[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Actual question, no meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (380 KB, 1571x884) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
380 KB, 1571x884
I know supras are good for producing power on the cheap, but are they more than a muscle car to go fast in a straight line?

Assuming top of the line suspension and tyres, are they good for turning without sliding out (i hear the chassis is pretty tail happy)?

Is the chassis rigid enough (or if not, something a few strut braces won't fix)?

I genuinely like the car, it's fucking cool and cheap as hell here in australia, but there's a lot of meme magic around the car and i want some honest opinions.

Can i get some facts from people who've driven them and don't sugar coat it or shitpost about it either?

Really appreciated mates
>>
>>14547294
Bump, someone has to know
>>
I don't know much about the supra, but you're right about it being a meme car.

It's not a bad car, but people overvalue it like it's undefeatable.

If you enjoy it, don't let the memesters dishearten you. They're a terrible fanbase, but be the exception. Many great cars have shitty fanbases and that should not impact your choices at all.
>>
>>14547294
>make power cheap.
My overer there. But not in the US
>drag car
It has a very hard time getting traction.
Basically 1000hp will get you into the high 10s
>>
>>14547436
>My overer there
Wtf happened here
*maybe over there
>>
They're best at being what they're intended to be; a gt car. Same as most other performance orientated cars, you spend the money making into anything you want; drift, drag, dyno queen, track. But honestly they belong on the street going for cruises. Gotta realise that being a gt car it was never meant to be lightweight, the chassis' got some weight on it, so it'll kick the tail when pushed but not as happily as an ss ute or something.
Stock suspension on the gte version are damn respectable for stock, manual box(6 speed) is over engineered to the enth degree same with the gte engine. Auto box is nigh unkillable (500 thousand km easy)
Best starting point i found are sway bars if want tighter response. You can go crazy and get under fender and under body chassis stuts, but unless it's some 500kw track car it really doesn't need it.
Treat it like it is. It's not the king of all cars but they're damn fine.
>>
>>14547440
Thanks, i figured it was along those lines.

I won't be pushing it crazily, but i do enjoy taking a few twisty roads now and then and i just want to feel comfortable.

I'll be taking it to around 500 so it has power and decent response and then focusing on making the handling very enjoyable. It's good you say it's a nice GT car because i intend to treat it as such, a fun car to take out the country every now and then.

You mentioned it's a hell of a lot better than a SS ute, can you elaborate on that a bit more?
>>
>>14547440
Not OP but there are a number of carbon fibre bodykits out there (the real ones, not the fake ones) which will give significant weight savings. Some people get to 1200-1100kg on their supras.

I hear they handle very nicely.
>>
>>14547492
Yeah, cruises, going through the hills with mates. Those are the places it shines. 500rwkw would be too much for street, especially in manual, pot holes, speed bumbs, train tracks, traffic. Mines 220 at the rear and it out performs friends vy ss, ve ss ute, fg xr6t, 2015 sti, cant catch me through the hills. Yeah they can take power and a lot of it, but after a certain amount it becomes less fun and more a chore to drive.

Utes, especially the new ones with the 6.2s, have no weight over the rear wheels and all of it hanging just shy of the front wheels, anything above 300rwkw and you cant take corners, from dead stop, in 1st or 2nd (unless it's "ho my god hectic skid time" )
>>14547504
Biggest weight saving you can do is replace the bonnet and boot hatch with allow versions(lighter, stronger than cf), body kits don't weigh enough to care about replacing, realistically.
>>
>>14547552
Have you done any suspension mods to yours?

And i thought replacing hoods were illegal, or is that just carbon fibre here in vic?
>>
>>14547559
Rca Coilovers and toe arms and ball joints, rca rears, whiteline front and rear sway bars, and a bonnet strut. Always follow the rule of brakes and suspension before power. Make sure it can handle it before you put it in.
Nah alloy is fine. The older cf parts used to shatter in crashes, bonnets used to go shrapnel mode into pedestrians, not pretty. Newer ones I'm sure are better maybe even legal, but they look ricer and attract shitty attention, cops, hectic p platers and wannabes racing between lights
>>
>>14547589
What kind of a difference was there between when you began your mods and when they were finished?

Just how hard can you take corners now before you approach the limit?

