[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've always wondered....what do you think the cheapest car
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4
I've always wondered....what do you think the cheapest car (stock) is that could outrun a crown victoria police interceptor?
>>
>>14599070
Motortrend did a test back in '05 that showed a Miata walked away from cop cars in a simulated city course.
>>
> 140hp
> 2000kg

Pretty much anything
>>
>>14599089
Sorry, '07.

>So what would happen if, say, a nimble little sports car with a skilled driver at the helm took on these big four-door brutes through a maze of urban streets? To find out, we cut loose our long-term Mazda MX-5 Miata around a simulated city grid at EVOC and…
>It was no contest. In just a few turns, even with only 170 horsepower on tap, the tossable, bantamweight Miata had the 340-horse Charger flashing its strobes at thin air. At the end of the lap, the Charger was more than six seconds adrift, the Impala was trailing by about seven seconds, and the Crown Vic was nearly 10 seconds back in the dust. Against our long-term Mitsubishi Evo MR-brandishing 286 turbocharged horsepower and four-wheel drive-the gap was more than two seconds greater still. To try to even the score, we also ran some laps in BMW‘s new R 1200 RT-P police motorcycle (see sidebar), but while it proved quicker than the sedans, even it couldn’t catch the Miata. At the end of the day, the performance gap was already so lopsided we didn’t have the heart to run the Porsche 911 Carrera 4 on the course. But now you know: Any movie that shows a cop sedan hanging on the tail of a sports car through downtown L.A. (or a tight mountain road) is strictly science fiction.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/police-car-comparison/
>>
>>14599116
Wow really...I'll have to find a video of that

Think a 4.6L or 5.0L HO would?
>>
>>14599115
>140hp
Wat.
>>
>>14599132
>Ah, but in the real world, the story is more complex. Out on the open highway, that asphalt Serengeti Plain where cops hunt speeders like lions stalking gnus, the balance shifts. There, where horsepower closes the gap, a Hemi Charger (with a top speed electronically limited to 145 mph) could easily rein in a screaming Miata.
>What’s more, even if you’re driving a Ferrari Enzo, the cops have countermeasures. As in, spike strips, helicopters, fixed-wing aircraft, night-vision equipment-and other cop cars. As the old police saying goes, “There isn’t a car in the world that can outrun a Motorola.”

>Think a 4.6L or 5.0L HO would?
You mean a Foxbody or SN-95?

>>14599132
I think me meant 240hp since civilian models have 239hp, but the CVPI has 250hp due to a Marauder airbox and less restrictive exhaust.
>>
>>14599115

>140hp

umm what? most any CVPI youll see on the road has 250 HP and will catch nearly any 4 banger and most V6's.
>>
>>14599202
Not an Evo MR.

No way
>>
>>14599216
Well I didnt say ALL 4 bangers but nearly any.

a mitsu Evo MR is certainly a rare one around here in bumfuck nowhere western NC.

Now a hemi charger would certainly keep up and all highway patrol here have those.
>>
>>14599142
Once it works it's way to the wheels yeah

>>14599202
Try 200hp, and that puts it at a worse power to weight ratio as a base model civic sedan from the 90s... so...
>>
>>14599227
Do you think a cobra mustang could take a hemi charger
>>
Another crown vic.

Without all the police accessories, that is, an actual stock CV, it will be lighter and easily outrun it's laden down duty car brother.

But seriously, they're not that fast. They'll out-accelerate a lot of other commuters from the late 90's and early 00's but that's about it.
>>
>>14599241
>Try 200hp

uh no... 250 HP

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2005/Ford/Crown-Victoria-V8/Sedan-4D-Police-Interceptor/Specs
>>
>>14599248
That would be highly dependent on the year of the charger and year of the cobra since HP figures differ so much.
>>
>>14599292
>>14599241

Early 4.6 with the NPI heads were at 200, later ones with the PI heads made it to 240 and 2004+ got a new intake that bumps it to 250.

The older 5.0 models slide down from there.
>>
>>14599302
Say both 04
>>
>>14599308
Yeah its quite rare to see a crown vic so old that they dont have 250 HP or similar.

