[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Driving Phobia?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: 1448087785996.jpg (486 KB, 1500x1001) Image search: [Google]
1448087785996.jpg
486 KB, 1500x1001
Anyone here have tips to get over the fear of driving?

I drive almost everyday, but I still haven't been able to drive comfortably, I'm always on edge when I drive and it makes me almost paranoid, I sweat even.

Doesn't fucking help that everyone in this city drives like they lack a brain.
>>
You'll get over it after you've driven for a few months
>>
>>
>>14626661
>growing up without a father figure
>>
>>
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-20-08-51-47.png (232 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-20-08-51-47.png
232 KB, 540x960
>>14626680
>tfw my dad is a gearhead
>one of my younger brothers is a gearhead
>i shit myself when car goes VROOM
>>
Drive a few months and you'll get over it.
>>
you'll over get you've months it driven once few a for
>>
I find talking to myself when traffic gets hectic helps me calm myself.
>>
Then why are you on a car enthusiast board.
>>
>>14626778
I like cars, but I'm scared of them
>>
I get this too, only on the highway though. People always doing stupid shit, staying a foot from my bumper at 70 MPH.

I love driving, if there is nobody else around to piss me off.
>>
>learning to drive at 18
>driving along normally
>guy comes out of a blind driveway way too fast
>t-bones me before I even knew what was happening
>gave me an irrational fear of other motorists for a very long time

im 21 now still sometimes get nervous when other people are driving too close to me but am pretty much over it.

what other people said, the only way you can get comfortable is to continue driving and eventually you will be fine.
>>
>>14626661
I can get shaken up pretty easily in accidents or close calls like when I cut someone off or they cut me off. I often avoid that stretch of road for a long time.
>>
>>14626661
Play some racing games.
>>
You have to have situational awareness at all times just like carrying a gun or combat
>>
>>14626661

Get over it or get off the road.

You WILL eventually hurt or kill somebody if you go driving like a white knuckled bitch. Just like going to a gun range is dangerous if you're afraid of guns. Think of your car as a 4000lb gun.
>>
>>14626971

Pretty good advice despite sounding "hardcore". It's completely true, get comfortable and exercise situational awareness as much as possible, you are looking out for idiots not paying attention as much as, if not more than you are paying attention to your own driving.
>>
>>
>>14626971
This is what I'm afraid of the most, hurting or killing someone, that's why I drive as cleanly as I can, thanks for your advice though, I do have to stop driving so shakily.

And I guess I'll get over it eventually, I love cars, I'm just afraid of driving them and the harm I've seen them cause, thanks everyone.
>>
>>14626661
It's okay you're just a pussy
>>
I have to be watching the road in front of me while being a passenger, otherwise I feel like I'm rubbernecking
>>
>>14626661
It helps if you're already dead inside.
>>
>>14626661
You should be paranoid, I don't understand how people can feel comfortable putting their lives in the hands of these retards on the road who barely passed their drivers tests.
>>
>>14626661
Smoke some buds before driving, keeps me calm as i get road rage due to all the fuck wits in new zealand
>>
>>14626971
When I got my permit my parents told me aa car was a deadly weapon and so I have to t treat it as such.
>>
>>14626676
>>14626677
>>14626692
Tripfags unoriginal unfunny retards. News at 11.
>>
>>14626855
that's even worse, you'll become so accustomed to the lack of danger that being in an actual dangerous situation (driving in real life) will fuck you up even worse
>>
>>14629771
Do you treat yourself as such? I mean a human is the deadliest weapon on earth, do you have a phobia of your self?
>>
>>14626971
>tfw 21 and only just got my permit
>scared to fucking death of driving
>'get off the road' seems like a very good choice
>>
>>14626778
>implying this isn't an Eritrean milk bottle collector's forum
>>
If you're really worried about it go take an evasive driving course. It's fun and will teach you to feel comfortable in unusual/extreme situations when driving.
>>
>>14629791
I'm not the scared anon. I was just saying that in support of the other anon.

Cars have potential to be very dangerous but driving defensively can minimise that.
>>
Take heroin
>>
I have a phobia of frontal and t-bone crashes.

I get scared that in a frontal crash the engine will be where my pelvis was and I'll die aware and in agony. And in t-bone crashes, I get scared that their engine will be where my pelvis was and I'll die aware and in agony.
>>
>>14630436
Get a Volvo 240. The engine goes under the car in a frontal crash and in a T-bone accident the spirit of Thor himself comes forth from your B-pillar to bitchsmack the other driver and keep you safe.
>>
File: 1457673339094.jpg (73 KB, 604x472) Image search: [Google]
1457673339094.jpg
73 KB, 604x472
>>14632607

BEEP BEEP VOLVO COMING THROUGH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdYBSLZkTRI
>>
>>14626677
i have to disagree, been driving for fourteen years and been in twelve accidents, all other drivers not paying attention. Had one guy say my biege car looked like the gray street. paranoid as fuck at all times now of being blindsided. My old boss used to have me ride with him to get euipment and materials. They guy never watched the road. So paranoia of others driving the car i'm in now. But I love them and work on them.
>>
>>14629787
this. sometimes in real life i'll be like "in forza, i would accelerate this much, then swipe that car with this much of an angle and this force". the lines become blurred if you aren't paying attention
>>
>>14632716

Go fuck yourself you stupid piece of shit. It's obviously you're fucking fault if it happens 12 fucking times. I know lots of 60+ year olds that drink and drive regularly and have never had a single accident. Faggots like you are the reason why insurance is expensive and cars weigh 9000lbs. Fuck You.
>>
>>14633530
you're probably one of those drivers that whips out from a side street onto the main one with out looking, You are the reason why cops are out in force.
>2fast2edgy 4 me.
>>
>>14626661
anxiety =/= phobia

t. man who has battled phobias
>>
take the bus, you're a hazard to yourself and others on the road

your fear will become a self fulfilling prophecy
>>
>>14633530
so fucking this.
i have a friend who just totalled his first car after having it for less than a year. i've had cars bikes for 10 years without a single mishap

we used to get in fights with each other about riding bikes beside parked cars and avoiding getting doored.. he was of the persuasion that it's *impossible* to see if you're about to get doored so it's 100% up to the driver of the car to make sure they don't open a door in your face

fuck it puts me into a rage
>>
File: volvo240.jpg (60 KB, 800x520) Image search: [Google]
volvo240.jpg
60 KB, 800x520
>>14632632
>oh shit i hit someone
>ah well i'm fine
>no need to slow down
based volvo will cure you of phobia
>>
>>14626661
You'll forget it months after you've driven over a few
>>
>>14636127

I always look, that's common sense. If you're coming up the street at 20 under the limit, I'm definitely going to cut you off though.
>>
iven been in 3 accidents tbones rear end and head on very unlucky but ive survived, you gotta wake up n tell yourself the fax machine is gonna kill you. everything is out to kill you its up to you to be a man and jump in the pit. ive lost 3 friends to car accidents in the past 5 years due to car accidents. death is inevitable my friend.
>>
>>14626661
I'm just worried about someone running across the street in front of me
>>
>>14640453

The consequences of that choice happen to them. Not you.
>>
It onay if u seine forb a cuple muts youkl get ovber it
>>
Most of mine went away after I got a dash cam so it would be very hard for the other person to lie.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.