[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Travelling to Europe and was looking at car rental prices.. Manuals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: 1140513881241556909.jpg (38 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
1140513881241556909.jpg
38 KB, 800x531
Travelling to Europe and was looking at car rental prices.. Manuals were heck of a lot more cheaper. Didn't know how to ride manuals (only experience was with motorcycles).

Had my first lesson today. Holy shit. It was amazing. Next car I buy will for sure be a manual.

One question though.. when coming to 4 way stop, the instructor had me slow down, near 1K RPMS, disengage clutch, put in first, break to a full stop, then go.

Is this correct? I thought you would put the car in neutral, then when stopped, shift to first then go..

Does it matter? Which is better for the clutch? (i.e. less wear and tear)

Thanks lads
>>
>>14543892
for a beginner it's okay I guess but you're really supposed to downshift into 2nd unless you're driving a car with a carbureted engine
>>
>>14544225
You mean he had you keep the clutch depressed while stopped in first gear? Either way is fine, might be a little bit more wear on the throw out baring but not much.
>>
>>14544249
Yeah exactly. Okay good to know, thanks!
>>
>>14544225
You will notice over time that first gear synchro will get tired. It is a lot safer to always be in gear since 1st gear can get tired with mileage. I think its a law somewhere if you are in a collision and you were not in a gear, you will get in shit.
>>
>>14544292
oh yeah just to throw this out. congrats on the fact you cowboyed up and grabbed some gears.
>>
File: 1449712798510.jpg (25 KB, 341x339) Image search: [Google]
1449712798510.jpg
25 KB, 341x339
>>14544225
>he doesn't rolling stop 24/7
>>
>>14544225
When I'm braking to a stop I always downshift to engine brake and when I'm really close to the car/intersection/lights I engage the clutch and put it in first.
Sometimes I don't even engine brake, just depress the clutch and put it in first while I'm braking to a halt.
I only put it in neutral when my legs are tired.
>>
>>14544307
Not him but here if you're in a collision and you were in neutral you're considered to have not been in control of your vehicle and are automatically at fault.
>>
>>14546251
How could they ever possibly prove this?
>>
>>14544225

>One question though.. when coming to 4 way stop, the instructor had me slow down, near 1K RPMS, disengage clutch, put in first, break to a full stop, then go.

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly. If you went to a full stop with you engine engaged wouldn't you kill the engine?

And how low of a gear should I be shifting to when stopping? My usual procedure is to keep it in the gear I was till i go down to about 1500rpm, then neutral and coast.
>>
>>14544225

never put the car into neutral while in motion, you change down when slowing because the engine acts as an additional brake and means you are in an appropriate gear to move off if traffic moves or lights change or you need to avoid an accident
>>
>>14546369

because accidents will often fuck up trannys and shift linkages and make it impossible to change out of the gear that it occurred in
>>
>>14547779

kill? you would only stall, and it easy to tell when you about to stall because the engine starts bucking a little bit, and you just depress the clutch instead
>>
>>14547832
i don't know what the difference is between kill and stall

so you're supposed to shift down in sequence till you hit first and come to the stop up to the nanosecond when you feel the engine buck, clutch and shift into neutral?
>>
>>14544225
>Does it matter?
No
>Which is better for the clutch? (i.e. less wear and tear)
Makes fuck all difference
>>
>>14547850

something like that, that is how it used to be taught for tests here in the UK way back, but you don't really have to shift down sequentially, if I am in 5th or 6th I will brake then clutch, gas and downshift to 3rd, if i'm in 4th/3rd i will go to 2nd then brake clutch in and either neutral or first.

Just never coast in neutral, coasting with the clutch in in gear is bad too, but slightly better than neutral .
>>
>>14548041
coasting is only bad if you're cornering while coasting cus you dont have any control. If you're like coming or rolling into a parking space or something, going relatively slowly coasting is okay ( with clutch in ofc, not in neutral).
Sometimes on highway when I know my turn is coming up ill throw it into neutral and coast until the turn - t.hypermiler
>>
>>14548041
huh. it's odd to me that you'd regularly make the engine buck. it feels like one of those things that would hurt your car if you did it all the time. doesn't feel graceful either.
>>
coasting = the car going forward, in gear or not, and you're not hitting the gas

why is everyone saying you're not supposed to coast?
>>
>>14547820
>because accidents will often fuck up trannys and shift linkages and make it impossible to change out of the gear that it occurred in

You're literally talking out of your ass. The only way a car crash is going to fuck up a shift linkage is if you get fucking destroyed. And I mean car crash so bad that you're going to wake up in the hospital.
>>
>>14548091
eta: specifically while in gear? why would i hit the gas if i'm going down a humongous hill?
>>
>>14544225
That's because automatics are for disabled people in europe.
You want one of those rare pieces of shit, you've gotta pay. It's also a tax on idiot americans.

