[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /o/ How would a 05+ 350Z compare to a E36 M3? I found a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (36 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
36 KB, 480x360
Hey /o/

How would a 05+ 350Z compare to a E36 M3?

I found a nice '97 M3 2dr 5spd Luxury Package for $6700 with 133k miles. I also keep finding a bunch of 05-06 350Zs for not much more ($7-8000) including a 06 350Z Enthusiast with 100k miles for $8000.

How does the Z compare? I know the E36 is the pinnacle of handling/driving experience, only matched by the S2000 and Miata/RX7/RX8. What kind of work would I need to get the Z to match it? On paper they're close, the Z is more powerful while only having 200lbs more. But the Z needs Brembos to match the brakes on the M3. I also hear driving them; the Z is almost always described as more "agricultural" and "rough". Not as precise or predictable as the E36.

I know there's a few owners of both on /o/.
>>
>>14598938
>z
Pigfat
Wrong 6 configuration

M3 all day long
>>
Bump. Want some more opinions before I decide. Gonna try to test drive a 350Z tomorrow; though dealers tend to be really cautious about test driving anything manual
>>
Just my .02, i think the Z would be a much more reliable car than the M3.

But, i actually hate the door panels on the Z for some reason and would never buy one because of it.

M3 will have nicer features for being a DD overall, but you have to consider its almost 10 years older than the Z.
>>
>>14599058
>Pigfat
no
>Wrong 6 configuration
I6 is a meme, there's a reason nobody but BMW uses it anymore.

That said I'd easily recommend an E36 (E46 best M3) over it, the 350z is just a mess that the 370z fixed. Because OP is obviously a poorfag he'd be better off with the Z because he'll never be able to afford maintenance costs on the M3
>>
E36 won't be as reliable, and maintenance/repair costs will be higher than the Z.
I've got a buddy who drives a Z and his only complaint is that there's only two seats and not enough storage room. goes plenty fast, though, and after driving it myself it's not a miata by any means but the handling isn't bad. i'd say if needing brembos is the only real downside you see to a Z just get it because upgrading the brakes isn't hard to do.
>>
>>14601003
There is a reason. A V6 can be mounted transversely and used in FWD applications to save money on the RWD variants. BMW makes what, one FWD car? With a 4 cylinder. They can afford to make the vastly superior inline 6.
>>
>>14601042
tldr; benefits gained from an I6 is not worth the ridiculous amounts of accommodation they require. Even supercars/hypercars almost exclusively use V6s and flat 6s
>>
>>14601051
>ridiculous amounts of accommodation
Such as?

A V6 requires balancing shafts as well as your wife to surrender her pussy to a black man every night. Fuck off with your tinny sounding torqueless box of a motor.
>>
>>14601064
I6 requires 50% more space than V6 nigger
>>
don't bother modding the m3. you'll spend as much keeping it running.
>>
File: IMAG0450.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0450.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
I can't speak for the M3, but my pigfat is fun. It's probably pretty bare-bones compared to even a '97 M3, and it's kind of unpredictable in the rain, but it'll cost you far less to maintain in the long run.
>>
>>14601346
I wouldn't go past a exhaust and a cup kit.

>>14601351
kek at the sticker. Is it unpredictable from just not enough traction?

>>14601033
>not a miata by any means

everything i've seen so far describes them more as a grand tourer than a actual sports car....i kinda want a sports car. I'd try to track down a VLSD car; moreso one with Brembos.

I'm sticking to 2005+ unless I find a good 03-04; they seemed to have a lot of transmission issues early on.

>>14601003
I'm not that much of a poorfag. I have a two car garage I can leave it if it breaks and a shitbox to keep miles off it.

How's the oil consumption? I'd expect if it was truly terrible it would've been fixed/the engine replaced already if I bought a higher mileage car.
>>
>>14601351
Where did you get that sticker
>>
>>14601351
Dat sticker, where'd you get it
>>
>>14601391
>>14601392
Down to the fucking second
>>
>>14601370
It just loves to spin if you give it any gas, especially when it's raining. Do yourself a favor and just grannydrive around the corners if the road is wet... Very nearly found myself in a ditch after the first few months of owning it.
>>14601391
>>14601392
Go ask Vodnik at the sticker general, he should still have the original file. I made it and had him print it off for me.
>>
>>14601370
>03-04 transmission issues
Shit really? Did Nissan give the 05+ the Rev up engine? Or am I confusing with the g35?
>>
>>14598938
Get the Z. Get a cat back in it. Enjoy watching people soaking their pants in awe at the sound of it.
>>
>>14600979
>M3 will have nicer features for being a DD overall
Name one.
>>
>>14603576
4 doors more whores
>>
>>14598938

