[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bought the first car in my life and it has a few issues. >2003
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1
Bought the first car in my life and it has a few issues.
>2003 Honda Civic Hybrid
>168,500~ miles.
It was owned by a woman that took no care of it. First off, I probably shouldn't have bought it, but I'm beyond that now.

The IMA and engine lights are on. I've taken it to a couple different shops and they've all told me, "Well, looks like you need a new IMA battery which is going to run you no less than $2,500."

I've been doing some research and it seems possible that my issues might not be quite that expensive. In fact I might be able to solve this whole mess with a $6 part. The AC compressor relay #R6242.
How that's related, I'm not sure, but other owners seem to have had luck with that.

I intend to start there because, hell, that's the easiest and cheapest place to start.
Assuming that fails (and it seems it likely will) and I need to go the IMA route what do you think my best bet is?
Rebuilding it seems the cheapest way to go. I don't have $2,500 to spend on a battery. I paid $1,800 for the whole car.

Has anyone else dealt with this?
>>
IMA batteries can be rebuilt by the user if you take some precautions against electrocution.

the batteries Honda uses look lie D cells and they are welded together into sticks.

You can pull the battery pack out and then test each stick with a multi meter. replacing bad sticks with either salvage sticks or individual new ones.
>>
>>14544071
desu bro /o/ is the last place you want to ask actual mechanical/advice questions
>>
Why would you buy a 13 year old hybrid
>>
>>14544077
This is what I've learned too.
Seems relatively easy, but time consuming. Do you think that's my best route?
>>
>>14544095
You know, I don't have a very good answer for you.
>>
>>14544071
You can get a battery from hondautomotiveparts for $1317 plus shipping. I'd take it to the honda dealer to see exactly what it needs.
>>
>>14544163
Still pretty dang pricey, but taking it to the dealer is a good idea.
>>
>>14544221
you know what' more expensive than taking it to the dealer? unnecessarily changing parts.
>>
>>14544316
And I agreed that taking it to a dealer is a good idea.
>>
just go to the junk yard and get new cells. its just 20 long sticks of d batteries. easy to swap yourself
>>
>>14544071
>buying a Hybrid from 2003
Lol
>>
>>14544430
So should I just try and resell it and put $0 into it?
>>
>>14544071
junk that garbage and buy a real car, or pawn it on the first sucker that makes you a offer.
>>
>>14544469
That's what I'm thinking might be my best bet.
Gotta wait for the title now.
>>
>>14544071
Dude I'm so sorry my first car was doa but I "fixed it" with some blue devil and drove it for almost a year

I suggest taking it to your local dealer for a diagnostic ($50) and if it's a simple fix so it if not sell it you can easily get 2k for it from a Honda boy racer

Right now on my lot is a loaded 2003 maxima with 120k for 2999.00 and were willing to sell for 2000 I can't believe Craigslist and private seller prices man just know there's plenty of hope for you
>>
>>14544706
Will that $50 at the dealer show up anything the other auto shops didn't see?
>>
>>14544757
Computer diagnostics
Ability to test battery
Part invoice cost
Dealers are less likely to fuck you on what's wrong becuase they already have your 50$ and it's a law suit of they fuck you
>based master techs
>>
>>14544808
Alright.
Worth the $50, I guess. I should have got some mid 80's thing. This whole plugging a computer into the car to see wtf is wrong irks me. I'd prefer to be able to look under a hood, see a simple engine, and go, "Oh, it needs X and B.
>>
>>14544839
Welcome to hybrids my xterras vg33e is simple as fuck when it comes to repairs mantince and diagnostic fuck Subaru and hondas crazy bs
>>
>>14544988
I'd been eyeing mid 80's and real early 90's (like 90-92) Jeep's. Should have done that.

