[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /o/, I recently bought a 98 Forester with around 120k miles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: subaru-forester-1998-14.jpg (56 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
subaru-forester-1998-14.jpg
56 KB, 640x480
Hey /o/,

I recently bought a 98 Forester with around 120k miles on it, and on the highway it overheated and the temp fluctuated. Well I took it in to the dealer (not a Subaru dealer) and they said the headgaskets were leaking (yes, I knew what I was getting myself into, I just hoped I had more time) and they quoted me $3900 for the repair.

Is this a normal price? I'm calling a good mechanic tomorrow to get a quote.
Will the Coolant Conditioner help? I've read that it's stopped some minor leaks before. The guy at the dealer didn't tell me how bad the leak was.

Thoughts?
>>
I was literally about to warn you about headgaskets when I saw forester and then even 120k miles.
Then I read the rest.
>>
>>14593350
also 3900 seems quite a lot but then I think working on a boxer is way more time intensive.
>>
>>14593350

Not the smartest decision I've made, I got rid of my oil-burning electrical-failure prone Audi to get it. Car is in perfect condition except this headgasket leak.
>>
>>14593363

Well at $3900 I might as well get rid of the car. I'd like to not do that, as I really like it.
>>
>>14593389
I'd look through some subi forums.
Since this is a fucking common problem, there should be a ton to read and probably help you finding a cheaper way out of this situation
>>
>>14593404

Yeah I have been, I haven't seen anybody quoted at 4 grand for this repair. The dealer did call and say they would split the cost with me so it'd cost me $1950. I'll see what local mechanic says.
>>
>>14593389

if its just a small leak and youre in a spot where its either pay more than the car is worth to fix or junk it, you should try using Blue Devil Headgasket sealer

It costs les than 20 dollars and i used it on my 1999 windstar which had the same problem as your subaru and that shit actually worked, been over a year now and it hasnt broken again
>>
>>14593389

>really like it

But it's not even a turbo forester.

The only thing to like about them is that they are quick with a bit of ground clearance and when you have an American market forester you loose one of those things.
>>
>>14593432

Couldn't hurt, thanks. Do I need to flush the coolant or can I just put it directly into the radiator?
>>
>>14593435

Idk why man, I just do.
>>
>>14593439
I used the one that was called blue devil headgasket sealer "pour-n-go"
All you have to do is put it in the radiator and idle the car for 1hr+ (i let mine idle for 2hr) then just shut it off and leave it overnight without driving it and thats all
>>
>>14593344
>I recently bought

Was a private sale or a dealership sale?, if it's the second is time to drive to them and tell them to shove it. I hope you have nice lemon laws where you live.
>>
>>14593344
How much did you pay for it?

Yep, the repair isn't cheap. Don't run the engine more, as the heads may warp, if they haven't already.
>>
>>14593542
>lemon laws
Why do idiots always think lemon laws apply to private sales of 10 year old vehicles?
>>
>>14596160
He clearly asks if it was purchased at a dealership. Calm down there buddy
>>
Op if you really want and gave the means to yourself pull the ej25 snd fund another uses cheap. Theyre everywhere and we're put in everything. Can probably pull the motor in 45min if you're goof with a wrench
>>
>>14596277
Holy hell my English is horrible. They were put in everything and find a used one cheap.
>>
I mean if you really wanna cheap out and have basic hand tools you can do it in the drive way. Depending on how hot it got you might be able to get away without a machine chop decking the heads.

I've tossed gaskets on a Subaru before and it held for the 40k extra I put on it before I sold it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.