[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Almost crashed my car during a simple canyon run today. Wasn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: dp.jpg (17 KB, 342x318) Image search: [Google]
dp.jpg
17 KB, 342x318
Almost crashed my car during a simple canyon run today. Wasn't even going 8/10.

For those of you who are good at performance driving, how do you improve your driving skills without going full retard?
>>
You take it to a track and loose control there.
>>
>>14548832
Play video games
>>
>>14548852
>Play video games
How the fuck does this remotely help at all?

Video games =/= real life
Simulations are not good enough now a days. You got faggots on rfactor and atessa corsa thinking they're all schumachers.
>>
>>14548859
>not joining the GT academy
>>
>>14548859
It should provide enough understanding of vehicle dynamics to keep you from doing something silly
>>
>>14548859
>Simulations are not good enough now a days
surely you want to play Mario Kart 64 to get true understanding of racing. Nothing comes close to Mario Kart. Nothing.
>>
understand the science behind it and then tell your mind to fuck off
>>
File: 1456537643626.png (15 KB, 469x331) Image search: [Google]
1456537643626.png
15 KB, 469x331
>>14548891
>Nothing comes close to Mario Kart. Nothing.
>>
video games.
>>
>>14548837
/thread
>>
>>14548832

Autocross is objectively the cheapest and safest way to learn your car's limits at typical highway speeds.
>>
>>14548837
Tracks frown upon this though
>>
>>14548837
^this
also >loose
>>
By going full retard and flipping an AWD car at 35
>>
find a big ass parking lot to learn when your car understeers or oversteers. Get going fast and turn while lifting off the throttle for oversteer practice, try to turn way to sharp when going too fast for understeer practice. Eventually you get a feel for it through the steering wheel and the seat. Tires can tell you a lot based on the sound they are making.

Or like other anons said, do a track day and do a few sessions with an instructor giving you tips and pointers.
>>
>>14549126
Tracks are wider and dont have blind spots really. Plus as long as you arent spinning out all the time you should be good.

I spun out on the first lap of the 2nd session last time i was out when my tires were cold and noone cared.
>>
>>14548859
Ive never been a road course in my life, but Ive played every GT and forza there is growing up. I went out for 30 laps in a TaG kart for the first time last weekend and I was only 7 secs off the pace with a rental kart.

It was exactly like GT or forza, minus the fucking crazy g force.
>>
Auto cross and track days. As many as the schedule and budget will allow.

The best thing you can do is simply accept the fact that you'll never be a top tier dagumi level driver. Enjoy the driving you can do without going full retard.
>>
>>14548832
Drive an 4x4 suv on the road. Seriously.
After driving a car that will roll over the second you push it too hard, you'll know your limits, and the skills you can get from learning to manage driving fast while maintaining loss of traction and body roll to a minimum are indispensable.
If after driving a lifted jimny or samurai you can't control weight shift, you probably aren't very good at this
>>
>>14548832
Hit a go-kart track that keeps times, chase the best lap time, and learn how to corner.
>>
>>14550270

I'll add to this.

Drive a POS shit-tier car. Srs.
I had a old Honda Del Sol with the base model single cam D BS engine and the crappy pogo-stick suspension. I could loose that turd at under 30 mph if I was driving it wrong. It gave me a chance to dick around in a car at low speeds while not having to worry about too much.
>>
>>14548832
You're gonna make mistakes no matter how good you are.

You just make less of them, as you grow in experience.
>>
>>14550311
Yeah, I'm glad to see someone who has had similar experiences.
When you drive a shitbox on bald tires in the rain, you learn some pretty intricate shit about driving.
>>
>>14550354
What about an FR-S with ESC off? Doesn't that meet all your requirements, except has even more power?
>>
>>14550377
Yeah I guess, but when I mean shit box I mean like, sub 100hp. Something that will kill you if you fuck up, even if it isn't very fast.
Also, crashing a frs might be more expensive to repair in general, and also abs is still a thing. The thing with what I propose is just a raw driving experience. Like driving an air cooled porsche but less pretentious and fast. Something dangerous at any speed, but as basic as possible.
>>
>>14550270
>>14550311
These up until last month I've been driving a 92 k1500 with crap suspension and not only does it make just about every other car I'm in seem more comfortable and stable but it's made me a pretty decent winter driver
>>
>>14548837

Lose - to suddenly not have. "I lose control when trying to hoon my miata through a school zone."

Loose - your mom. "I was balls deep in your mom's loose, prolapsed vag last night."
>>
>>14550562
Vaginas don't prolapse are you sure that it wasn't anons dad cross dressing?
>>
>>14550638
Hey, either way, I still fucked his progenitor
>>
>>14548832
Buy and read A Twidt of the Wrist by Keith Code. If it makes sense get the sequal and The Soft Science of Motorcycle Racing.

I know you drive a car but a lot of the info transfers. Motorcyclists are in the same spot as you are. If they loose it their bike is getting damaged and they are possibly getting injured.

>>14548837
Terrible advice. You don't learn anything by driving beyond your capabilities.
>>
File: 1454335340987.gif (109 KB, 205x260) Image search: [Google]
1454335340987.gif
109 KB, 205x260
>>14548832

>Tearing up the touge on my bike
>Strafing the apex on a tight right hander
>A bump upsets the front tire mid turn
>Front end starts to wash
>If I lowside, my face is going to get all intimate like with his front bumper
>Ohshit.jpg
>Somehow regain traction and save it
>I pray to the pavemant Gods for sparing me
>>
>>14550879

Fug I accidently deleted a line

There was a camry in the oncoming lane as I made the turn
>>
>>14550638

They do man.

They do.
>>
>>14550834
*A Twist of The Wrist
>>
>drive ultimate Bavarian machine. Push it 10/10. Car tries to kill me for a split moment then the electronics kick in. No shits given and leave the dagumi drivers behind at 8/10.
>>
>>14550895
Pics or it didn't happen. I've heard that some people would actually lie on the internet.
>>
Track time.
>>
>>14550953
>admitting you are this useless
Of course a tripfag would be this stupid.
>>
>>14548832
Either go to a track or be severely depressed and do the same thing without giving a shit whether or not you die.
>>
>>14551231
>or be severely depressed and do the same thing without giving a shit whether or not you die
Worked for me. Feels like becoming a superhero. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody though.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.