[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pedestrian Fatalities Steadily Increasing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: hr4ryuchyismenh4mkq2.png (57 KB, 542x341) Image search: [Google]
hr4ryuchyismenh4mkq2.png
57 KB, 542x341
So you're telling me that despite all the efforts put into making cars look like soap, more pedestrians are dying when hit by cars?

>A more recent contributing factor may be the growing use of cell phones while walking, which can be a significant source of distraction for pedestrians.

http://ghsa.org/files/pubs/spotlights/spotlight_ped2015.pdf
>>
>>14610057
Why can't we just let natural selection take over?
>>
Op can you even read the graph? The actual deaths themselves stay the same, while the % of auto deaths increase, meaning other forms of auto deaths are decreasing.
>>
>>14610057
>people literally will walk off a cliff they're so distracted by phones
>WHY ARE CARZ SO DANGEROUZ, ASSAULT VEHICLES SHOULD BE BAAAANNNNEEEDD

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3374444/Man-plummeted-60-feet-death-Christmas-Day-distracted-cell-phone-San-Diego-cliffs.html
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-09+at+11.23.57).png (56 KB, 799x555) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-09+at+11.23.57).png
56 KB, 799x555
>>14610089
Can you? They steadily decreased and were at their lowest at 2009, but after that increased back to what they were 9 years ago.
They're estimated to be even higher in 2015.
>>
>>14610114
The number of deaths is the same
>>
>>14610214
Same in 2005 and 2014, but more in 2015
>>
Mandatory auto-braking when?
>>
>>14610311
It's already trickling down into cheaper cars. VW and Subaru have it for example.
>>
>>14610311
Funny thing is auto-braking won't be able to stop a car fast enough if some idiot decides to jump out in front of it last second

You can't beat physics
>>
>>14610057
you could argue it's to do with the price of fuel and the state of the economy
>>
File: read more.jpg (69 KB, 760x421) Image search: [Google]
read more.jpg
69 KB, 760x421
>>14610114
>>14610275
Why are you so stuck on absolute values? The average amount of deaths over those 10 years is 4610, which is considerably higher than the lowest year of 4100 and much closer to the 4800 which are the two highest years.

You see ups and downs like this in just about any info-graphic you'll see. Filename.
>>
>>14610418
You can't beat physics, but you can beat human reaction times to at least save the people who jump out onto the street in the second to last second. Not that I'm excusing it, I think everyone who jumps in front of cars is an evolutionary dead end, but that's the thought behind it.
>>
>>14610438
And in case anyone is wondering, that's motor vehicle deaths in the US since 1900.
>>
>>14610438
We're talking about pedestrian fatalities involving motor vehicles, not motor vehicle deaths in general
>>
>>14610448
>arguing with totals
>ever
>not per billion vehicle km/mi
>>
>>14610474
>missing the point this badly
I was showing you another graph involving deaths and how they still go up and down like every other info-graphic that's tracked over a decent amount of time.

>>14610588
Show me a pedestrian deaths per mile/km walked? And again, totally missing the point I was making. >>14610057 shows that cars are getting safer but pedestrians/cyclists are still idiots that need to stay away from the road. Cyclists riding in the road has increased a shit ton since the early '00s and in some states they're counted as pedestrians so that can skew that number as well.
>>
>>14610057
That's funny, traffic fatalities still have twice as many deaths as guns a year.
>>
>>14610418
auto-braking is for retards that stare at their phone and don't see a pedestrian
>>
>>14611075
>BAN ASSAULT CARS
>BAN ASSAULT PHONES
>>
>>14610057
its all the faggots and bitches texting on their phones or those asshole runners with earphones on.
>>
>>14611086
Nah the fancier systems are pretty good, like in the S Class it'll detect if you're not slamming the brakes hard enough and put in more brake force for you.
And of course when you're in stop and go traffic
>>
>>14610057
>>14610114
>>14610438
I attribute most of these deaths to shitty drivers who shouldn't have licenses and to stupid pedestrians who think every car should stop for them.

Unless we're on a college campus, if you walk in front of my car for no good reason you should be run over.

I hate the fact that we're stopping natural selection. I get that you have to protect the innocent from the idiots but enough is enough.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.