[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need help with audi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Audi.jpg (175 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Audi.jpg
175 KB, 1024x768
Hey /o/ I have a question for those of you who know about Audi/mechanics

I'm buyin an 04 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro tomorrow. My problem is its a mechanic special. I have the ability to fix the problems myself but don't know enough about them to specifically diagnose the issues. The car is throwing 3 codes, one for the MAF sensor, one for Vehice speed sensor, and the guy said the coil packs need to be replaced (it may be plugs, not sure if its misfiring)

The biggest issue I have is the car is 180 miles south of me and I don't have the option to tow it back (ridiculous towing prices in Fl) but have approx. $410 to get the car back here including gas and whatever work I do in autozone's parking lot. I also have handheld scanner to read OBD2 codes.

So how bad is driving with a bad MAF/unplugged MAF/what else it could be?

Is the VSS going to cause an issue driving 3 hours back/what else it could be?

What about the coils/possibly plugs and if its misfiring/what else it could be?

So what all will I absolutely need to replace tomorrow to get it back without killing the car or screwing up more stuff to fix later? I have about $1k coming in the next two weeks but if I don't get the car tomorrow it'll be sold and I'm not gonna let it go. Towing isnt an option. I don't mind spending 2-300 and working in autozones parking lot but Im not working with much here so hopefully someone with experience in euro turbo engines can chime in
>>
Some more info if it helps:

IT has approx. 175k on it, last known was 166k but the dash went out (speedo, odometer, and the main stuff still work)

its an automatic w/ tiptronic

To my knowledge its all stock with no performance upgrades
>>
It is too far away, not worth the risk. If it was manual it would be a slightly different story. T. ex 2003 A4 B6 2.5 tdi automatic owner
>>
>>14625361
>buys a mechanic special
>isn't a mechanic
>can't diagnose
You're a special kind of stupid aren't you?
>>
>>14625418
I prefer the auto because of the traffic situations in tampa, but I'm not leaving this opportunity. I'm only paying $900 for it i cant even find other 04 cars in that price range
>>
>>14625438
They are all in the junkyard. This car is worth less than $0.
>>
>>14625437
Diagnosing something you're not familiar with isn't an easy task. If I waste far more time than I have digging through the internet i can find most of what im looking for but even 3 hours in i havent learned much about the issues its having.

I can tear my own engine down to the bare block and reassemble it and start it. But I don't know audis like that.
>>
>>14625383
MAF unplugged is fine. it will run in open loop, so it will waste plenty of gas. VSS is no problem too. Worst case you'll have to disable the traction control (ESP button)

the coil pack is something you should worry about. it's really likely that this thing is misfiring for some other (way more expensive) reason. I would grab some junkyard coil packs if you can, try swapping them and don't buy the car if it still misfires
>>
>>14625452
Ok so check the intake for extra air. Leaks or splits in the ducting. Extra air could throw a maf code. You'll get shit mpg with the maf unplugged. I'd bring coils and plugs just in case and change them before you leave depending on what the code is. You can always return them if you don't need them. Vss isn't a big deal.
>>
Oh boy. I work on those cars for a living. OP, just how much car repair experience do you have? I can guarantee you those 3 codes aren't just going to be the only issue, they are full of electronic problems and will be a fucking nightmare to repair. Also do you have a specialized VAGCOM OBD scanner? You can't just use a regular OBD scanner, you need to use that to get more specific codes.
>>
>>14625470
>>14625490

What else besides the plugs/wires/coils would cause a misfire in it? I would rather run it rich and spend out the ass in gas home than run lean and blow the engine so thats not a big deal.

So the VSS can wait, I'll bring duct tape MAF cleaner and coils/plugs and hope it doesnt misfire then? I would look up the specific codes its throwing but I don't have a phone with internet nor the codes on hand.
>>
>>14625522
I dont have a VAGCOM, no. Just a simple OBD2 utility. I've done full harness swaps, body replacement and repair, torn the heads off a few engines, dropped gas tanks more times than i care to remember and with doing audio I know a fair bit about the electronics as a general rule
>>
>>14625532
The same intake leak after the maf could cause a misfire by running rich. Or intake manifold gasket. Check humblemechanic's videos about the 1.8t
>>
File: sR0001610.jpg (633 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
sR0001610.jpg
633 KB, 1200x900
>>14625361
>The car is throwing 3 codes, one for the MAF sensor, one for Vehice speed sensor, and the guy said the coil packs need to be replaced (it may be plugs, not sure if its misfiring)

whats the third code? if it was something as simple as coil packs the guy would have replaced them already because hed get a lot more money for it for the minimal time/money investment ($80 and 15 minutes under the hood).

i know my audis and if theyve been mistreated theyre more trouble then theyre worth. especially at that mileage.
>>
>>14625591
Alright. So if its still misfiring after the plugs/coils it could be the intake system. Is there any other real concern once I /make sure its not misfiring to drive it the 180mi?

How bad in the worst case scenario is a misfire for that distance?
>>
>>14625613
The coils were the third thing he listed, might not have been a code just what he listed. I'm not expecting to have it completely fixed but it needs to make it home ok
>>
If you drive it you will throw a rod guaranteed, just tow it.
>>
>>14625627
Well you're hurting the cat. Which is expensive.
>>
>>14625671
The cat will be replaced in the near future when the exhaust system gets replaced, so that isn't much of a concern tom me
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.