Even in my shitty rural town they only have like 2 and they are 2010's.
>>
>>14599315
The new chargers debuted in '06. Even then, the '04 Terminators would shit all over them in any trim.
>>
>>14599292
> 16 second 1/4 miles
Lpl
>>
File: IMG_20160125_184300.jpg (1 MB, 2335x1293) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160125_184300.jpg
1 MB, 2335x1293
>/o/ is so pathetic that they have to bench race a p71

The simple answer is your own p71, ypu won't have the police equipment so you're lighter and put some better tires on. That's all you have to do.
>>
>>14599315
Well theres no charger for '04 but if you consider an '06 of course the cobra would be faster but not buy a large amount.

Now considering that you run up against something later like a 2012 charger which is possible I think the charger(370 Hp/390) would be able to keep up enough.
>>
>>14599345
>"d-d-dont point out how slow my try hard wannabe police autism Mobile is! You're p-p-pathetic!"
Sure thing Paul blart
>>
I wonder if any police forces ever employed Marauders in appreciable numbers.

What a rude surprise that would be if you weren't paying attention.
>>
>>14599369
Plenty of crown vics around for you to Street race.
>>
>>14599373
They're hardly faster than a stock p71. same 3.55 rear, same transmission, +50hp and +10ft/lbs of torque. That's hardly a gain. Also offset tires you'll have been more expensive.
>>
>>14599369
Does anyone really have to point it out? I mean, even if you've never driven one before I'm sure we've all seen cops mash the pedal at a light before only to watch their landbarge creep down the road.

I have a crown vic and I like it but I can't even imagine where people, car enthusiasts or otherwise, get this idea about them being fast or even an expectation of speed. They're fast ENOUGH. That is the key word. They're big, they run smooth at high speeds, they're reliable, they're cheap, they have lots of space and they can fixed really easily in a fleet garage. That's why they were the go-to standard for police for so long.

90% of police officers don't need to go fast. Radio waves travel faster than any car or bike.

I got my crown vic because I wanted a roomy car and it shares several key components with my mustang of the same year. That and it was like 2 grand. I mean holy shit these things are a great value.
>>
>>14599392
Meh, 300 Hp back in the days it was released was decent. Probably surprised more than one ricer thats for sure.

But I agree that its not that much faster than a CVPI. Might be enough to keep up with the mustang GT's of the time.
>>
>>14599406
By the time the Marauder came out, the GT's had a full second plus on them in the 0-60 sprint.
>>
>>14599404
> does anyone really have to point itout
Yea because crown vic autists are the most delusional fanboys in existence
>>
>>14599414
Well, 1 second enough to keep up and coordinate an arrest or stop.

To get away you really have to outrun them and be completely out of sight and hope you dont run into more police.
>>
>>14599132
>a maze of urban streets

The problem is mostly weight and handling, not horsepower. You can stick a Veyron engine in a Crown Vic, but it won't make it better at cornering and dodging traffic.
>>
>>14599515

No. That is where is comes down to who has the biggest balls, the most skill and better "judgment".

We got guys here in 135hp 4 ton tare trucks that will outrun guys in 330i bimmers because they are outright desperados.
>>
>>14599466
We're talking mechanically. A Mustang GT will outrun a Marauder of the same year in just about any conditions.

Outrunning the police? No amount of horsepower in the world can help you outrun a radio.
>>
>>14599404
>90% of police officers don't need to go fast. Radio waves travel faster than any car or bike.

/thread
>>
>>14599563
Too be fair the large trucks probably have the bigger balls since they a physically much larger than the BMW's.
>>
>>14599577
>A Mustang GT will outrun a Marauder of the same year in just about any conditions.

Nah, a 2003 Maurauder has 40 HP on an '03 GT It could at the low end keep up and at the high end keep climbing in speed over the mustang.
>>
>>14599610
If they were closer in weight maybe. 700-800 pound difference is a lot though. Marauder doesn't start catching up to the Mustang until past 100mph and the mustang already has a good lead at that point. Then it comes down to gearing. A stock GT has 3.27's and a stock Marauder has 3.55's. The Mustang GT gets to keep accelerating past 130 while the Marauder is bouncing the limiter at 120.

