[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Absolute Madman General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: ESP is gay.jpg (64 KB, 717x478) Image search: [Google]
ESP is gay.jpg
64 KB, 717x478
Do you daily drive with your ESP on or off? Is the ESP in your car a nanny state, or does it almost never step in till you fucked up big time?

For me, I only turn off ESP when deliberately trying to slide around, on hairpins for example. I don't really mind the safety net of having ESP kick in when you generate massive under/oversteer in rain at 80mph while driving like a faggot on a country road. But having it kill your throttle and apply the brakes when you kick the tail out at 20mph is both annoying and makes you look like a fag to onlookers who probably think you shit yourself.
>>
File: thumb.jpg (9 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
thumb.jpg
9 KB, 240x200
>having esp at all
>>
I suppose my ancient ASR will suffice

Normal driving I keep it on as I find the glowing triangle in my cluster to be annoying, and there isn't any chance of the rear starting to spin anyways unless some apocalyptic-level of bad traction was suddenly to happen

I'll turn it off when I'm on bad roads, going on steeper hills or doing sharp turns when its winter however. The system will fuck you over so hard in these conditions where you'd like to keep momentum and manoverability as it will cut power for a good second or even a bit more as soon as it notices the rear tires spinning, meaning that in winter it can be a hinderance
>>
Mine has 2 settings: On and Sport

Naturally I keep it in Sport mode always
>>
My car is special it has off, and especially off.
>>
File: 1393983499014.png (396 KB, 499x481) Image search: [Google]
1393983499014.png
396 KB, 499x481
>>14524234
>being too poor to afford a decent car made within the last 10 years
>>
I wish more cars had an ESP that could be turned off as easily as it is in GM cars. One press disables the traction control, and holding the button for a few seconds disables the stability control. I rarely ever turn it off, as I don't feel any desire to skid my Volt, but It would be a significant deciding factor in any sports car.

There's absolutely ridiculous disable methods like in the Jeep Wrangler, where the ignition must be switched on and off multiple times and the steering wheel needs to be rotated 180 degrees in both directions. The stability control can only be disabled in 4WD, so it's the only way to slide in RWD. I don't understand why so many automakers don't make it simpler.
>>
>>14524225
>turn off traction control in FWD, CVT Ford 500
>floor it in the rain and nothing happens
I would give anyone who can make that car spin the front tires $100.
>>
>>14524373
>snow/ice
>dump clutch/brake torque
>cut wheel all the way from a stop and floor it
>floor it in the rain on a steep hill
easiest $100 id ever make.
>>
>>14524373
>Drive 370z
>Wheelspin fucking constantly if you go above 20% throttle in rain

It's overrated
>>
>>14524225
>implying I have stability control
No abs, no traction control master race reporting in.
>>
>>14524408
And this is with TCS on.
>>
>>14524408
even glorious quattro cant save me in the rain bro.
>>
TOP GEAR'S JEREMY CLARKSON TOLD ME ESP OFF MEANS ESPECIALLY OFF FOR YOUR HEADLIGHTS
>>
>>14524373
Do you not have handbrake or parking brake?
>>
>>14524416
Then you have shit tires. I used to spin my 8 year old Michelin defenders all the time in the rain. Now I don't at all with my Eagle sport all seasons
>>
>>14524436
I bought some high-ish quality all seasons last year around this time. I really doubt it's the tires
>>
>>14524441
Which ones?
>>
>>14524452
Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3
>>
>>14524234
>tfw keep reading esp as psychic esp.
/x/ likely would keep it on just because it is the same acronym.
>>
File: 1454702954426.png (475 KB, 465x545) Image search: [Google]
1454702954426.png
475 KB, 465x545
>>14524225
I don't have it.
>1992 Four Cylinder Ranger (5-Speed manual).
That being said I can get wheelspin even when it's dry out, barely, but I can.

The second it gets even slightly damp however, I can't floor it unless I want to get a fuckton of wheelspin.

It's not like the car is fast either, even at best I can shift it so I get to 60 in about 13-15 seconds depending on conditions.

I replaced my tires 3 months ago no less, and even have some heavy bags of salt in the back end for weight along with two spares.
Still get plenty of spin.

