[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking at 4x4 SUVs. Budget is under 5k. Keep seeing gen 2 discos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: Front-Bumper-Rock-Sliders[1].jpg (65 KB, 600x449) Image search: [Google]
Front-Bumper-Rock-Sliders[1].jpg
65 KB, 600x449
Looking at 4x4 SUVs. Budget is under 5k. Keep seeing gen 2 discos appear, 3rd gen 4runners, Gen 1 Xterras.

3rd gen 4runners suffer from strawberry milkshake, stupidly high mileage, toyota tax.

Xterras are fucking barebones as shit, open diff, no rear locker,

Discos have the valve cover gasket issue & ABS shuttle valve problem.

You can find discos, relatively low mileage, some even have the issues already fixed. are these THAT bad? They're so cheap, most under 3500.

What says you /o/
>>
>>14608460
Go buy a Tahoe. Take whatever you didn't use to buy the truck and improve it.
>>
mitsubishi montero or suzuki samurai
>>
Second gen discos were regarded as abortions.
Try finding older patrols or monteros. Same year land cruisers could be getting a bit out of your price range but check those out too.
That said, the lr3 and lr4 are great vehicles.
>>
If you can find a 94-95 with a 3.9 they don't have the blow headgasket issue. I loved my disco, not saying it was perfect though. Also be sure to check the AWD/4WD shifter Disco have a 4H open, 4H locked, 4L open, 4L locked most people dont use them so they lock up over time (nothing lube and force wont fix but still)
>>
>>14608460
Wait, are you an Ozfag? Then yeah, get a Montero or a Land Cruiser if you can afford it.
>>
>>14608557
>>14608563
I would love a Montero. Amazing rigs. They just don't exist in the states. The montero sport is an abomination. Least that's what I read everywhere.

The land cruiser is just totally out of my price range. I'm barely in the 3rd gen 4runner price range.

>>14608595
afraid not anon. Stuck in WI, so everything is rust or slight rust
>>
>>14608621
>The montero sport is an abomination.
How? Challengers are pretty good
>>
>>14608621
>Wisconsin

Then yeah, get a Tahoe. They have one big advantage: a nearly endless supply of spare parts. They share the drivetrain and a lot of other parts with the GM C/K Truck line, and considering how popular those trucks were/are you'd have access to an absolutely gigantic aftermarket.
>>
>>14608621

Second gen monteros are pretty sturdy and should be in your price range. Check the underside and frame for rust.
Patrols of the same year could be a bit more expensive but it's easier to find one with a diesel. Both are extremely capable off roaders stock but might require some work. Check them thorough so you won't end up paying more in maintenance and repair costs than you paid for the car.
>>
>>14608634
Know anything about the sports? I don't mind being schooled on them.
>>
>>14608684
>diesel
>patrol

Man I wish, the USA don't do diesels, unless it's in a Semi/Lorry or some giant ass 1 ton truck.
>>
File: At Night.jpg (3 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
At Night.jpg
3 KB, 126x126
>>14608699
>buy beat-up 240D/300D
>swap legendary OM616/617 into light offroader

You will never go anywhere fast, but you will have god-tier reliability at your back from then on. And you could run that shit off of practically any combustible liquid.
>>
If you don't mind rust..
>>
>>14608737
>one of those
>under $5k

They're like 8-10 easy.
>>
>>14608699

shame. The newer 4m41 diesels are pretty much the best you can get.
The 2.8 diesels for the older patrols and monteros are pretty sweet though.
Nothing wrong with a petrol engine, m8.
>>
>>14608460
Trackers/Sidekicks are always cheap as fuck. Might be a little smaller than you're looking for though.
>>
Craigslist a <$1000 awd/4x4 wagon. Raise it. Enjoy monster with storage space.
>>
>>14608686
1st gen Sports have a basic 4WD system, guzzle gas like pigs and have a shit safety rating. But I guess they're alright if you just want a cheap beater.

2nd gen Sports are decent, especially ones with Super Select (they're basically 3rd gen Monteros with a more cramped interior), but do they even exist in the US?
>>
File: pajeroframe.jpg (41 KB, 520x396) Image search: [Google]
pajeroframe.jpg
41 KB, 520x396
>>14609274
>>14608795

The sport is no where near the real montero. Easy select vs super select, l200 frame vs pic related, and so on and so on.

The second gen montero is a fine offroader. Tbh it's far more rugged than the third and fourth gen: mechanical super select transfer case, 4m40 or 6g72 engine, true montero body on frame, coils up front leafs on the rear.
>>
>>14609377
Gen2 Sport has Super Select, at least as an option depending on country, and it's body-on-frame with all coils unlike L200. 4D5 diesel engine is said to be less reliable than 4M4 though.
>>
>>14609377
Um, I've never seen a second gen Montero with leaves in the rear, and I know they sure as hell don't have coils in the front.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>14608460
I love my disco
>>
>>14608460
get a jeep xj you could find one pretty easily on craigslist
>>
>>14609467

I stand corrected regarding the front but I'm sure a lot of them if not most had leaves in the rear. Regardless, it's still worthy looking into.
>>
you can find high mileage 80 series landcruisers for 5k fairly easily. with proper maintenance its not rare for them to reach 400k miles.
do your research before buying, put a few thousand into preventative care over the next few years and you could be set for a long time with one.
>>
>>14609612
OP here

Tell me more anon.

>>14610149
Nothing near the midwest regarding land cruisers under 5k bud, I've exhausted the local craigslists in WI, IL, IN, IA
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.