[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /o/ My stepdad just offered me his 3rd gen MR2 for $100,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: mrduece.jpg (623 KB, 2048x1357) Image search: [Google]
mrduece.jpg
623 KB, 2048x1357
Sup /o/

My stepdad just offered me his 3rd gen MR2 for $100, provided I get it insured.

It's all stock except for a professionally installed body kit and an aftermarket stereo.

Here's the catch: it's on it's 3rd transaxle. It's currently under warranty from the mechanic that replaced it twice before, and this is number 3 in the span of just a few years. This latest time it sat at the shop for 3 months before the mechanic could even find a used transaxle that could be rebuilt, forget about new or aftermarket.

So, should I pick this up and try to flip it, run it into the ground, or take a pass? What do you think /o/? I'm in the market for a new daily anyways, and my top choice was an AP1/AP2 S2000 and this doesn't seem too far off.
>>
Hardtop is worth more then car
>>
>3rd transaxle
>daily driver
>>
>>14551203
Even if it's on it's last legs, $100 is a steal and I could easily make profit just selling off some of the big parts and selling the rest for scrap to fund a new daily once it dies for real. Just don't know if it's worth my time.
>>
>>14551173
>get to tell your kids you drove an MR2 that you bought for $100
do it
>>
Err if it was a $1000 maybe not but dude $100? Who cares if it blows up.
>>
you could just buy it and then sell it
>>
>>14551173
Third time's the charm.

If it fails, 2ZZ swap it brah.
>>
Get it
>>
>>14551887
>2ZZ swap
1MZ swap instead. Lighter, cheaper, more powerful and TRD makes superchargers for them.
>>
>>14551173
Buy it. Drive it and if it fails, then partout. If you are found to have flipped it right after someone sold it to you for cheap, they might start hating you if you care about that.
>>
definitely worth it mate its just 100 bucks I spent that much on booze last week
>>
>>14551215
For $100 do it obviously wtf

Why would you even ask.

The engine will probably go for 3x that
>>
>>14551173
for $100 bucks? I don't see how how you couldn't
I agree with >>14551914
>>
100$? I spent that much on weed last week
>>
>100$ for a working car

Unless that's Canadian dollars, literally *any* car that turns on and moves is worth more than 100.
>>
>$100
Is this seriously a question? Do it faggot!
>>
>>14551173

Wow. How is this even a question. ROFL. In 4 days I spend that much on food.
>>
>>14552210
I should clarify.

A 1MZ swap would be cheaper if it was a SW20. I just did my research and found out you need a new gearbox if you want to do the swap on a W30.

But seriously OP, it's a $100 car. Worse comes to worse, you could part it out and make that back in no time.
>>
>>14551173
Why on earth are you even asking this, I sincerely hope you actually meant at least $1000 and mistyped it
>>
>>14551887

This. For $100 the body alone is worth it. Even if you drop another $5K into a drivetrain upgrade you're still ahead.
>>
I'll buy it off you for twice what you pay.
>>
>>14552274
>unless that's Canadian dollars

Bruh, our dollar is so low right now, 100 maple bucks is basically free. A stack of used condoms is worth 100 maple bucks at this point. Obviously a car made of any metal whatsoever is worth that, let alone if it runs and drives.

FYI OP, this is your dad giving you his car. Don't be a shit about it.
>>
Fuck yea you should?!

Thrash her to death if you want but its a hindred bucks for a car MR sports car.thats literally the best deal imaginable. Go for it
>>
OP you are being given a car. if you cant stop being an ungrateful little shit and feel the need to somehow make a profit on it, let your stepdad keep his fucking mr2
>>
>>14553009
this,
if he wanted the car parted out and sold, he would do it himself and pocket the cash. Buy it, sink some money into it. For a 100$ you're ahead even if you rebuild the engine
>>
>>14551914
a much more involved job than a 2ZZ swap though
>>
literally ANY car that drives and can be insured is worth buying at that price.

Your stepdad is obviously doing you a huge favour, and by selling you that car at that price hes taking a pretty big loss financially. If you part it out or flip it for a profit after he pretty much just gave it to you as a gift, that would make you a shitty kid. So don't do that.
>>
>>14554881
This

I'd take it without second thought and fix anything that needs fixing/take care of it
>>
>>14551173
Do it. It's like a mid-engined Miata. Hardtop too.
>>
>>14554925
Lighter than a Miata too

OP can make a killer track car
>>
>>14551914
Good luck finding that supercharger, they haven't been made in years and only run 4 pounds of boost.
>>
>>14552708
Remember it has to be a non vvti 1mz to use that ancient supercharger
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.