How easy do you think it'll be to sell this thing to some 'Honda kid'? Even with the IMA shit.
>>
>>14545070
>2003 civic 2500_firm I know what I got

Then accept the first 2000 offer you get

Hate to shill but old frontiers patthys and xterras are solid easy to fix cars
>>
>>14545093
Alright, I'll feel kindy shitty but... welp, It's gotta be done.
>>
>>14545097
Just learn from your mistake and move on bro

Used car check list

Not hybrid

Not rusted

Brown motor oil

Red transmission fluid

Shifts good

Sounds good

Isnt expensive to insure

Isn't super obscure

Not way under or over kbb
>>
>>14545134
Yeah, good shit.
Any idea how hard or much of a pain it is to swap ins over to a different car? I have Gieco.
>>
>>14545184
Should just be a call mabey a months payment after the car is switched over that's how it's always been for me

Strange question but age and insurance cost?
>>
>>14545234
$450 or something, for 6mo
>>
>>14545235
Fuck you xD 20 and work at a dealership

230 a month
>>
>>14545097
Don't be a fucking pussy. Fix it and enjoy your 40+ mpg.
>>
>>14544071
>How that's related, I'm not sure, but other owners seem to have had luck with that.
Oh god.

Don't just replace things. See if they're actually broken.
>>
Also don't listen to this Xterra retard.
>>
>>14545257
I'm 20 and do carpentry

$520 for 3 cars for 6 months
>>
>>14544071
>hybrid

kek m8
>>
>all these people suggesting op to fix the hybrid battery himself
>he can't even handle buying a car

Sorry op, dont mean to be a dick but its the truth. Sell that thing ASAP and buy a better car.
>>
>>14545134
>tfw trying to get a new car
>all those check out except
>isn't expensive to insure
>Saab
>isn't super obscure
>Saab

I might be in over my head here.
>>
>2003 civic hybrid
>their standard models already got 40mpg and have no issues
wew laddie
>>
>>14544071
>was looking for my first car,
>spent a week looking
>found a 2001 sentra se for 2800
>pet hair, dirty, cig ashe everywhere, smoked out headliner, rust on hood from scraping
>dad says its got a spoiler and alloy rims!
>haggle and buy for 2k cause tired of looking
>evap canister crap, had to go to scraps for another one to pass emissions
>drivers door hinge loose, have to lift door to close
>drivers front window motor dies on highway when it starts raining heavily
>then front passenger weeks after
>brakes screech heavily, buys pads to do it myself
>jack handles missing had to use parents car jack instead
>starter motor dies after a long day at work, leaves me stranded
>week after battery dies, good thing i bought cables.

jeeze...still happy to have a car tho. freedom.
>>
So I think I might have found the issue....

Serpentine belt wasn't even connected. At all. Just hanging loose in there. Fuck, I hope it's as simple as that.
>>
>>14548662
I pay 113 a month insurance for my 2009 Saab and I have two speeding tickets, 20 years old. I don't speed anymore, shits expensive and not at all time saving, don't know what the fuck I was thinking man.
>>
>>14545093
>2003 civic 2500_firm I know what I got
Anon meet POWERBOATDAD!
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/5456872274.html
>>
>>14549817
Is that just liability?
>>
>>14550073
WHAT A CLEAN COOL CAR
I SURE WOULD LIKE
THAT KIND OF A CAR FOR MY SON SO HE CAN GET AROUND ON HIS
OWN
>>
>>14550076
yeah but it's the good shit 100/75/100, well enough for me at least I try to drive carefully and I have a nice dashcam in case someone tries to fuck me over
>>
>>14549521
You suck at trolling and should feel bad
>>
>>14550295
That's not good. I'll need full coverage here. Maybe it might not be a good idea. But damn it looks sexy.
>>
>>14550489
I wish I was. I am quite serious.
What's real pathetic is that neither of the shops I took it to saw this.
>>
>>14544071
>>2003 Honda Civic Hybrid
>>168,500~ miles.
>It was owned by a woman that took no care of it.

M8 just get the bus
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.