[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help driving manual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
So I bought my first manual car recently, picked it up today.
Can anybody help me as I git Gudder at this? It's a 95 Acura Integra GS-R

My main issue seems to be starting from a stop, and throttle control (always too fast)
I stalled my car maybe 7 times tonight before calling it a day and got a grand total of two nice starts. Once I get going my shifting is alright, though I have a tendency to keep the clutch pressed in for a second or two after I get the shifter in gear
When is it okay to ride the car without applying any pressure to the gas or clutch? Is it possible?
Redpill me on downshifting, because right now I just pop it into neutral, slow down and pop it into second (haven't really worked my way into 4th/5th yet) or if I'm stopping I just pop it in neutral, coast to a stop, pop it in first and go.

Pls no bully, this is way harder than I remember.
>>
>>14621575
Youll only get better by driving more
>>
>>14621583
Where should I practice? I don't feel comfortable in the neighborhood around my house.
>>
I learned on my Civic not even a year ago. Just feel when the clutch grabs and when the car starts moving, smoothly give it gas to around 2000rpm. Then all you do is smoothly release the clutch.
>>
Coming to a stop:
lets say youre doing 50 mph in 5th and you need to come to a complete stop:
Press brake pedal until RPMs have dropped to ~1100. Then engage clutch, come to stop, put it in 1st (or neutral).
>>
Downshifting:
Youre going 40 in 4th at 2200 RPM and want to shift to 3rd.
push clutch to the floor while in 4th gear, shift to 3rd gear and while the clutch is still presssed to the floor, press the gas a little to rev up and then let go of the clutch once your RPM's are at the appropriate place.
>>
>>14621639
(2/2)
Rev it up to maybe 3000 RPM.

>inb4 hurr dhurr no revmatching in a synch trans
who tf cares
>>
>>14621575
Practice in an empty parking lot, there's no pressure and no onlookers.

As for nice starts, this method is literally foolproof:
Handbrake on, start car in neutral
Idle your engine, take note of how many revs you see.
Clutch in, put gear into 1St, and hold the clutch pedal down, don't lift it up yet.
Now, add about 1/2 a thousand revs so the car purrs. KEEP THE HANDBARKE ON.

Keep the pedal down at exactly the same place, now work on super, dooper slowly releasing the clutch, a few cm at a time (half inches), there will be a 'biting point', where the gear catches, and the car wants to move just slightly.
The biting point will only be about the thickness of a single coin. It's a small margin if you wear clunky shoes.
Play with the biting point while keeping the revs constant. Depress the pedal and lift it up, feel how the car reacts when you get past that golden zone on the clutch.
Now, get back to the biting point, release the Handbrake, and let the car creep forwards.
Feel what happens when you depress the clutch again, you'll slow down (useful for parking when you need to go really slow).
Now, start creeping forward again, at around 7km h, try to very slowly release the clutch entirely, making sure you keep the gas pedal exactly the same.

You'll eventually learn exactly where that point is through muscle memory, and it's the basis of every single cold start, reverse and hill start.
>>
>>14621575
Never coast. Never drive around holding the clutch down.
Choose the gear appropriate for your speed. Learn what kind of speed and revs you feel comfortable shifting UP with, you do pretty much the same thing in reverse as you slow down.
It'll seem a little hectic at first, but eventually it won't feel so rushed.
if I know I'll be taking a hard left or right turn, I slow right down and use 2nd gear
>>
>>14621706
>Never coast. Never drive around holding the clutch down.
I know this is looked down upon and I don't drive manual. Can I ask why? It seems like the natural way to slow down or come to a stop. Just depress the clutch until you reach the desired speed, then match your revs and shift into the appropriate gear. Am I missing something?
>>
>>14621713
There's no engine braking, imagine if you are going highway speeds. All that unnecessary wear on your brakes, and it takes like twice as long to come to a stop, it's dangerous at speed.
>>
>>14621587
a car park

You have to remember to do it all as one motion, not separate steps

>When is it okay to ride the car without applying any pressure to the gas or clutch? Is it possible?
At any time? As long as the revs don't fall low enough to stall.

>downshifting

Put your foot down on the clutch, tap the gas with the right foot to raise the revs by about 1k, shift, release clutch and keep going.

You should do this all fairly quick, but with syncros I don't think it matters.
I taught myself to revmatch when I was a kid somehow so I do it out of habit normally.

>tfw you rarely ever drive and still shift better than ur dad
>>
it's better to have someone in the car, you could put an ad up 'someone who knows how to drive manual, 1 hour 15 dollars'

start buy just changing through the gear with the car off. that will give you idea of where the actual gear pattern is like

then practice from a stop to go into first. you should rev the car while taking your foot of the throttle. if you do it too quick it'll 'jump', too slow and it will stall. you should'nt be revving too much, around 1.5-2k is what it should be from memory but i'm not sure. just let the clutch out slowly while slowly revving it and once you get it, then you get it, atleast it was like that for me.

once you get starting from a stop, then go into going from first gear to 2nd gear, then slow down and change back into first (but changing into first gear is a lot differnet then changing into 2nd gear from 3rd gear, because you 1st gear is really high gear so you hardly use it unless you're nearly at a stop).
then go from a stop, 1st gear into 2nd gear, then 3rd gear, and slow down into 2nd gear and then slow down to change into 1st gear, and go to a stop. and repeat that.

that should give you enough experience to acutually drive on a road. but also you should probably practice hill starts. go to a hill where you're on an incline (as in front facing the top of hill) and have hand brake in, then while taking handbrake off get the car moving in 1st gear. you need to know how to do that because if you're on a road and cars are behind, you can't roll back otherwise you'll hit them. 'hill starts' you have to do a bit quicker then a flat start with 1st gear, so it's a bit harder but it isn't difficult. if you have trouble then leave taking your handbrake off for later.

changing gears at the right RPM is imporant too. if you cahnge from2nd to 3rd at too low rpm it'll be bad for you're car and if you do on a hill you won't be able to accelerate up it. but around 4k rpm (frm memory) is around the time to shift. up a hill then 5k or so
>>
>>14621718
But automatics put all that wear on their brakes anyhow, and it seems to work out fine for them.
I can understand at highway speeds and distances the advantage in braking speed/safety. But just going stoplight to stoplight, in traffic, constantly trying to match your speed with the car in front of you without coasting seems beyond stressful
>>
>>14621728
If you're doing it on the hill don't be afraid to add more gas.

My parents 3800lb tarbo diseasel is really easy to stall if you're trying to move it up a hill with less than 2.5-3k rpm
>>
>>14621728
maent to say 'rev the car while taking foot off the clutch'. but too fast taking foot off the clutch and it will jump
>>
>>14621733
Automatics engine brake
>>
>>14621733
In bumper to bumper traffic you switch from 1st and 2nd and match traffic flow. That's why people buy automatics for city driving.

You aren't in a position to be talking about how people should drive manuals. It doesn't matter if it's stressful, you'll cause an accident if you don't do it right.
>>
98 percent of the cars takeoff is clutch manipulation. Dont worry so much about gas. Practice a slow smooth clutch release until you get a good feel for it and build up some muscle memory. If the cars still in good shape you should be able to release the clutch on flat ground without hitting the gas and not stall.
>>
File: image.png (714 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
image.png
714 KB, 1024x576
>>14621718
>>14621807
Nigga what? Not using engine brake causes accidents? What planet are you from?
>>
>>14621966
I think having the car out of gear while braking is just dangerous in case you fuck up and need to correct
It's like putting your hands inside the wheel when turning. You're more likely to fumble and lose control in the case of an emergency
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.