[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on the Hyundai Veloster?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
Alright /o/ what do you think about the Hyundai Veloster, specifically the turbo version? I know it's a 1.6 liter and I know it's FWD don't count those as factors but what is the opinion? I want to know before I buy.
>>
Not worth it
>>
for the visibility and lack of practicality you could get V6 moostang or camaro or something and be WAY faster.

also they're not really worth more than 18-19k, but sell for 20-23.
>>
I know they're not fast, I mainly like the look. Right now I have a 2013 Kia Soul (I know, I know) and can get 10-15k for it. Used 2014 Velosters are 15k. I can nearly do a straight trade for a turbo car with some sick looks and features.
>>
you could probably find a focus st thats been on a lot for a while and get it for the same price if not cheaper than an msrp veloster turbo
>>
>>14627004
Yeah probably, but the Focus ST is 450 pounds heavier. So, is the 47hp increase at stock actually worth it?
>>
>>14627000
The veloster looks shit actually, OP. You've been conned.

>slow as fuck
>bad handling as fuck
>expensive for what it is as fuck
>ugly as fuck
>>
>>14626979
Go drive a genesis coupe 3.8 track then the veloster and see why it's such a turd. The benefit of Hyundai is their rapid depreciation. You can find a fully loaded 2013-2014 track 3.8 for around 20k. Much more fun to drive.
>>
>>14627270
Not exactly....lol
>>
>>14627537
lol
>>
>>14626979
Literally a waste of money because the FiST exists.

Test drive both, make sure to find a decent road.
Then make your decision - but so far most everyone is FiST > Veloster Spec-R
>>
>>14627033
Yeah, the focus st blows this thing out of the water. In fact, most hatches do.

The stock fiesta is almost as fast as the veloster turbo roflmao. Do yourself a favor and find a used fiesta ST or focus ST
>>
this thread again?
>>
Fiesta is literally boring. And the Veloster Turbo is actually faster.
>>
>>14629067
Than the base model fiesta? Maybe in a straight line. You can throw even a base fiesta all over the place, they're tight. The Veloster is a slushboat comparatively. I do like the design for the most part though, it is fairly unique. The three door part is pretty cool, if I HAD to have one I would remove the front passenger seat and do something cool with all that leftover space.

A Veloster Turbo will get BTFO by the Fiesta ST though, since we should be comparing the performance version of each car here anyway. I test drove both a couple times on some nice roads. The Veloster Turbo can't hold up against even the Fiesta ST, which I think is fairly towards the bottom of the actual US hot hatch market.

Drive both on some good roads, make a choice
>>
Hey OP
If you like it don't not get it just because this bunch of bench racers talks shit. I'm sure it's fast enough and if you like the look of it just get one and enjoy it.
>>
>>14627000
>I like the looks and am comfortable with the feature set

Then why the fuck are you asking about it, you shill? Just buy it and enjoy it instead of being a sperglord.
>>
>>14627639
FiST?

>>14629175
Haha thanks man.

>>14629156
>>14628996
I like the Veloster mainly for the looks and how different it is, plus it's got a turbo. As much as I'd love to really get into racing I don't know..technically yes there are better cars in the same price point but being so unique you could make one nice show car daily that also happens to pick up when you need it to.
>>
>>14629207
The fanboys for the Ford ST line refers to them in acronym.

Fiesta ST = FiST
Focus ST = FoST
>>
>>14629186
Because mer, justification, mer.

>>14629220
Oh, thank you.
>>
>>14629207
Have you actually driven other cars for comparison shopping? Do yourself the favor of at least going to some dealerships for test drives before making a decision. Outright dropping 20k on something without spending time to investigate your options in that price range is just silly.

You very clearly haven't tried any other hot hatch in the price range, I just want you to make at least a practiced, informed decision.
>>
>>14629243
Originally (three years ago) I was between the Kia Soul and the Hyundai Veloster, the car was my high school graduation gift from my grandfather and my only options were to go with Kia or Hyundai because of the warranty they offer of 10 year 100k miles on the drivetrain. He's still alive so I was going to just keep the Soul until he passed and then get something else like the RS or an STI however with the cost of those and the fact that I'm getting really antsy for a new project daily I was looking at moving to what was my original other choice as the price points are the exact same.
>>
I've had one for a month now. It's not going to win races, but it's reasonably fun, I get about 30mpg, and the hatch is nice.
>>
>>14630275
FM reception is ass though.
>>
File: IMG_20160303_152638.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160303_152638.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
I think they're fine cars if you like them, just go on test drives with other cars in the segment. You probably won't easily fined a used Fiesta ST, but I've seen several Focus STs under 50k miles selling for about $15k.

If you choose the Veloster, don't get the R-spec or whatever it's called in the picture you posted. If I recall it only comes with matte paint, which requires a special cleaning process to not be damaged.
>>
Hyundai's failure of a hot hatch.

