[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
8k sedan fam?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
aaaalright

So im off to uni soon and will be commuting. Unfortunately though, I don't have a fucking car.

Ive been working my senior year, and have roughly 4k with my parents willing to match.

Anyway, Im not some boyracer, so I'm not looking for a coupe or some sports shitbox

I'm not crazy tall, I'm 6'2 and I need a car that isn't huge, but has decent leg room for when I'm driving.
also looking for good quality speakers/bass response

I want a sedan and I could care less about rwd/fwd, but if possible I'm looking for something with leather seating. Also I'm not looking for anything older than 2004.

sooo can i get some recs?
>>
Buy a cheap ek hatch
>>
Wat car iz gud.

Buy a fucking "insert cheap import" and be done with it. Do your own fucking research

/thread
>>
>>14522731
I've been trying, but "research" doesn't mean shit if I haven't even been around these cars, which is why I'm asking here because I'm sure most of you have had experience with different cars
>>
>>14522711
I'm not looking for a literal box of shit fyi
>>
Jesus Christ go test drive cars, take someone who knows something, anything this board can impart to you isn't going to, be worth a damn, be remembered, be understood, etc.
>>
>>14522791
I'm trying to help you savout money and and get a beater that will last you a few years
>>
Lexus IS
>>
>>14522811
Jesus Christ I wish I had time
>>
What uni are you headed to? I know of a couple commuter unis, I go to one, and parking sucks ass.

You need to keep in mind how much parking permits are, how much you'll be spending in gas, and how much financial aid is giving you.
The goal here is to not take out loans because fuck loans. If FA doesn't give you enough to pay tuition and the cost of owning and driving a car to uni or you cannot scrounge up the money needed for owning and driving a car then forget it. If you need to take out loans only take out the minimum you need to pay for the rest of tuition.

Now if you're actually smart and thought about these things already and determined that you will be able to own and drive a car back and forth, then disregard.

>good quality speakers/bass response
What are you, a 16 year old girl? Most 2004+ cars come with fairly good quality speakers, although if you want good bass response you'll want an aftermarket head unit with amp support and a sub.

>sedan for 8k
Literally anything out there senpai
>Honda Civic/Accord
>Any Toyota sedan
>Any Nissan sedan

>6'2"
That's a problem, but not too big of a problem. Most car seats move so you can move your seat all the way back on these cars and you should be okay.

Stop being a faggot.
>>
>>14522821
did you read my post? I have roughly $8000 to spend on a car. I'm not fucking piss poor, I'm looking for the best car in my interest that is within my budget, why does /o/ have such a hard on for shitboxes
>>
>>14522697
OP you're a lazy little shit but I'll help

> Acura TSX
> Acura TL
> $4k Crown Vic/MGM with money leftover for mods and a limited edition MLP fedora
> Subaru Legacy with money leftover for blueberry pancake e-liquid
> Honda Fit (inb4 not a sedan. Their backseat legroom is no joke)
> Chevy Impala LTZ with money leftover for 24" rims and a KFC Platinum Accountâ„¢
> Ford Fusion/Mercury Milano
> Lincoln MKZ
>>
>>14522886
I'm going to NJIT and I'm only paying half of the tuition due to scholarships

gas money isn't a problem, my parents are obviously making me pay for half my car but are willing to help me out with gas since we're not actually poor

yes I'm a 16 year old girl and audio quality tends to be pretty important to me

also sorry for being a faggot, apart from doing research I don't really have to to drive around and test drive a bunch of cars
>>
>>14522930
I'm not lazy I just don't have time to spend hours looking at recommendations and opinions, I figured this place would give me the "best" advice
>>
Youre calling every car a shitbox but you dont want anything older than 2004?

Id suggest mazda3 hatch or acura tl. Theyre both decent for 2004 cars. You can also look into the rx8 but those have reliability issues
>>
>>14522963
calling something a shitbox is subjective
>>
File: good_cheap_car_chart_2.0.jpg (3 MB, 3842x2920) Image search: [Google]
good_cheap_car_chart_2.0.jpg
3 MB, 3842x2920
S T I C K Y
T
I
C
K
Y
>>
>>14522939
Then your local craiglist special of any Honda, Acura, Toyota, or Nissan will fit the bill.
>>
Mid to late 00s Acura TL.

