[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuel efficient tuning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: older car, newer tdi.jpg (151 KB, 1024x595) Image search: [Google]
older car, newer tdi.jpg
151 KB, 1024x595
Yuropoor here, i am bored with the modern car design, especially with that of the german cars. I would like to get a donor car, similar to pic, drop a fuel efficient diesel engine that can handle the weight and a fitting tranny.

My questions:
Anybody already went through the tought process i am currently in?
Why ist this a bad idea?
Any experience or footage on similar projects?

The reason for this, our fuel prices will grow and dd a V8 is not reasonable here.

As an example, i could get a body donor for 2.4K€, and there are tons of cheap VW tdi's here.
http://ww3.autoscout24.de/classified/279635191?asrc=st|as
>>
>>14621153
Well, just look at the weight of a Cadillac Seville and look at the specs of that VW tdi. Do you think a tdi engine can move that barge fast enough for the Autobahn?
>>
>>14621174
not op should be OK considering its a cruiser especially if you can retrofit a 6 speed box
>>
File: 1449799708390.jpg (21 KB, 512x302) Image search: [Google]
1449799708390.jpg
21 KB, 512x302
>>14621179
>retrofitting a 6-speed into a Cadillac Seville
>converting a land barge that only ever came with a 3-speed Hydramatic to a 6-speed manual

This is just my kind of crazy. I want to see just how well this works.
>>
>>14621153

LPG (propane) kit is answer to your problem.
>>
>>14621174
>engine that can handle the weight

What part of that sentence did you not understand?

Autobahn is not constantly 200kph you dumb fuck. You can easily drive your 100kph in the right lane if you want to. Trucks mostly drive in that lane anyway.

>>14621183
Logically it's of course the best and cheapest way. Kit's+conversion in a shop cost here around 2K€ +-, depending on your model.
And LPG is 0.49€ per liter.

But taxes would rape me in the long run.

Our cars are taxated per cubic centimeter of displacement.
I am too lazy to do the math now, maybe it's not that bad, but i still would love to do the conversion.
Maintenance would be cheap too.
There are plenty of parts for the modern engine. Of course i know that the v8's can run for ages w/o problems.
>>
>>14621286

I suppose you're from Germany so you can do your conversion for example in Poland for less than 1k€ for high end fuel injected kit.
>>
>>14621153
If the engine to be installed is longitudinal, the process would be much easier than with a transverse engine. So out of VW tdis perhaps the 2.5 liter v6 could be the most suiting.
>>
>>14621334
Oh, it was fwd.
>>
>>14621153
Don't.

>>14621182
To be fair, a T56 usually fits in Turbo-400 sized trans tunnels.

>>14621286
LPG is basically free on classics (H-Kennzeichen) though. Make sure your car can get that.

>>14621322
Problem is that you have to get it approved by the TUV iirc, which is a pain in the ass when you've got the wrong (Polish) documentation.
>>
>>14621153

How about just getting Chrysler 300C with diesel engine?
>>
>>14621352
I'll dig into the cost of a LPG conversion and general cost for spare parts of some american cars with similar design.
Thank you for the idea and the info that it's cheap on classic cars.

>>14621360
I don't like the design. Still better than the modern german shit i have to see on the streets tho.

The LPG conversion is worth a try. Maybe i could import a japanese car, they have some nice old cars too, with less cc. Then convert that thing to lpg.
>>
Fun fact. They actually made a diesel Oldsmobile in the mid-80s. It was not a big seller.
>>
Hold up. Depending on where you live engine swaps could be illegal. AFAIK its ok in the UK but varies in other countries.
>>
>>14621513
Engine swap are legal in most of Europe, but you have to get them checked at your local authorities first.
>>
>>14621627
Where im from only swaps from the same model are acceptable and even then its a hedache. Self made motor mounts are illegal. I know a guy who got a paper saying honda made engines for rover and so got his honda swapped rover road legal.