I was able to drift pretty well on my old tires because they were so bald. I'd go through roundabouts at an angle. Shit was ridiculous.
>>
>>14524464
Idk then. Tire rack says they have great wet traction
>>
>>14524497
its probably because either his car is faster than yours or he is exaggerating. both are pretty likely.
>>
>>14524513
I was exaggerating a bit but there's definitely more wheelspin than there should be.
>>
>>14524516
its rwd m8. i spin my quattro in the rain with conti dws all seasons. thats life my dude. sucks till you die.
>>
>>14524373

My cobslt ss can spin the front tires so much in rain dry roads or snow
>>
>>14524225
The only driver aid I have is ABS.
It is also a 2WD Tacoma, so if I sneeze on my throttle I can go sideways thru roundabouts.
>>
File: 327.jpg (42 KB, 500x589) Image search: [Google]
327.jpg
42 KB, 500x589
>>14524225
There is literally no reason to turn this off on your DD in traffic. You bumbling fucks who think they're the next greatest dagumi tsuchiya need to learn that there's a time and a place for this shit, and its not on the interstate in fucking monsoon tier rain just before rush hour kicks in
>>
>>14524225
Yes, in case I'm at a stoplight and someone challenges me to a race
>>
File: 010101.jpg (23 KB, 666x360) Image search: [Google]
010101.jpg
23 KB, 666x360
>>14524654
what if a slammed out m3 rolls up behind you purging nitro and immediately drops it down and swaps lanes looking to blow by you. you gonna let that punk ass busta play you like that? in such a situation when your street cred is on the line you have a split second to react and prove yourself. i dont even shift out of park without flipping off my esp so ill be ready. will you?
>>
>>14524225
my FiST has regular mode, sport mode, and ESP off mode

i've had some fun with ESP off but i rather keep the car in sport mode when driving around other people just to be on the safe side
>>
>>14524225
I once spun tires with it on. Not turning it off too spooky
>>
>>14524225
If I don't have traction control, do I not have ESP? 2007 mazda 3 5 speed.
>>
>>14524830
In gonna assume you're referring to the DSC OFF button? 2006 Mazdaspeed6 here, same question.
>>
>>14524534
I dont think theres anything suck about your car being able to spin wheels
>>
>>14524225
My ESP is like a british nanny. One millisecond of fun equals five thousand times that on the naughty stool. But it's fucking slush season, that shit stays on atm.
>>
>>14525067
theres more to life than spinning wheels bro. and most of it sucks.
>>
>>14524373
>Friend stops by with a rental Ford 500 as I'm leaving the office
>Get in
>Turn off traction control
>Go to the big open lot in the back unplowed
>There is a single path plowed out and the rest of this lot has about 16 inches of powder from the night before
>Floor it and swing it sideways into the snow
>mfw forgot to close window
>car fills with snow
>spinning circles and throwing a cloud of snow all around

Ford 500 is alright

My Jetta tends not to freak out too badly unless I'm parked on a ton of ice. In the rain it's not a problem unless I decide to floor it and the tarbo kicks in (lel TFSI). Still better than my last car with no ABS.
>>
>>14524780
>he gets it
>>
>having ABS, ESC, or TC
Lol enjoy your no fun allowed zones that you call cars
>>
>>14525803
not that guy but they had a cvt and non cvt fwd one. I had a non cvt one for 6 months before selling to a coworker and it wasnt too bad. it had a super reliable all aluminum engine and 6 speed transmission.It was a 2007. It felt like my moms fwd escape a little bit too. I spun the tires in the dry before if i remember, it had like 220 hp and mine was brand new that i got from an old couple for 4k. That coworker moved back to new york with it and he is still rolling around getting 35 mpg while being comfy in a euro grandpa car.
>>
File: e38.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
e38.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>14526510
I have this now and its a 97 and still has traction control to stay relevant. But it also has adaptive suspension and steering and seating and auto windshield wipers and was just 2 advanced for its time
>>
>>14524830
>>14525054
My 2010 speed3 has TCS and DSC. Apparently you have to hold the DSC off button for a few seconds while the car is off, then continue to hold it while you turn the key. Instead of the normal DSC OFF light, there will be no warning light, but pressing the button won't do anything. This means you have disabled both DSC and TCS.
>>
>>14524551
Did you really just type that faggot, nobody fucking cares?
>>
>mfw no abs, tcs, or airbags
>so used to threshold braking to slow down quickly
>>
>>14524225
ESP and traction control on 99.9% of the time, because they're there for a reason. Along with the ABS and all the other alphabet soup driver aids lumped into the 'driver assist' option.

Most of the use it gets is stabilising my throttle inputs when starting off in the rain when I've got one wheel on a bit of white paint, or getting off muddy verges.
It's a FWD hatchback, it's not going to drift or oversteer. It just needs a help occasionally when cornering or starting off in the wet.

It very rarely kicks in, but that's because I learned to drive in cars that predated fucking ABS, let alone ESP and traction control in regular cars. My first car would understeer into things in the rain until I stomped on the brakes, so that influenced my habits.
>>
>having electronic cars
Kek
>>
2009 ranger.
I don't think I have any type of traction/stability control.
>>
I drive almost 2000 kilometers per month and had only one instance ever where my DSC actually had to step in and save me. Usually I know my grip limits on all surfaces pretty well.
>>
>>14524225
rwd dd no esp or stability control whataoever.
>>
Previous car had traction control. Made driving in the snow and ice difficult. So I turned it off in those conditions, Otherwise it was on. Current car only has ABS and no other driving aids.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.