Good mileage, reliable, nice sound, and in price range you can find one with decent miles.
>>
Maybe a volvo s40 / s60. Very reliable and comfortable
>>
>>14522697
dont look for a good stereo in car. its literally the easiest upgrade to make. thats like buying a house based on the interior wall colors its so easily changed it shouldn't be a factor
>>
File: 1435798315296.png (1018 KB, 2285x1929) Image search: [Google]
1435798315296.png
1018 KB, 2285x1929
>>14522953
>I figured this place would give me the "best" advice

Where do you think you are?
>>
>>14523089
/o/ and not reddit where everyone keeps telling me to get a fucking mustang
>>
>>14522897
an $8000 eg hatch would be complete sex. if you can find one lol
>>
>>14523104
but /o/ is full of Ford shills that will tell you to get a fucking Mustang
>>
>>14522697
Nissan maxima is what you're looking for Normie scum
>>
>>14522930
OP listen to these suggestions.
desu if i had to go back to the start of uni i'd do this
> $4k Crown Vic/MGM with money leftover for mods and a limited edition MLP fedora

i bought a 87 fiero which was fun but 2 seats.

Also consider there is never any parking and it's always expensive as fuck. I actually started biking to school because it took 30 minutes to find parking.
>>
>>14522697

Honda accord

Toyota Camry

Lexus anything your shitty 8k can afford

BMW but will probably stink like cigarettes and be a piece of shit

>op thinks 8k is enough to get him a non shit car. You're not getting "good audio quality" and leather seats with 8k
>>
>>14523235
well now I am aware of this, thanks ayynon
>>
>>14522897
Are you that anon from a few threads back talking about his cousins having cars?

Either way, have fun spending every last cent on your car and having no money for taco bell and books.
>>
8k will buy you some pretty badass civics man...
>>
>>14522897
Why do you think shitboxes are still around and not old luxury cars?

Cheap to buy, cheap to fix.
Old ones tend to be fun also (eg 80-90s civics)
>>
>>14523341
no I am not that guy, also I have money set aside that isn't for my car

>>14523203
ty :)
>>
>>14522697
Nissan Maxima, Infiniti G35. Premium packages will have leather and Bose audio which isn't too shabby. Great engine and solid everything else.
>>
>>14523529
no highs, no lows, must be bose
>>
>>14523505
>front wheel drive
Oh lord
>>
>>14523544
just an example, cheap rwd sports cars are usually good too
>>
ignoring your stupid age restriction, you should be able to get a really nice 99-03 540i/6 speed with cash leftover for whatever pops up.

It's tall friendly, and basically one of the best cars built in the last 20 years.
>>
>>14523571
yea it was kind of stupid of me to put a limit on the age of the car, I was hoping for good audio but clearly there are more important things
>>
>>14523529
>VQ engine
>known for oil consumption

Pass, OP. I'll go with the age old saying,

Get a Civic and shut the fuck up.

Save your money for something better when you're a post-grad. Trust me, a car in college will get used well, if you live like a college kid. Doesn't mean you have to dog it, and treat it like shit, but wait until you have your own place and garage before you spend money on something better.
>>
>>14522697
> I could care less about rwd/fwd

given that you care about it, which is your preference?
>>
>>14523581
I guess what I sort of failed to mention was I've been driving about 2 years in my chevy impala and it's engine has gone to shit

I have literally people wanting to buy it for more than I bought it for which is hilarious too

so yeah, I'm generally looking for something a bit better than the impala
>>
>>14523586
>Look at me im a pedantic cunt

Quality post senpai
>>
>>14523571
great car, but he's not a "boyracer" so he probably doesn't want nor appreciates the 6-speed manual.

also bmw v8s are not cheap to maintain
>>
>>14523586
I realized my mistake when I posted hoping no one would notice :/
>>
>>14523579

Up until really recently, even the best high end factory audio systems were garbage. You can add aftermarket audio into whatever you buy.

