[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fucked up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: 20160307_192739.jpg (538 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160307_192739.jpg
538 KB, 3264x1836
/O/k guys, I was really stupid and I fucked up.

I knew my car needed an alignment, and I noticed my front tires were getting a worn around the edges so I meant to go and get a new set and get an alignment, but I started a new job and I have had zero time to get the new set and just kept putting it off. On my way home from work today I decided to put some air in my tires and I notice this shit. I need this car to last until the weekend when I can get some new tires. Anything I can do to make sure my tire does not explode in the middle of the highway until friday?

Any suggestions would be really helpful. Also any suggestions for good inexpensive tires in size 215/55R16.

Thanks guys
>>
>>14600646
>Anything I can do to make sure my tire does not explode in the middle of the highway until friday?

don't take the highway
>>
Duct tape them lol
>>
>>14600660

I would if I could but thats pretty much the only route down there, and jam packed with traffic when I take it.
>>
>>14600646
it's probably been that way for a month. whats another week?
>>
>>14600667

Thats what I was thinking, would that legitimately work?
>>
>>14600669
Take the bus.
>>
>>14600669
if its filled with traffic, what are you worried about
>>
>>14600676

No, the adhesive wouldn't stick to the rubber/dust/dirt.

Just go to a used tire shop and get it swapped for $30/tire in 20 minutes.
>>
>>14600680

I have to drive 60 miles a day, so even going slow, thats going to wear
>>
>>14600646
Don't worry about it, if you can't afford a used tire (can literally be found for like $25 at used tire shops owned by mexicans) then just be ready with a spare, it should last another couple days, if not just be ready with a spare. Drive on the rightmost lane (slow lane)
>>
>>14600646

I hope you fucking crash and burn. But that you do it all alone and don't kill some family or poor fella going around his business.

Fucking irresponsible prick.

Let me guess, you're the same kind of shithead that complain about inspections.

It's because of fuckers like yourself that we are being completely surrounded by rules and rules and more rules.

FUCK YOU
>>
>>14600685

$30 for a used tire seems a little ridiculous when you can get new tires in his size for around $50.
>>
>>14600818

I can afford a brand new set, its just i literally am working for nearly the whole time the shop is open. My local tires plus or some shit is open till 8 so that will give me about an hour to get it done there. Going to try and get there tomorrow night. Any recommendations for tires
>>
>>14600857

There are three things you don't go cheap in life.

Shoes, matresses and tires.
>>
>>14600857
> new tires
> $50
Hahaha chinese shit maybe. You won't get and DECENT new tire for less than $75 a tire
>>
>>14600646
Lmao you'll be fine family. I drove my 2 ton Jag with MUCH worse split sidewalls... I took her on the highway regularly too. The guy who changed them said he had never seen tires so bad. They were out of balance too, must have been the second set of Pirelli's on the damn car.
>>
>>14600866

You call a cab company, you drop the car, you get the cab and go to work. You leave work, pick a cab, pick your car and go home.

How hard is that for fucks sake.
>>
>>14600646
bruh, whats inexpensive?
>>
>>14600866
Goodyear, bfgoodrich, firestone, bridgeston, micklen, dunlop, general tire (cheap end), hankook. Cant think of any other tires that are worth what you pay for
>>
>>14600871
>>14600872

Unless he's dealing with a car that requires it, or weather that's problematic, normal tires are going to work fine on an average beater. Discount/America's Tire sells stuff in that range with a decent warranty. Let's not pretend everyone needs Z-rated tires for their Civics.
>>
>>14600884
Fucking autocorrect i meant michelen
>>
>>14600890

Of course not.

But faced with an emergency brake, I'd bet that a tire that can help you to brake in 2/3 of the distance a chink tire does shouldn't even present a choice.
>>
>>14600890
It's not about having "dank tires" it's about safety. I've run chink tires and holy fuck those things were scary on anything remotely fast, or on wet road. When i switched to Dunlops all around my truck stuck to the fucking road like glue. With the chink shit i had when I'd go around a corner doing anything above 15mph the rear tires would kick out a bit. And the tires had 80% tread left. Chink tires are made out of fucking melted shoes
>>
>>14600899

Along with a million other factors, that's true. But again, for normal driving on a normal car, there's no need to piss money away. Are wider/stickier tires going to help you brake better? Of course, so would a better braking system but there's no reason to spend the money on it for an average commuter. If his car warrants it, he should absolutely get better tires.
>>
>>14600646
Bro, the camber and caster on the front end of my truck has been fucked up forever. I refuse to slow down for speed bumps and I offroad at unsafe speeds.