Not hot, even the turbo models are weak. There is no aftermarket support to save it.

Not all that hatchy either, shape is pretty impracticable.

Fiesta ST is a better car in every way.
>>
>>14626979
Oh no, not this thread again
>>
>>14630390
Fiesta is boring aesthetically. Plus it's a Ford.

It is not better in every way.
>>
>>14631090
Find me one review online where one person says one thing that the Veloster does better than a Fiesta ST in a comparison, plz.
>>
I just got my first speeding ticket in my NAV.

Even though I was speeding, these things are police magnets.
>>
>>14631098
I just gave you two reasons from my own opinions in a short review of the car online, thx
>>
>>14631124
I hope you buy a fucking R-Spec Veloster then.

>makes thread asking for opinions
>'b-but you guys don't like the car i want?'
>>
>>14631168
Not OP you fucking faggot.

But let me guess, you're the bitch posting your own FiST in every thread hoping to win the affection of other men on a Japanese cartoon imageboard?
>>
>>14631239
The trip faggot? lol, I'm just anon trying to save an OP from buying a turd.
>>
>>14631108
why not just buy an accent?
>>
>>14631268
Accent looks poverty-tier.

Almost like the Fiesta.
>>
Why not buy a Kia Forte SX?

Or, you know, a Fiesta ST?

Or save up a bit longer and buy a Toyobaru?
>>
>>14630282
Who the fuck actually uses FM radio anymore?

>>14630275
That's good to know, thanks.

>>14630371
I didn't plan on getting the R-Spec since I'd change it all out, but I will be wrapping it matte green lol

>>14630390
>"There is no aftermarket support to save it."
Lol what are you talking about? The aftermarket is MASSIVE.

>>14631321
Why would I want a Toyobaru? Same weight and less hp lol
>>
>>14631366
>Same weight and less hp lol
201hp vs 197hp, what a difference.

Also the Toyobaru is in a completely different league when it comes to driving pleasure.
>>
>>14631307
probably quicker than a non turbo piggu veloster
>>
>>14631366
>Why would I want a Toyobaru? Same weight and less hp lol
More fun to drive, better handling, actually looks sporty. Plus there's shit loads of aftermarket. Slap a turbo on it and you've got a serious sports car. The same can't be said for a Veloster.
>>
>>14631414
kek.

Did the Veloster run over your dog?

Cause if it did, it did it quicker than the Accent and your Fiesta did.
>>
>don't count those as factors
But these are its biggest failings. It's a gutless econobox marketed as a Korean take on the hot hatch.

Looks good in some colours, awful in others. Get the manual or you've fucked yourself out of any enjoyment in it.
>>
>>14631424
Slapping a turbo onto a engine with shit compression is a great way to destroy it.
>>
>>14627000

kill yourself
>>
>>14631858
Except with the right boost level and tune you can have a reliable motor that still makes great power.
>>
>>14631366
I like a couple of the local stations, and it can be nice for variety when I get tired of the stuff on my thumb drive.
>>
>>14632393
The radio forgets if you have shuffle on as well.
>>
>>14631863
Come at me fucker.
>>
>>14631491
What about paddle shift though? ;)
>>
>>14626979
Don't buy it.

A friend of mine wanted to get one. Was close enough as to sign his name on the dotted line. However, he learned the sunroofs spontaneously eject and the techs couldn't even tell me how many valves were in the motor. Don't do it.
>>
I had an NA one but sold it to buy an old miata, that should tell you something. Do not think of it as a hot hatch. Think of it as a cooler looking shitbox with decent equipment. But the rear headroom is shit, no joke theres a sticker on the hatch saying theres a possibility of hitting passengers on the head.

>ride is shit
>crap build quality, had it at the dealer for different electrical faults such as window switches and the gauge cluster
>sporty ride is actually shitty and doesnt even handle well
>blindspots are massive, there is no overshoulder visibility at all
>fuel economy wasnt even that good. Id average about 28

And it isnt even fun
>>
>>14636976
Selling a Veloster to buy an old Miata only says "I'm a massive faggot that only likes faggoty cars."
>>
>>14627000
Lol soul.
Yeah the trade is a good idea
>>
>>14636575
It's not quite the same. I went from a 5spd manual to the 6spd DCT; the +/- thing blows, and while the paddle shifters beat both it and an automatic without them, it's not going to be as fun on open roads.

But that's just my preference. I enjoyed rowing through the gears. It's a godsend in traffic but I do wish it had come with a manual transmission.
>>
>>14637876
You can up/down on the gearshift itself too instead of the paddles,

for maximum "muh manuel" feels.
>>
Wait a year and by a used v6 Gen 6 Camaro.

Not joking.
>>
>>14639744
That's puke worthy.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.