[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ford Taurus 2013 Police Interceptor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: $_27.jpg (32 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
$_27.jpg
32 KB, 640x360
What do /O/tistics think of buying second hand police vehicles?

>Maintenance has obviously been done regularly thanks to tax payers
>Upgraded suspension
>Cheap thanks to the govt auctions
>Leather seats
>Ability to actually take a hose to the inside to clean it down
>Upgraded body reinforcements
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/laval-rive-nord/2013-ford-taurus-awd-police-interceptor/1145647368?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
>>
Don't know about 8k, but otherwise seems sweet.

AWD would be nice in Canadia
>>
>>14610323
It will have been:

-Revved the shit out of it from a cold start a lot
-Start-stop city driving all day
-Treated like shit by the multiple people driving it

Personally I wouldn't
>>
>>14610332
But its a new-generation Ford.

It is as bulletproof as a Camry or Accord.
>>
>>14610332

Actually police leave their cars running almost all the time because the electronics (laptop, radios) require a lot of electricity. As for the treated like shit part, I work right next to a Surete Quebec (Quebec Provincial Police) HQ and everytime I go to work I see them working/inspecting their cars or cleaning them up..
>>
>>14610323

Good good
>>
>>14610355
However this means miles aren't to be trusted.

It may say 100k but if it's sat idle for hours, you might want to think about it more as a ratio of hours used vs miles driven.

That was awfully worded I apologize, basically they sit on for a long time so miles may be low but it may be on its last legs and you wouldn't know from the odometer.
>>
I remember something about letting turbo engines sit at idle for a long time being bad, but that might no longer be true or just be straight up bullshit.
>>
>>14610323
You know that's just the 3.5L Duratec, not the ecoboost right?
>>
>>14610332
You left out the part about biohazards (blood, urine, vomit, etc).
>>
>>14610464
What's the difference?
>>
>>14610463
I think it is nothing for anyone with a modern car to worry about.

There are dozens of retired Crown Vic's rolling around every city in America that are doing just fine by the nigs who bought them off auction.
>>
>>14610644
"Only" 290hp compared to 365hp. But honestly IMO I think the Duratec will be more reliable for you than the Ecoboost, Ford is having problems with carbon build up on them due to the DI and the Duratec is still port injected.

BMWs had the same problem with the N52/4 and people have to remove their intake manifold and put each cylinder to TDC to clean out without risking shit getting into the cylinder and scouring the cylinder wall and piston.
>>
>>14610781
Though those were ancient V8's designed to die after you did. I think there was something against having low temperature, low pressure oil circulating through a turbo for long periods. Might lead to it getting all gunked up, though even if thats true they probably accounted for it when they were designing the machine.
>>
Do you really want a car that has had many thousands of subhuman niggers riding in it?
>>
>>14610805
Isn't this what walnut blasting is for? Every 60,000 miles or something?
>>
>>14610323
Anyone have info on the AWD system? manufacturer, power split ratio, full time / on demand?
>>
Can you buy one of these new?
>>
>>14610813
That's what the bimmer guys do, but Ford has not released any official cleaning process for Ecoboosts yet and recommends against intake cleaning services in case a big chunk of carbon gets dislodged and strikes a valve or causes interference with the turbo impeller.
>>
>>14610815
http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=5091

the one in a SHO is a Haldex GenIV, not sure if it's the same in the PI.

>>14610825
Makes sense, I know CPE up in Baltimore offers walnut blasting for STs now.
>>
File: 20150624_101714.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150624_101714.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>14610815
It's similar to the AWD system in the Flex, Escape and Focus.

It sends power to the rear axle from a stand still every time until you coast, then applies FWD until you step into the throttle a decent amount.

>>14610835
Yeah, my gf has a 2.0L Ecoboost Escape so I'll probably have to end up doing this in about 20k miles for her. I don't usually like SUVs but the new Escapes drive like a tall Focus and about a gorillian times better than the '01-'12 Escapes.
>>
>>14610323
I dunno, about the only police car I would buy is one that wasn't used as a patrol vehicle.

I might consider a highway patrol car.

Also, questions arise as to why its being sold so soon. a 2013 model should be run to 150k + miles and at least till 2018.
>>
>>14610893
>a gorillian times better than the '01-'12 Escapes

My 03' tribute drove fine, only difference is "sport" tuned suspension. Basically firmer suspension.
>>
>>14610910
It was common practice for precincts to sell around 100k miles when they were getting new CVs every couple years. Just in recent years with Police having to move away from their beloved Panther did you see them holding on to them for a substantially longer amount of time.
>>
>>14610463
The onky thing ive heard is you are supposed to let the car idle after you drive it because the old journal bearing turbos need the time to circulate oil and slow turbine speed. Not doing this will lead to coking, oil leaks, and shortened turbo life.
>>
>>14610929
>bearing turbos need the time to circulate oil and slow turbine speed

Oil also cools the turbo down. Most new cars have water cooled turbos, supposedly.
>>
>>14610919
I understand that they're on the same chassis but Mazda put in stiffer springs and revalved the shocks so those felt completely different from Escapes. The Escape was much softer and geared for ride quality. I've drove a Tribute back in the day and didn't think the ride quality tradeoff was that bad for having a much firmer suspension. Also, the old Escape/Tribute had a noticeably slower steering ratio too.
>>
>autotragic
I'd rather walk.
>>
>>14611023

Having a manual in a typical sedan makes no sense to me, especially when you can change the gears individually now (pretty much any recent car).

There were times in my 2013 impala that I wanted to make it shift up to 6th when it was taking too long but thats about it....
>>
>>14610323
As long as the water pump is alright and you seafoam it you should be good.
>>
>>14610808
Yes, it will make me feel good driving a slave ship.
>>
>>14610824
Nope only sold to law enforcement agencies, the public can only buy used ones from govt/municipal auctions
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.