON
. For use by drivers who are
familiar with the track.
. Requires more driving skill than
mode 2.
. Dry conditions only.
. StabiliTrak is on and more
engine power is available than in
mode 2.

PERF TRACTION 4 –
SPORT 2 / ACTIVE
HANDLING OFF
familiar with the track.
modes 2 or 3.
. Dry conditions only.
. StabiliTrak is off and available
engine power is available is the
same as mode 3.

PERF TRACTION 5 – RACE /
ACTIVE HANDLING OFF
familiar with the track.
in other modes.
. Dry conditions only.
. StabiliTrak is off and available
engine power is available for
maximum cornering speed. for
Use mode 5 for most consistent
performance during drag strip use.
When the TCS/StabiliTrak button is
pressed again, the vehicle exits
PTM mode and the TCS and
StabiliTrak systems are on.
Use Mode 5 for the most consistent
performance during drag strip use.

> I know for a fact tha 91 will not put it in limp mode

It's not a limp mode just a low octane map with about 100 less horses. Below is the thread that talks about it on the LS3/L99 but it also applies to the LSA engine.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38964
>>
>>14628636
You can get a mint 12/13 ISF or M3 for that money
Literally why lol
>>
>45k
>lemon
>17k of the hardest miles known to man

For 45k you could get no less than 9, COUNT THEM, 9 brand new chevy motors for whatever builds you can dream of.
>>
>>14628656
>can't afford a $200 plane ticket to fly and get a car somewhere cheaper
>can justify spending $50k on a fucking camaro
>>
>>14628660
>https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/16637974
>implying a bank will give you a loan for that
>everyone thinks loan $ = cash $
>>
>>14628636
It's a used $46k Chevy. That's not enough for you?
>>
>>14630108
this
>you can pay someone if you lack the knowledge to source and build you near anything with a new block and fucking save 10-20K
>>
>>14628636
Dude 46k???? Get the base SS and build it up yourself. Save money, experience shit, feel satisfied for making something.
>>
>>14628852
God yes, anon
>>
>>14629642
Nah it just sucks how supposedly slow people consider the M4 to be even there are no official lap times, only laps set by independant reviewers. There is a reason professional drivers are getting better lap times with the slower, weaker M2.
>>
>>14628694
No haggling on the price mebbe
>>
>>14628692
are you the guy that always calls the new classic cars "pigfat" because I've seen you on many threads
>>
>>14628636
Save your future and get the Challenger R/T.
>>
>>14628636
Are you a nigger?
If no, get something else.
If yes, you can't afford it Jamal.
>>
>>14628647
How did OP miss this?
>>
>>14631290
literally wtf..
>>
>>14631286
No, I'm just one of the many many people that recognize the camaro as pigfat.
You'll see other people saying it ITT as well
>>
>>14628703

I would call you a troll but It's obvious you arent up to date on the newer camaros and mustangs
>>
>>14628636
>retro era cancer
if you want a 1960s camaro, buy a 1960s camaro.
>>
>>14628660
>https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/16637974
>VIN not provided
No thanks.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.