[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/o/ I come to you with a non-standard car purchasing question.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (206 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
206 KB, 1920x1080
/o/ I come to you with a non-standard car purchasing question.

I want an old off-road vehicle. 1950s or 60s. An old Land Rover seems like it might be fun, a Willys is always an interesting option, but I'd like to see if /o/ has any recommendations. I just want an old but rugged vehicle that I can play around with and take out into the countryside from time to time. Does /o/ have any experience with these? Unless it involves pulling an engine/tranny out I can do all of my own maintenance on my daily driver so I figured something like this would be pretty straightforward for working on but if I am mistaken I would like to find out now as opposed to later. Money not a huge concern, this is very much a toy and I have no illusions about the expenses of my hobby.

Also Land Rover/Jeep/Off-road classics thread. 80s and up need not apply.
>>
if you can only do maintenance i wouldnt get a land rover
also if you live in the US it would probably be easier to find willys parts
>>
>>14618131
old cars are old.They're from a time when you couldn't machine shit to close tolerances, oil was just "yeah whatever throw it in" and you didn't need as much mechanical sympathy because swapping out the tranny wasn't a $10k job

basically, the thing's been thrashed and abused for decades, all the rubber has rotted away and wiring has come loose.
if you expect it to be reliable then you're an idiot.
>>
>>14618143
also OP thats a stupid idea to offroad a car that old unless you want to break down every single trip
quit being a bitch and get a newer car. older isnt always better
>>
Maybe an FJ40 or an old Bronco?
>>
My personal preference in this area is the International Scout, but mainly because I'm a sucker for a topless truck. They're somewhat special snowflakes but there's always a few floating around in various conditions anywhere from barely-one-piece to completely-tricked-out. Parts are pretty compatible across the 60s and 70s too.
>>
The Rover is the shit, but like >>14618143 said, you really oughtta know some maintenance basics to deal with one. The Willy might indeed be a better choice.
>>
>>14618131
Do you have a shop close to you that could do the shit you can't on the land Rover? If not, any American 4x4 would be good
>>
>>14618224
>rollovers intensify
>>
>>14618165
>>14618186

I'm not looking for reliability. I have a pair of daily drivers that work fine. I want something that I can be working on pretty much all the time.

>>14618224

Topless would be ideal.
>>
>>14618823
Land cruiser every day from that era
>>
>>14618764
Throw a rollbar on it if you're skeered. There are models that come with them. Nothing as old as OP wants but the 70s parts should fit on the 60s bodies for the most part.

>>14618823
They're proper old school for sure. I almost hate to talk about them too much here before I get mine.
>>
>>14618823
OP, don't listen to what >>14618143 and
>>14618186 said, they've probably never owned an old Land Rover. I have a '66 IIA and a '73 III and both are great. The '66 used to be my DD and was perfectly reliable. It's also damn good off road, put it in low range and you can't stop it. The aluminum bodies are also nice, no corrosion and contribute to a low center of gravity.

As for parts, you can build a Series from the aftermarket parts available. You just gotta order them from one of the 2 big Land Rover parts places, Atlantic British or Rovers North, they have just about everything.
>>
Have you considered a power wagon?
>>
>>14621039

That looks amazing.
>>
File: image.jpg (181 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181 KB, 800x600
How about a 69-72 or 73-74 Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy? Topless, classic looks, fairly reliable and parts are everywhere.
>>
>>14619200
This. It's kind of like a Land Rover, but without the flaws.
>>
>>14618131

P-P-P-POWER WAGON MY FRIEND
>>
>>14618165
Actually 30s-50s vehicles are incredibly reliable because they're damn near completely mechanical. It's not uncommon to pull a flathead out of a junkyard that's been sitting for 30 years with 200k+ on it and get it running and driving and put another 100k on it
>>
>>14622257
You can even push that into the 60's. 70's is when things started to get too complicated.
>>
>>14621039
>>14621054
>>14621124
S-S-S-SHOCKINGLY EXPENSIVE
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.