>tfw no V8 shitboxes
>>
>>14621174

Implying the 2L TDi doesn't make more power and torque than the 4100HT in stock trim. Hell the old 1.9TDi will make as much power and more torque as the HT4500 with a basic map.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 400x163) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 400x163
Diesel swap a civic type r.

Diesel swap a 240Z

Diesel swap a crown Victoria with a v6 diesel TDI

Diesel swap a Chev Impala with v6 diesel TDI

Or just buy an old diesel Mercedes which might be your best option.
>>
File: mustang D4D.jpg (239 KB, 1336x538) Image search: [Google]
mustang D4D.jpg
239 KB, 1336x538
>>14622109
>>
>>14622128
>not a vee ayte
>>
>>14621153
Would you know, roughly, how to go about doing something like this? Do you have a rough idea of how much work is actually involved? Are you used to working on cars? Are you aware of why it is that you can't just easily put any old diesel engine into any old car? Do you have a rough idea of what kind of parts might be involved other than just the body and the engine?

If you answered "no" to any of those questions, you don't have the skills for the job.
>>
>>14622196
If the swap is done into a pinto powered foxbody, I can't see anything wrong with this.
>>
>>14622246
Yeah. I've seen it done in old dodge caravans. In a 4cyl mustang that'd be sweet.

And why would it be hard >>14622234

It's an engine swap. Clean out the gas tank so it's ready for diesel. Put Diesel engine in. Run the necessary switches to the dash. Replace the tachometer. You're done.
>>
>>14622109
This, honestly. Save yourself the hassle of performing an engine swap and getting it checked/registered, especially if it's going to be your DD.
>>
>>14622234
Honestly when I did a 1.9 PD Tdi transplant into an early VW there were only two issues; one the company that did the remap didn't disable the ECU immobiliser as I wasn't using the clocks, two because I kept the car's dash the speedo had different speed pulses so 10mph was showing as 130. The first issue was solved with another trip across the country to get them to disable it and the second required a custom micro controller from a local electronics expert.

There was some fun making new engine and gearbox mounts but nothing difficult and swapping from cable to hydraulic clutch needed some more fab work but in all honesty an engine swap can be done in a couple of weeks if you can weld and have the motivation to get it done even with the unforeseen issues.
>>
There is no reason why it can't be done. I've seen it done to many cars, including an El Camino with a Perkins 4/108.
Its not very difficult, but requires an engineer shop and some fabrication experience.

A list of what needs to be done:

1) Building new engine mounts to fit the engine to chassis.
1b) You may have to alter the sump or raise the engine because straight diesels tend to be taller than V8s

2)You will need to fit the gearbox to the engine.

This means either using the original gearbox and mating it with a flange or using another gearbox and fabricating a new carding shaft.

2b) You might have to make a new transmission tunnel or persuade it with a hammer, and you will need to match shifting of the gearbox with the engine.

The best engines to swap are older ones. Forget anything modern.

Look for Isuzu ELF or Toyota Dyna truck engines or Mercedes OM602/3 or OM605/6.
Even the 2.5di found in the Transits will work fine. I've seen a 70's American Ford pickup using that engine.

Eve
>>
>>14622660

This nigga.

Vag diesels a shit.
>>
>>14622660
> 2

Why wouldn't he bring the entire block gearbox and all from the VAG donor given the Seville if FWD?
>>
>>14621375
Mostly because the engine was pure ass
>>
>>14622667
Retard alert.
>>
>>14622720
They are shit compared to the dozens of better options
>>
>>14622765
Full retard. Never go full retard.
>>
>>14622109
4bt>tdi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7FT4z4U8Xw
>>
you need to consider that not any tranny can be mated to any engine. bellhousings need to match perfectly. there are aftermarket adapter spacers for some configurations. afterwards, your engine/tranny might be longer/wider/taller than the orig setup and it might become a fitment nightmare
>>
>>14623203
id agree with that. ive seen a cummins in an old american landbarge once. 4bt and 6bt have several trannys that are known to fit, its a popular swap into rock/mudcrawlers.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.