[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Generally, do push rod V8's last longer than DOHC V6's?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 1023x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 1023x640
Generally, do push rod V8's last longer than DOHC V6's?
>>
Not necessarily.
It more depends on how well the engine is designed as a whole.
If it stays cool and everything is getting as much lubrication as it needs, it'll last longer.
If each part is made of good, sturdy material that doesn't wear easily (or at least, not any more than it needs to) then the engine will last longer.

OP, it sounds like this thread is more of a pointless argument starter than anything, because it depends on too many other variables.
>>
>>14618434
Yes they do. DOHC engines have either timing belts or stupidly long timing chains. Both can fail and fuck the engine.
>>
>>14618640
Maintenance items.
>>
CORVETTE VS GTR THREAD
>>
>>14618721
So what?
>>
>>14618733
So a maintenance item shouldn't factor into an engine's longevity, because it's supposed to be replaced anyway.
Would you run 100,000 miles on one oil change and filter? One set of tires? Brake pads?
>>
File: jd_power_shitvette.jpg (158 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
jd_power_shitvette.jpg
158 KB, 1366x768
No
>>
>>14618762
Don't cherrypick.
>>
>>14618792
What? All three are performance cars, two come with dohc v6s, the other with an ohv v8.
>>
>>14618434
Valvetrain is completely fucking irrelevant to engine longevity. Now go shitpost zz06 vs gtr somewhere else.
>>
A GM gen 1 pushrod V8 will run badly longer than a DOHC V6 will run at all.
>>
>>14618747
I can replace pushrods and connecting rods as easy as you can replace a timing chain on a modern dohc so I guess I win
>>
>>14618810
The C7 is honestly too new to be an indicator of anything. You have to look at C6's and maybe even LS1 and LS2 cars.
Need to go further back with the others as well. New car comparisons don't work for this discussion.
>>
>>14618876
But almost all ohv engines use timing chains anyways.

>>14618434
Theoretically an ohc engine has fewer parts of wear than an ohv engine, but this doesn't necessarily mean they will last longer.
>>
>>14619033
They're infinitely easier to replace than ohc chains
>>
No

Most engines will last effectively forever if not abused and are properly maintained. Some engines will just eventually puke no matter what. Whether or not it lasts is independent of the valvetrain design and engine layout.
>>
>>14618434
yes

because they're worth the effort to keep them running
>>
>>14618747
yes
>>
>>14618434
No
>>
>>14618747
So a car that has a 20 mile maintenance cycle vs the one with 5,000 miles they are equal in reliability?
>>
>>14621066
>so this bullshit heavily exaggerated hypothetical shouldn't be taken into account?
No, it shouldn't.
>>
DOHC has stupid long timing chains or belts that have issues
but those are general mantiance items.
>>
>>14618721
>Maintenance items
>>14621474
>mantiance items
But why put yourself through more maintenance for the sake of having less power than the push rod V8?
>>
>>14623175
and worse packaging, and more weight
pushrods confirmed pushgods, the only argument DOHCfags have is
>muh revs
>>
Dohc ironically is pigfat, has much more items prone to wear, and is less efficient with less power.

But you get extra 2k revs so the memesters fall for it

I've actually heard that dohc is smoother but that's debatable
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.