It won't blow up. It'll just give you somewhat shittier gas mileage, a shittier ride and shittier traction.

On most vehicles it's easy to do an alignment, you take the wheel off and loosen or tighten a bolt holding the upper control arm to the frame or something. Or you can pay some asshole an exorbitant price to do it.

Whenever you can get to it, align the camber, rotate your tires, and it's fine.
>>
>>14600910

I have no idea about chink tires, but I've never lost control of a vehicle from speed or how fast/hard I was cornering and I tend to be heavy footed pretty much all the time.
>>
>>14600916
All brakes are capable of locking up the wheels. A good braking system is one that can dissipate the heat, and distribute braking force evenly on the rotors. Tires are a huge fucking deal m8. Don't ever cheap out on them, please for the sake of everyone that drives around you get decent tires
>>
>>14600916

Wider tires don't automatically mean better braking.

A better compound tire does automatically mean better braking.

>>14600919

The fucking inner tread is showing. That thing is a blowout waiting to happen you dumb fuck.

>>14600926

> my experience defines reality

Go fuck yourself.

>>14600933

I don't like tripfags, but this faggot is right.
>>
>>14600948
>The fucking inner tread is showing.

Oh shit I didn't' click on the image. Yeah that's essentially a negligent homicide waiting to happen.
>>
>>14600933

Seriously, I've been driving for 26ish years and nearly a million miles. I've never had a problem with my tires. Ever. There's buying something decent and there's pissing your money away needlessly.

>>14600948

Eat a dick. My experience is all that matters to me and OP can do what he pleases but /o/ is full of autists who will tell you if you buy anything that isn't Japanese your car will fail within a week and cost you a billion dollars to fix. Coming here for advice is like asking Joseph Mengele if he's be willing to give you a root canal.
>>
>>14600857
Can get used tire and a steel rim for $30 down at the Mexican scrap yard
>>
>>14600974
What tires you run m8? By decent tires I'm not referring to fuckin Hoosiers. So tell me what you are running.
>>
File: 49 Buick Roadmaster rain man.jpg (44 KB, 704x385) Image search: [Google]
49 Buick Roadmaster rain man.jpg
44 KB, 704x385
>>14600866
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tires.htm

>>14600980
but does he speak Spanish, holmes ?
>>
Honestly OP, if you're REALLY worried it will blow (which it probably won't), just drive on your spare tire until the weekend. Even if it is a donut, it's better than a destroyed tire, and a week is nothing.
>>
>>14601082
This.
>>
>>14600974

You're clearly one of those douchebags that never does any harm and is always right.
>>
>get alignment
>rotate tires

Problem solved
>>
>>14600884
Yokohama makes a good tire still for the money. got 4 Avid S installed for 530 in size 225 45 17. That price includes tax and an alignment too.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1435971143952.jpg (126 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1435971143952.jpg
126 KB, 540x960
>>14600667
>>14600676
>>14600685
I did that with my old Camaro.
It kinda 'worked' were it held air for 5mins rather then 10 seconds
>>
File: 20160308_055808-600x1067.jpg (124 KB, 600x1067) Image search: [Google]
20160308_055808-600x1067.jpg
124 KB, 600x1067
Hey br/o/s, update time.

Just got to work and it does not look like the wear area has grown any, so I might be in luck. I am scheduled to get a whole new set of BFGoodrichs tonight.
>>
>drove a 97 buick shitbox
>continuously ate rear tires just like that
>alignment shop couldn't fix it
>put another set of used tires on it every 3 months
>buy jeep with solid rear axle
>never have problem again

why is adjustable rear even a thing?
>>
swap to the other side if the wear is less severe or any wheel for that matter. Rear would probably be best.
>>
>>14600646
I ran my 240's tires til the steel banding was poking out and you could cut yourself on the tire. You'll be okay. Just don't drive hard.
>>
>>14603292
just get four spare tire's to be like this
https://youtu.be/HPh90yNX-mY?t=219
>>
>bought a 320
>winter tires from 2007(illegal here but whatever, they were already on the car from the seller)
>get a full set of new alu wheels together with mint cond. michelins for 220€ from a family friend
>its like a brand new car
Quality tires are the most worthwile QoL upgrade on your car, especially if you can get them this cheap.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.