[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Don't blame the drunk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 670x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 670x380
A big court case is just wrapping up here in Canada.

A drunk guy driving a Jeep grand Cherokee Tbones a dodge caravan and kills 3 little kids and a old man.
apparently he hit the van while doing 80kph or 49mph. I can't help but feel that nobody should have died in this crash had they only been driving a safer vehicle. Are dodge caravans really such shitty cheap cars that they can't protect the occupants in this sort of crash?

When I was 17 I was in a volvo xc90 that got Tboned by a tractor trailer in a simaler scenario. The trucks breaks failed and hit us going about 65mph... both me and my dad were able to walk away from the crash without a scratch. How is it that some new cars are seemingly invincible and others are about as effective as a cardboard box in a crash?
>>
>don't blame the drunk
What

Anyway volvos are magic, other vehicles are not
>>
>>14528266
Yeah this poor guy is going to get like 20 years in prison for this... had they been in a better car and nobody was killed it would have only been like 2-5 years.

It's not his fault this family didn't value safety.
>>
>>14528282
>It's not his fault this family didn't value safety.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>14528266
Apperently Volvo said nobody will die in a Volvo by 2018.

>t. James May's Cars of the People
>>
>>14528282
20 years is a pretty good sentence for driving drunk with kids IMO.
>>
>>14528282
>>14528253
As fucked up and wrong all of this is, OP does make a good point. Drunk dude is getting screwed over because the family wasn't driving a Volvo God Machine™
>>
>>14528282

lol. the 'poor' guy.
>>
>>14528282
>guy is going to get 20 years for drunk driving like a jackass, probably over speed limit judging by the look of the crossroad
Can't see anything wrong with that.
>>
File: image.jpg (248 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
248 KB, 960x540
>>14528306
No sorry I must have been to confusing

The drunk guy was driving a Jeep and hit another car that was a dodge caravan that had the 3 kids in it
>>
poor guy is only a multimillionaire who could have chartered a fucking helicopter to drive him home from the airport
>>
>>14528331
Oh, I kinda skimmed through the OP.
Nevertheless, sentencing people according to the amount of victims, and not their actions, is the standart.
>>
>>14528334
still it's pretty annoying to have to come back the next day to get your car that you left at the airport.

I get that drunk driving is bad but there is a time and a place for everything.
>>
>>14528360
whatever, i hope you never know what it feels like for your whole family to be wiped out
>>
>>14528360
No there isn't, literally kill yourself before your stupid ass kills someone else.
>>
lel, wanted to check safety ratings
according to NHTSA both are perfect cars
according the Euro NCAP the jeep could be better and the grand caravan wasn't even tested
>>
>>14528371
> that feeling when ur the dad and you were too cheap to spend more than 18k on a van that your little children will spend an hour of each day In.

> had you not been so cheap and bought a safer car your babies wouldn't have died in a car crash

> you could have bought anything but a caravan
>>
>>14528360
holy shit
if youre actually serious then go drive drunk off a cliff
>>
>>14528383
I'm not even sure if Dodges are available in most of Europe outside of the grey market.
I've never even seen one in my life.
>>
>>14528395
there is some official stores, but they are rare since no demand
the older grand caravan models where somewhat popular though, atleast in south west germany
no sending your car to NCAP pretty much tells you everything you need to know about a car though
>>
>>14528388
>guy gets drunk
>drunk enough to get into an accident that dumb
>so he most certainly was aware of how drunk he was
>and in a pretty big car nonetheless
>"It's the dad's fauld for not buying a tank!"
God fucking damit anon.
>>
>>14528391
I'm not serious, I was just saying that this is basically the drunk drivers logic in that situation and probably what he was thinking at the time.
>>
>>14528409
I remember reading about them in a general magazine years ago now that I think of it. I think the prices were pretty high too, probably due to import, so that would explain too.
>>
Yeah, Man right on. I was just trying to rob a liquor store and I wouldn't have even gone to jail if I hadn't gotten caught but then that Korean motherfucker had to get lippy now I'm doing life for murder 1. Fuck him. He even had security cameras. It's entirely his fault.
>>
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 620x349
>>14528411
After seeing this story would you tell me that you would be willing to go and buy a dodge caravan ?
>>
File: falling for b81.gif (14 KB, 450x429) Image search: [Google]
falling for b81.gif
14 KB, 450x429
>this whole thread
>>
>>14528253
It's how the frame of the car is put together.

Dodge minivans are unibody and lack a dedicated frame where as your Volvo had a dedicated frame.

T boning the cab hits where there is the least amount of protective measures. Side curtain airbags can only take up so much energy.

