[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to build a more powerful car?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
So please forgive me, I'm not a mechanic but I do know the basics and can get around doing my own build (with a bit of studying), however I need a bit of advice /o/.
I plan on supercharging my car, it's a 6 cylinder with aftermarket injectors, intake, strut bar, and exhaust, just a single straight piped fast flow exhaust. I imagine I'll be needing to do something with the back axles, what should/could I do to make it able to handle the extra torque now being added? Or would it be better to simply get a new back axle? On Top of that I'll probably need an intercooler, cams, and a few other things, I'll be stealing the supercharger off a 1989 Thunderbird 3.8L and basically swapping all the needed parts over. If there anything in specific I should build up on the car to handle the boost in horse power I'd love to know. I want to do this properly but also not waste a lot of money buying parts I don't need.
>>
>>14588527
join a forum specific to your car.
>>
definitely visit a forum for your car and propose your build to them. supercharging is easier than tubocharging but not much so
>>
>>14588527
This is that riced 4th gen v6 mustsng faggot isn't it
>>
>>14588527
Get a complete kit and it'll save you alot of headache. S/C usually provide low boost in a predicable way. You won't get the power of a turbo but you also remove some of the issues with one. At worse you might need to upgrade the internals. A good tune can make the difference though. You need to join a forum and find a tutorial on doing this. Since you're pulling a factory one, I'm assuming other people have done this for your vehicle. Let someone else make the mistakes.
>>
>>14588602
Oh god if this is the case ignore >>14588607
and just kill yourself instead.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 220x229) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 220x229
>>14588602
>carless tripfag
>calling anyone a faggot
>>
>>14588602
oh jesus
i don't understand trying to put more power into that v6 when the price difference between a v6 and v8 is like half the cost of the supercharger
>>
>>14588527
Why do you think you need to do something with the axles? Unless you're running drag slicks, a Lenco, and launching at 4000 rpm, you're not going to load the axles enough to hurt them. How much HP do you honestly think you're going to generate with an old T-Bird blower? That T-Bird supercharged V-6 was only rated at 210HP. Even with an overdrive pulley, you aren't going to see 400hp out of a stock V-6. It's not like you're building a pro-stock car here. Just bolt the damn thing on and go drive the car.
>>
>>14588620
That's what I was aiming for, really. I don't really care how much HP i'm running but I'm hitting a bit under 200 with current mods, a basic supercharger kit should be great.

>>14588619
I wish it was that easy where I live, I looked pretty hard. All V8's where either beaten up, had major engine issues, or they just wanted way too much for it. Just a few basic mods on the V6 should be enough to easily keep up with the V8s wince they where only 60 or so hp more. I'm doing it more for a project then anything.

>>14588602
Yea it's me long time no see huh? Got the car primed up and a few more things fixed up in it. Plan on doing the repaint next weekend ;) Honestly I don't see how me having a bumper I like makes me a ricer but mmk.
>>
>>14588859
Just an add on to the car body, the previous body was scratched and had a lot of rust and dents. I filled them all in, sanding the whole car down, primed the whole car 2 coats then wetsanded it, planning on painting it all matte black. It has a ricer spoiler but it came with the car, I'll live with it because I'd rather put money towards internals. Also the bumper is a bolt on but I do plan on finishing up the new welded front end so there won't be any ugly exterior bolts cuz' that's just rice. LWM is hard af to instal. Also gotta order the new side skirts as well then I do plan on calling it good, maybe just tint out the windows.

One more thing, here's another setup I found. It's a pretty custom 3.8L, body is destroyed but the internals seem legit + it's charged. I might go with it and steal the duel catback setup its got as well..
>>
>>14588859
I've seen ya posting on here for a while, and I understand you want to make your v6 faster. I'm not saying you should give up, or anything like the other trolls. Just hear me out.

A supercharger is hardly a bolt on, it really just isn't so simple like everyone thinks. As the owner of a kenne bell i'll give ya some input (Inb4 jealous 80 hp honda fags tell me to an hero)

First off, i guess you mean the 1.3 eaton or something. Well, those chargers aren't very efficient, and even though they are cheap and seem like easy power, here's what ya need.

1. intake manifold, possibly an adaptor on top of it, for the charger to sit on.

2.You might need fuel rails, injector, pump(s), BAP, so on...fuel shit gets expensive. Although i don't know what your v6 comes with and is capable of powerwise.

3. A custom, and balanced pulley drive, this is important. You can't slap this shit together, and it can bend and break, or warp.

4. the stock v6 won't handle as much power as a stock 4.6, so even if you do everything right, that block and pistons will have a limit...and they wont be nearly as high as the v8s.