The Marauder is impressive for it's size but it's can't keep up with a GT of the same year in the same conditions.
>>
>>14599685
I think most people/police would have no 120MPH limiter(tuned out) especially considering its a marauder.

I think that its enough to at least keep up with a mustang though, at least on a highway.
>>
>>14599709
Well if you want to get away from stock configurations the argument changes a lot.

Still, an unlimited Marauder can keep pace with a GT at top end but it still starts out behind and isn't likely to catch up. Again, moot point since it doesn't need to do so in police work because they've already radioed in for backup and you're going to get blocked up ahead.

But strictly comparing cars? The bottom line is that stock for stock the mustang walks the marauder in just about any setting.
>>
>>14599728
>The bottom line is that stock for stock the mustang walks the marauder in just about any setting.

Then why make a marauder.... guess ford didnt think that one out too well...
>>
>trying to outrun the cops when they already have your plates and thus all the info they need
>>
>>14599748
Some people drive around with stolen plates.
>>
>>14599070
It's irrelevant since even if you outrun them they probably got your plates and they will be on the lookout for your car and will probably follow up at your home address too since they can probably get that from the DMV or something.

Just turn yourself in Jamal.
>>
>>14599767
If they have your plates and you ran they certainly will show up at your house later.
>>
>>14599761
that isn't a defense
>oh those must have been stolen plates
because if you haven't reported them stolen, it doens't mantter
>>
>>14599799
What?

All im saying is that a sizable amount of people who run probably have the wrong tags on or stolen tags/plates so they probably worry less about "did the police get my plate number" and worry more about how fast they can get away.
>>
>>14599823
o i c
>>
>>14599070
Maxima.
>>
>>14599738
Well the Marauder was neither meant to compete with the Mustang nor was it meant to be a big unit mover. It was just a neat side project using parts they already had. It's a big comfy boat with enough power to have a lot of fun in. Can't seat 5 comfortably in a Mustang or haul all of their stuff in the trunk.
>>
This thing runs mid to high 16's. A Cruze with a tune from one of those weird handheld thingies runs close to 16 dead.
>>
>>14599923
I woudlnt consider a cruze with a tune nearly as reliable though.
>>
>>14599202
the cvpi takes over 16 seconds in the quarter mile.

so 250hp.. in a car weighing about 4500lbs with all its gear. Its slow, you would have to be driving mighty big pile of shit not to be able to out run it.
>>
>>14599991
>weighing about 4500lbs

So does my 5.0 explorer, and its only got ~230 HP/325 ft lbs torque and its hitting right over flat 8 second 0-60.

Thats enough to catch most casuals and I expect a CVPI can as well.
>>
>>14599962
I'd be fine with an idiotically overengineered modern engine operating outside its comfort zone in a chase situation.
>>
>>14600019
"Most casuals" are driving econoboxes that hit 100mph before the wannabe police autism Mobile wheezes it's way to 60mph
>>
>>14600035
I really really doubt that.

Those "casuals" would have to have a car that can hit 100 MPH in ~8 seconds. Thats Skyline GTR territory.
>>
>>14599070
>stock
Why limit yourself like that?
>>
>>14600030
>Blow turbo
>police catch up
>roughed up, taken to jail, hefty fine/ticket
>not to mention thousands in car repairs...
>>
>>14600035
Im sorry but thats just not true.

Any car hitting 100 MPH that fast is GT 500 tier.
>>
>>14599070
A V6 Accord
>>
>>14599116
How's the Miata outrunning a bike? That seems counterintuitive as fuck.
>>
>>14600095
Lots of tight turns.
>>
>>14600095
Bikes can't turn unless it's sweepers.
>>
>>14599563
Assuming equal driver skill, obviously.
>>
>>14600095
Police bikes wweighs much as a miata
>>
>>14600019
a mid 2000s base model honda accord 4 cylinder is faster getting to 60 with just under 8 seconds.
>>
File: 1452839059341.jpg (25 KB, 256x360) Image search: [Google]
1452839059341.jpg
25 KB, 256x360
>>14599799
>Report plates as stolen, take them off vehicle
>Go on crimewave a week later with your alibi
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.