And it doesn't matter which way you do it. The clutch is going to last >10 years either way, at least for european cars. In fact, a car's lifespan is pretty much determined by the clutch. When the clutch wears out, the car's nearly worthless anyway.
For american cars, it won't make a difference because 'nobody drives a manual' and they use shit materials for it.
>>
>>14548093

Hey guy, just letting you know that car accidents frequently result in people either a) dying or b) going to hospital. No need to thank me.
>>
File: fR1ktlaOg74.jpg (28 KB, 558x564) Image search: [Google]
fR1ktlaOg74.jpg
28 KB, 558x564
MFW Americans can get a license not knowing how to drive a manual
>>
>>14548144
We're not poor, so we don't need to.
>>
>>14548292
cool story bro
>>
>>14548144
So can Europeans, but at least they're only allowed to drive autotragics afterwards. The problem is that Americans are allowed to drive very nearly anything after piloting their mom's automatic Ford Focus around the block without crashing, including 70 ft long 26,000 lbs manual tow combinations.
>>
>>14547779

>If you went to a full stop with you engine engaged wouldn't you kill the engine?

Once RPMs go low enough, shift to 1st and hold in cluth until full stop then go.
>>
>>14546251
I've heard this before, but doesn't this apply more to commercial trucks? If you're at a stop light, in neutral, and you get rear ended, could they really hold this against you, let alone prove it?

Really it just seems like a good way to wear out your throwout bearings, holding the clutch down at every stoplight. However, I hear about so many ways to wear out the mechanics of a manual, and no one ever compares them. Will I regret wearing out my throwout bearings? Will I be more likely to regret wearing out my transmission/clutch or brakes? Which one would wear out first if I engine braked all the time versus using my regular brakes?
>>
File: 1261547422253a.png (2 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1261547422253a.png
2 MB, 2000x2000
>drive automatic
>don't have to put up with all this stupid bullshit
>mfw
>>
>>14549803
Driving an auto after getting used to manuals:
>Why the fuck did you shift no
>putting your left foot to the floor even though there's no pedal
>grab the shift lever, remember that it does nothing
>want to downshi-oh wait
>>
>>14549461
i thought you weren't supposed to keep the clutch held in cuz it's bad for something
>>
>>14546251
hahaha no
>person behind you not paying attention as you come to stop
>slam into you full force as you were braking in neutral
>wake up in hospital to officer standing over you
>YOUR FAULT LOL U WERE IN NEW-TRAIL, WE SAW THE SHIFTER BUDDY

This is not how any-fucking-thing works. MAYBE you would get a citation, but that doesn't some how invalidate the other person's liability. Do you think that an accident wouldn't be your fault still if you ran a light and hit someone who was legally over the limit and received a DUI? Would you magically be absolved of responsibility?

You're a fucking retard basically.
>>
>>14550361
Idk. I've been told holding it in wears out the bearings, I've been told engine braking wears out the transmission/clutch, I've been told riding in neutral is bad for... other reasons. It seems like anything short of leaving the car parked in a garage will wear something out, but really that's how the car is designed. It would be nice to know the best way to improve the longevity of the car overall, or maybe you're just supposed to select which parts of the car you wamt to wear out first.

>know how to engine brake
>only do so if I anticipate needing to accelerate afterward
>otherwise just use regular brakes and shift to neutral before the engine dies
>>
>>14550416
why so angry man?
>>
>>14550474
isn't there an official "how to drive your manual transmission car", by the engineers who designed your car

i feel i'm hearing a bunch of shit people are pulling out of their asses here, and i want to drive my car correctly.
>>
>>14550481
I'm not. That shit is just so absurd it deserves to be chastised. That's the kind of retarded shit you hear about in high school. Right up there with fucking in a tree prevents pregnancy.
>>
>>14550501
No, there is 70+ years of Boomer lies and misinformation. Many misconceptions are a byproduct of people learning on older transmissions that lacked modern features like synchros. The other half of voodoo and urban legends. A sliver are actually true and come from people who know what they are talking about, but good luck trying to filter through the shit to actually be able to identify them.
>>
>>14550501
Here is what you do.

Don't hold the clutch in constantly. Take it out of gear at lights. You'll wear out the throw out bearing and pressure plate.

Don't keep your foot on the clutch, put it on the dead pedal to the left.

Don't bother doing the automatic creep with fagots in traffic. Sit there as the retards in front of you constantly creep forward to close the gap at a light.

Going along with above, don't ride the clutch in general by excessively slipping it. If you're stuck in traffic, don't move until the vehicle infront of you has cleared some distance. People in automatics do this because they start moving as soon as they disengage the brakes. It's silly and it leads to a never ending stream of traffic moving 2 feet then stopping, moving 2 feet then stopping, etc. You will wear your clutch out because until it's full engage to the fly wheel, it's causing friction and heat from brushing the surface of it constantly.

Rev match on downshifts. You'll learn how to properly downshift as you get better with the vehicle.

Rev match on upshifts, i.e. when up shifting, don't smash it into gear then instantly release the gear allowing the engine to violently slow down to match the new speed. Smoothly push it in gear. As the tach falls, let the clutch out and catch it at the right speed. If it falls too fast you can lightly apply the throttle to control it.

Change your transmission fluid as the manufacturer recommends.
>>
>>14550692
This guy right here.

Most of it comes with habit.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.