Post the VINs I'll run a CarFax. Post the last seven characters of the BMW's VIN and I'll run a BMW factory feature list.
I work for a BMW dealer.
>>
>>14603622
>Mom made me buy a four-door car
Why the fuck would you actually want to drive more than one woman around at a time, despite your fantasies only one at BEST will fuck you.
>>
>>14603518
05 was still the DE, 06 had the Rev up (which some people experienced burning through a shitton of oil) and then the 07+ is the HR engine
>>
>>14603622
>So then I told him my friends would sleep with him if he gave my friends ride and he did
>The absolute madman hahahahaahah
>>
>>14603878

WBSBG9324VEY76241

Any way to check for maintenance records? Guy said he had it maintained at a "local shop"; taking it to a BMW indie shop when I check it out before handing money over.

>>14603917
So the 2006s had a different VQ only for that year?

>>14603576
The M3 sounds like more of a sports car anyways from how it drives. I'm not too concerned about it being a DD. The better reliability is noted though.
>>
if you get a 350z, get an 07 or 08. the vq35hr is significantly better - redlines at 7500, powerband is much wider and makes about 20 hp more
>>
File: file.gif (3 MB, 688x358) Image search: [Google]
file.gif
3 MB, 688x358
>>14603901
>>14603921
>he doesn't want to be able to take his friends hooning on their way to a specialty ice cream shop
Are you guys even alive?
>>
>>14604067
In reference to the engines. Yes, the 06 had its own specific DE engine
>>
>>14601003
So 3,500 pounds isn't pigfat if its in a v6 import, but 3,200 pounds is pigfat if its in a v8 domestic? /o/ never ceases to amaze me with it's brilliant logic.
>>
What's a good diff to swap into a base 350z?
>>
>>14598938
What the fuck OP... m3 all day, fuck that pigfat Nippon piece of shit why do you even need to ask this?
>>
>>14598938

The Z weighs double what the M3 does.
>>
>>14604594
Not him, but what domestic v8 weighs 3200lbs?
>>
>>14604973
Corvette, a 350z also weighs as much as a mustang, camaro, equus bass, impala, basically everything except for Chrysler, and trucks.
>>
File: ShowVIDealerPdf.jpg (372 KB, 877x1859) Image search: [Google]
ShowVIDealerPdf.jpg
372 KB, 877x1859
>>14604067

Only the service that was done at a BMW dealer.
Carfax is clean.
>>
>>14598938
Well I may be partial to e36 styling, but just so you know, the luxury package came without the lower lip, had slats instead of mesh in the lower grille (looks great if painted black), had smooth side skirts instead of the ridged ones, has sport seats instead of vaders (which are more comfortable but less cool looking), has the burlwood trim instead of the textured black (easier to chip up and not enough in the car to make it truly fit I'd say), and has the nicer leather door cards (which I kind of miss personally). So it is somewhat pick and choose, but just so you are aware of what a luxury package entails.
>>
>>14605253
Appreciate it, thanks.

>>14604952
Close to 200lbs more. It's not that overweight. I think the problem has more to do with how it drives; it feels heavier than it actually is and doesn't hide its weight as well as the M3.
>>
>>14605367
Yeah I figured as much. I'll add the splitter later down the line and get the wood trim plastidipped or wrapped black or carbon fiber/silver. The sunroof bothers me but they're so hard to find these days without one. Slats and skirts are barely noticeable to me.

The seats are fine by me, when I get more money I can always pick up a set of black Type R Recaro SRDs off some Honda kiddie locally for cheap if they bothered me. The bolstering on Vaders apparently was never that good anyways (unless I find the holy grail like cloth Vaders)

I just get hard thinking about a E36 M3 with a mild 1" drop (Bilsteins/Konis), Recaro SRDs, and 17x8.5 Koseis/SSRs on 245 RS3s on all four corners. Think I know where my tax return is going if I get this car. Taking it to a BMW indie to check it out Saturday morning when I buy it. If it fails I'll still keep looking for a M3. There's something wrong with me when my dream car is a 20 year old $7000 BMW...I think I have low expectations. Only a R33 GTR/GC8 STI/997 GT3 could be better in my mind.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.