Really man, you should consider a v8 swap. I'm just trying to help you save money in the long run. The labor, just for the supercharger, will cost a lot. Look at getting a v8 and NOS, or just NOS. It really is good bang for your buck. Feel free to ask me any specifics
>>
>>14588859
You are a ricer because you spent a bunch of money on ugly cosmetic shit and no performance parts. And I don't care where you are, all you need is a teeny bit of patience for a not-shit v8 mustang.
>>
>>14589007
I bought a bumper on sale, wooptie do. I've spent plent on tuning, cold air intake, injectors, and interior upgrades. This thread is me acking for help in picking my performance parts and you still get mad at me for not having performance parts is there no pleasing you lmao. \

>>14588936
That's what I was thinking but I get a ton of people saying it's pretty hard to do the whole V8 swap. If it's cheaper and better in the long run then i'll definitely consider it. The I think 96-01 ford F150s used basically the same engine style, would an engine from one of them work since there not a whole lot of V6 mustangs in the scrap yards here? I've seen a few recommendations, as long as I got room to fit it all in.
>>
>>14589164
You're making an idiotic performance decision as well. The v6 mustang only exists as a suspension parts donor for v8 mustangs that have seen hard times. There is no point in modifying it at all. Sell it to some poor shmuck, save a bit more if you need to, and buy a v8 model. Much cheaper and easier than a supercharger.
>>
>>14589164
Those single port 3.8L are pretty terrible... You'd be better off doing a split-port swap first. That is 50hp right there,
>>
>>14588859
>i dont see how havign a disgusting body kit and fuck off huge hood bulge on a v6 mustang makes me a ricer
typical ricer
>>
>>14588859
If you are thinking of just slapping on a Thunderbird Supercoupe supercharger on, your are in for a shock. They are not simple bolts-on and you basically need a whole donor car.
>>
Aussies do some pretty mad things with these.

From what ive seen i dont think its possible to easily ad the s/c to a n/a motor its easier/cheaper to swap the intake/supercharger if you get it cheap but you might not be able to run the stock bottom end very long
>>
>>14589210
Fuel system on a N/A single port is completely different from a S/C single port Essex.

Also, the pulley system is completely different. You'd be better off swapping it from a wrecked Supercoupe.

Also OP, is that a 96-98 or a 94-95? Motor mounts are different between those years.
>>
>>14589221
Kek actually you know what most aussies do?

LS swap.

some cunts swap a S/C 3800 in but v8 is cheaper and more common
>>
File: ddddddddfsdrfds.png (69 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
ddddddddfsdrfds.png
69 KB, 184x184
>>14589221
It's a 95. I've been reading up on a forum on it so I probably in the end would need a donor car, but oh well. Maybe 'll finish the repaint, toss in a 100 shot of NOS and sell it to some kiddo and call her good. Riced body + NOS = profit

Honestly though I don't see what wrong with modifying the body. Some like stock, others don't. It's a 95 Mustang, I hate the body style. Personally I like the 2003 styles more, if I had one I wouldn't do much body work to it.

Also tossing in injectors and intake isn't a very poor decision, it runs and sounds a lot smoother.
>>
>>14589210
>Aussies do some pretty mad things with these
pretty sure we never ever got a v6 mustang engine
>>
>>14589257
Speaking from experience here:

I had a 2001 V6 which I did intake, tune, shifter, 3.73 gears, T-Lok, full exhaust and various exterior mods to.

I ended up selling it for $3500 three years ago. I drove some shit box 1989 4-banger Notchback Mustang for a few years and saved up some cash along with getting a good job out of college. Now I drive this.
>>
>>14589293
Sick car. My SN95 is just a daily driver and for screwing around with. Most of my money is being saved and I hope when I got enough saved to sell my car and use the combined money to get something else. I love mustangs but they get so much hate I'd like to get an old E30 or something to work on.
>>
File: 2001.jpg (142 KB, 670x463) Image search: [Google]
2001.jpg
142 KB, 670x463
>>14589305
This was my '01.
>>
>>14589293
How much difference do the 3.73 gears make?
>>
>>14588936

It's me again

>>14589164

Well, first off is your stang 94-95? Those GTs had a pushrod 5.0 so you'd need to swap to that because the k-member. If its 96-98, then a 4.6 from those years would probably be the easiest fit, but they are really dog motors.

A SOHC with PI heads and cams is considerably better, so that's 99-04 gt and some other 4.6s. Pretty sure if you go new enough in a crown vic that they have at least PI heads. (although that is probably gonna be a super high mileage abused motor, and honestly in a crown vic it could be 250k-500k miles.)

You need to find a local performance shop and be ready to pay a few grand for this stuff, talk to them about doing a 4.6 swap. If they're up to do it for a reasonable price, then pull one at a junkyard or something.
>>
>>14589164
>I get a ton of people saying it's pretty hard to do the whole V8 swap.
It is because you need to basically consume a V8 donor car to do it. But then, what you are proposing, with transferring over the supercoupe parts, also basically requires consuming a donor car to do it, including fueling & engine management not native to an SN95 car. It would probably be less work and possibly cheaper to just buy an e-bay grade serpentine-driven blower, and keep the boost below the point of belt slippage.

>The I think 96-01 ford F150s used basically the same engine style, would an engine from one of them work since there not a whole lot of V6 mustangs in the scrap yards here?
It's the same engine in the late 90's truck,but they're all going to be bolted to the wrong kind of transmission and have a truck accessory-belt setup that probably won't fit nicely in a Mustang. I rarely if ever see V8 mustangs in cheap junkyards, and even more rarely V8/5-speed combos. But for just the engine itself, a pick n' pull is pretty much a limitless source of compatible $150 4.6 long blocks.

Rather than a swap, you might consider buying one of those beat-to-shit V8 mustangs you mentioned, and just swapping the good body/interior parts from your V-6 onto it. If the beat-to-shit 4.6 blows up, you can replace it with a truck one easily because you'll already have the right accessories and drivetrain.
>>
>>14589646
The 3.73 really woke the car up.

Keep in mind your car has 2.73 gears stock not the 3.27 like mine did. You will see a huge difference.
>>
Thanks for the info guys! Extremely helpful. I'll definitely take much of it into consideration.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.