Also i was talking 500hp, not KW (kw would be excessive haha).
>>
>>14547600
Stock when i bought it, but like i said they're pretty decent from factory. Turning circle improved the most funnily enough. It's no go cart but it's more responsive then anything else I've driven, light steering as well. Can go through the city with 2 finger driving.
I can go through adelaide hills fairly hard, average about 75-80 through most corners fastest I've taken a corner was about 95 but that was long and wide with nothing to worry about hitting, but i kind of don't wanna find the limit if i can help it.
Yeah 500 hp would be streetable easily enough . Just get an organic clutch otherwise traffic will make you wanna kill yourself
>>
>>14547643
What kind of speeds were these corners "advised" to be taken at?
>>
Lol kid your na supra doesn't outperform a sti ss or f6. It's impossible.
>>
>>14547687
Who the fuck said NA
>>
>>14547709
Even turbo still no chance
>>
>>14547720
STI would lose in a straight line to the supra's power, assuming it runs good tyres.

Commodores cannot fucking turn so don't even suggest it could outmaneuver anything.
>>
>>14547727
Yet the sti makes more power than the supra, and isn't as pigfat
Commodore can for sure turn with decent tires and a competent driver

Supra is a fat slow barge with an engine only good for peak numbers
>>
>>14547736
Wrong.

People throw giant turbos on them for big numbers, but if you go for a setup around 600 you can get great responsiveness and put the power down very easily.

The supra weighs 1400 and people have aggressively taken it down to 1100 before. It's quite capable.

Not the best, but it's god damn better in a straight line than a STI and better on corners than a commodore.

Try switching the 2 and then they would win.
>>
>>14547736
>Commodores can turn

My fucking sides
>>
File: wannaracefromarollbruh.jpg (22 KB, 380x199) Image search: [Google]
wannaracefromarollbruh.jpg
22 KB, 380x199
>>14547294
>are they more than a muscle car to go fast in a straight line?
No, not on the cheap. If you want good power out of the 2JZ, you'll get rubo lag. The chassis is pigfat compared to other 90's jap sportscars. The 2JZ is heavy (iron block), and makes the car quite front heavy.

Chassis is quite rigid though, and yes, you could get quite a way with tires and suspension, but it won't get close to say an FD RX-7 (lightweight) or a Lancer Evo (AWD) on the track. Also, keep in mind they're ricetaxed to hell. Thanks, FnF.

>>14547436
Traction is just a matter of cutting up your chassis and slapping in a Ford 9'' and a 4 link. Problem the Supra's have with quarter mile dragracing is that their power curve isn't optimal.
On the other hand, you can scare the shit out of most passengers with a decent 600hp setup on the stock block. Just don't expect dragracing heroics.
>>
>>14547787
You just need to put a second V8 in the back for better weight distribution.
>>
>>14547781
> weighs 1400
For an absolute base model possibly, but that's a stretch
Loaded Turbo is 1600kg. Not much light her than a vz ss
>>
>>14547675
Posted speed were 35kms
>>14547687
>'96, twin ball bearing turbos running 7 and 12 psi with boost by gear 220rwkw on conservative tune.
>ss weighs near enough 1700kg
>Sti weighs the same and only puts down 185awkw, launches well but only up to 60
>how did you get fpv f6 when it's just an xr6 turbo?
>>14547720
Don't care about dyno queening. Stuck with the twins, although reconditioned. Want usable power, not waiting until 4500rpm for a turbo
>>14547736
His is a stock sti, bought it 4 months ago
Yeah supra is heavy, but it's a gt car it's not meant to be a track monster like an fd or something, but you cant call it pig fat when comparing it to a commie.
>>14547839
Mine comes in at 1420kg with my set up with the alloy bonnet and boot i mentioned earlier
>>
>>14547787
What is Rhys Millen's drift Pontiac GTO?

Seemed like a rebadged commodore to me.
>>
>>14547997
Big difference between a purpose built drift car and a factory spec pretend monaro mate
>>
what do you guy have to say about 89 supra?
>>
>>14548033
>sexy
>1J
What's not to love
>>
>>14547981
That's pretty good, what about wide corners (not tight twisties).

Can you corner at 180 on nice wide corners without feeling slip?
>>
>>14548033
My friend got one for a first car, and we did some quick drug runs in it (I know)

I was amazed how fast it cornered compared to most cars, straight line was slow, and the manual was long throw

not a terrible car though, it has its hints of toyota brilliance, and looks nice
>>
The supra is actually pretty amazing, skidpad results put it at 0.95G.

There's better, but it's up there.

The only problem is it's pretty shitty stock and to make it amazing as fuck (like smokey nagata's supra for example) you will be spending upwards of 100 grand.

It...has potential i guess.
>>
>>14548071
What the fuck is "shitty stock" to you?

No one had problems with it when it came out.
>>
>>14548040
wrong, 1jz was for '90+ on Japanese models, Unless it's swapped.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.