On top of that, whiplash may have been what actually did the kids in not the drunkards car hitting their bodies.
>>
>>14528331
That kind of damage at 50mph? Wtf Chrysler??
>>
>>14528446
After seeing this story, I am confirmed in my already established beliefe that if you get hit on the side, the most fragile part of your car, by two tons of steel coming at you at 80 km/h, you'd be pretty lucky to survive anyway.
>>
>>14528464
so the little kids baby seats are to blame for the deaths?
>>
>>14528490
Yes. These and the road that should have been better maintained so that both cars would have braked better.
Literally none of he drivers were at fault.
>>
File: nfl.jpg (104 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
nfl.jpg
104 KB, 501x585
>>14528253
>How is it that some new cars are seemingly invincible and others are about as effective as a cardboard box in a crash?
>>
>>14528504
but anon why can cars that aren't safe even be sold? like why did I walk away from a crash that was worse but these kids died in something with less energy.
>>
>>14528534
>Yes, buy newer, more expenssive and safer cars you silly goyims! Do you want to die in horrible low energy accidents at 30 mph?
>>
>>14528502
can't tell if ur seriously or not.

I think that it's like 60% drivers fault, 35% dodge / car seats fault and %5 roads
>>
>>14528534
It's cheaper to make a car that doesn't hold up in a crash
>>
>>14528534

Cheaper parts = lower production costs = higher profits = happy shareholders
>>
>>14528542
so I need to thank the Jews elves of Sweden for saving my life?
>>
>>14528571
Thank your €75000+ car with all kinds of modern safety features.
>>
>>14528388
>you were too cheap to spend more than 18k on a van
Or, you know,he doesn't have much more to spend because he already has three kids to feed.
Not everyone in the world is a 4chan browsing autist spending all his money on his hobbies and on anime figures while eating junk.
>>
>>14528282
It is his fault for driving drunk and causing an accident
>>
>>14528624
maybe if you can't afford three kids you shouldn't have them.
I guess natural selection handled that here.

everyone should just shut up and buy expensive SUVs

I'm going to hell
>>
>>14528661
>natural selection kills people who reproduces and lets the guy who kills himself slowly by driving while drunk and overall being an overall irresponsible ass live.
ok
>>
File: 1446871344588.png (342 KB, 482x458) Image search: [Google]
1446871344588.png
342 KB, 482x458
>>14528253

Just realized this:
>Chrysler vs Chrysler

Fucking pieces of shit.
>>
>>14528476
Look at the actual passenger compartment. I'd bet all of the doors still open. That's good.
>>
>>14528282
And if he wasn't drunk, there would have been no accident in the first place, so he deserves his 20 years in prison.
>>
>>14528464
>Volvo had a dedicated frame
The XC90 is unibody too~
Just because it's an SUV doesn't mean it's body-on-frame~
You fucking faggot~
>>
>>14528331
>brembos
>still couldnt stop

why
>>
>>14528731

Both Chrysler products, probably attracted to each other like magnets.
>>
>>14528476
>>14528331

that's actually really good. There is no deformity in the passenger compartment of the jeep. Which means the only force the occupants have to deal with is the g force throwing them into their air bags. As opposed to the body of the car caving in on them.

The Dodge however, was hit from the side, which has way less structural rigidity. Vans aren't as safe as other cars when it comes to side impacts because the gaps between the pillars are so large. There's a lot of space for intrusion In general side impacts will cause more deformity in a car as whole, than frontal impacts.

Moral of the story, vans carry a lot - but they suck. The occupants in the van would've faired much better in an SUV.
>>
>>14528731
Too much fat for the poor Italian brake
>>
>>14528534
They have to pass a safety standard.

>like why did I walk away from a crash that was worse but these kids died in something with less energy.
Because accidents don't happen in the same way. You got lucky, they didn't.
>>
>>14528253
doubt he was going 65 mph. Not even a Volvo could protect from a hit like that.

This semi wasn't even going that fast and completely obliterated this Nissan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78VUliiKbkU

>inb4 Nissan < Volvo
yeah but the difference an in impact like this in small
>>
File: wtf.gif (1 MB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
wtf.gif
1 MB, 320x213
>>14528253
>don't blame the drunk
>>
>>14528253
Any more pics of the crash/bodies? News article?
>>
>>14528720
I had to take an guess because I was to lazy to check.

Then it goes down to where the vehicles made impact. Engine compartment or trunk, you stand a good chance of walking away. Passenger compartment, not so good of chances.
>>
>>14528504
Must be why they all drive Siennas.
>>
Op is scum and doesn't understand the real world. But who would expect him too when he's so stupid.
>>
File: probability of survival.jpg (188 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
probability of survival.jpg
188 KB, 1920x1080
all participants sober? traffic regulation assigns blame

participant is drunk ? imo he is 100% responsible for the crash. totally apropriate, even when he did nothing wrong in traffic. he decided to drive or rather didnt care about.

discussing which car is safer, discussing owner bought the wrong car, discussing everything but the real shit

but hey, lets ban all cars apart from enormous suvs
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.