You can't easily add more legroom or general NVH.
>>
>>14523614
too late, now you have to commit.
>>
>>14522697
Altima SER
>>
>>14523610
hey man, I have mad respect for cars and people that genuinely car about them and don't make stupid fucking mods i. e. stancings, lowering suspension, blacking everything out

I just don't really have time to care for an older bmw, nor the means really
>>
>>14523631
yeah, even if you did want one, 8k is not enough to buy and maintain a 540i/6. It's at least a 10k car so figure in whatever the difference from the sale price in fixing broken stuff, and probably more than 1k a year in maintenance.
>>
>>14522991
>SAAB 9-5
>Decent power
It's a lot more powerful than the Volvo and the interior is a lot better than any Volvo, especially better than the new ones that feels like cheap ass plastic crap.
>>
>>14523669
I was actually looking at this car, but the fact that parts and mechanics are so hard to find really puts me off
>>
>>14523684
Heh, parts are super easy to come buy if you don't live in a third world country.
>>
File: 04chev42955-1.jpg (21 KB, 641x226) Image search: [Google]
04chev42955-1.jpg
21 KB, 641x226
2004-2013 impala ss with s/c v6 or n/a v8
>>
>>14523222
I was planning on commuting to school with a car but
>insane traffic
>on campus parking pass is $300 a month or $15 per day
>finding parking near campus easily takes 15 to 30 minutes

Bus lanes are very based so during rush hour its faster than driving.

Now I just use my car for weekend shenanigans and grocery shopping.
>>
>>14522759
Go test drive some cars. No one can tell you what you want. Check craigslist and see if a dealership has any of the cars you want. I'm opposed to wasting people's time by doing so but who knows; you might find something you like there
>>
>>14523235
I paid 5k for my 04 accord, lots of miles but never gave me any issues. Highest trim package, only shit thing is auto tragic, but they made them with man pedal
>>
File: api-model-year-image.jpg (50 KB, 730x411) Image search: [Google]
api-model-year-image.jpg
50 KB, 730x411
>>14522697
just get this its about 6k
>>
File: image.png (705 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
705 KB, 640x1136
>>14522697
Since you posted a Saab, I'm going to recommend one. I bought my 2009 9-3 2.0T almost 7 months ago and I love it. Got it for exactly 8k from some chink who was going back to China. 35k miles.

I'm not as tall as you but damn this thing has room. Drivers seat can go way back and still leave a lot of room for back passengers. Roof space is good. Speakers are great too. Sound quality is clear and doesn't decrease even if I blast it. The factory unit has the usual music settings and te only thing I change sometimes is the bass and it sounds awesome when cranked up. I got the tan leather seats and in my opinion this car looks amazing. I particularly love the taillights and I think the front looks good and is not similar to any other cars (except maybe the Saturn front but come on Saturn looks like a turd). Turbo is responsive, I can tell there's a bit of lag but I've never owned a turbo car before so I have no complaints, first time I heard that TSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE I knew I had made a good choice.

I've gotten lots of compliments and have had no issues despite having put close to 15k miles on this baby already. Average MPG for me is 27, I get 30 on long freeway rides.
>>
>>14523235
Everything listed here >>14522930 has leather available (minus the Fit) and a decent sound system (minus the Fit) and can easy be found for $8k in the U.S.
>>
OP what do you look for in a sound system? Do you need Bluetooth/AUX/USB? Do you need a car with a built-in sub? Or a brand-name sound system (Bose, Rockford Fosgate, etc)?
>>
File: lol.jpg (63 KB, 624x471) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
63 KB, 624x471
>>14523982
One of the most beautiful cars of its time, esp the Sportcombi. They look best when lowered a bit like pic related
>>
>>14522697

3-5k Buick LeSabre if you take care of it, it will run for 250k, no sweat.
>>
2002 Lexus ES. ~80k miles. Do it.
>>
>>14524022
as much as I'd like bluetooth and aux to be available, it's not necessary, what I would love though is the actual quality of the speakers to be good.

friend has an '08 bmw and his audio blows me away everytime, actually in not sure if he had aftermarket subwoofers
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.