[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT - Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11
File: Tacoma.png (351 KB, 502x401) Image search: [Google]
Tacoma.png
351 KB, 502x401
Alrighty lads, I have a question that doesn't deserve its own thread.

Seriously thinking about getting a 2012-'14 Tacoma regular cab, but I hate the LCD head units that come on the '13 and '14 MY ones. Would it be possible to swap out the LCD head unit for an older 2012 head unit? The external dimensions look the same, but I'm not sure about the wiring.

Links to any helpful resources would be great, but I haven't found anything related to this issue.
>>
would i be a tool to pick a lancer over the focus?
>>
My cars an 84 and it's an automatic. It goes park, reverse, neutral, Automatic overdrive (D with a box around it), Drive (D), 1, 2

For normal operation should I use the Automatic Over drive or the normal drive?
>>
Get a Colorado faggot
>>
2003/4 NIssan 350Z Track or a 2004/5 Mazda 3 Speed? plan on getting one of these but which do you all prefer?
>>
>>14473172
mazda 3
>>
>>14472167
Wiring doesn't fucking matter for headunits, all head units are compatible with each other, may take some splicing and Wiring diagrams but any stereo place will do it not problem oh and also OP
>>14472692
he has good advice
>>
>>14472167
You'll lose bluetooth but otherwise I'm pretty sure it works.

>>14472692
Also ignore this fgt.
>>
does anyone know any problems with early to mid 90's ford tauruses? they are on craigslist for dirt cheap with around 130k miles. what should I look for?

>>14472624
it wouldn't be as wise.

>>14473172
depends. the 350z is a little harsh and bouncy, but you can rip some hekitk skids.
>>
When is the breaking point when it comes to calling it quits on a car and selling it/buying another car?
a friend of mine has a 2005 lancer oz rally that has an air leak somewhere in the car, 2 non-working windows, needs a battery, is due for a water pump/timing belt, and has had an issue where the car will go into panic mode and won't let the car start and sets the alarm off intermittently when putting the key in and turning the car. the car is just about at the 100k milestone.
It should also be noted that we live in an apartment complex where we cannot work in the parking lot and we have limited access to tools (some small wrenches, no jacks or anything of the sort though, no space)
tl;dr is a buildup of issues worth taking care of?
>>
File: 1430669277282.jpg (150 KB, 750x565) Image search: [Google]
1430669277282.jpg
150 KB, 750x565
Is "California Scents" or "Yankee Candle" good? Which scents are the worst in your opinion?

>INB4
>>
>>14476227
yankee candles smell like anus.
>>
>>14475836
They're cheap because Taurus transmissions are prone to dying at that exact mileage. Seriously. It's some of the most compelling evidence of planned obsolescence I've ever seen.
>>
>>14476303
really? how can you tell when they are letting go?
>>
I've got a '78 ford f-150. Truck is beat to shit and has been sitting in a barn for over 10 years. Engine was new when it got put in the barn and the frame and body are in good condition. How the hell do I fix this? Or a vehicle I can drop the engine into (it's a V8). Help please?
>>
>>14476623
what do you need to fix? also, us at CCG can help you out as well

>>14450301
>>
>>14476638
Basically everything. Carb was shit and the tranny was dying, which is why it got put in storage. Tires have deflated and pretty much all of the hoses have rotted. Interior is absolutely fucked and half the gauges don't work.

My biggest issue is I don't know what new parts would be compatible with a truck this old. Mainly I'm trying to salvage the engine as I have a soft spot for V8s. Fixing the truck would just be a bonus as we've had it since I as a kid.
>>
File: courierflatbed3.jpg (105 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
courierflatbed3.jpg
105 KB, 768x576
Is it possible to get a running truck for 1000$ anymore? I haven't bought a car in well over 6 years, and never looked at trucks. I don't care what year or make, except no Chevy and must have decent paint. Don't want to offend neighbors.
>>
So I've got a few holes in my exhaust. About the size of a small dried up raisin. Would exhaust paste be able to fix these holes, or do I need to cut and/or weld?
>>
>>14475924
Usually when it becomes more advantageous to just buy a new/used one, rather than fixing your old one.

Plenty of cars out there with minimal issues that are cheapish.
>>
>>14476533
Once they start slipping they die pretty quick. Just don't buy one unless the trans has been replaced or it has well under 100k.
>>
What's the best way to sell a car? I have a 2000 Volvo S40 that I want to sell but people don't exactly look through craigslist for those a lot. Is it worth it to pay for an ad on a website like Autotrader?
>>
>>14472167
Any second gen xterra bros help me
Out.. I got a 07 xterra and I'm looking for some steelies to mount my new tires on..

I do not have a lift kit and I have 16 inch rims. I like this style but wish it was in flat black not gloss... Any Bros recommend some steelies that will fit my xterra

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Series-98-Rock-Crawler-Gloss-Black-Monster-Mod-Wheel.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=535&t_pt=101508&t_pn=PCW98-6868
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (52 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
52 KB, 1280x720
I'm looking at getting a SUV (possibly a 2003 Santa Fe) within the next year. I really would like a sunroof. If I get the dealership to put it in, would that be worth while?

Would a front wheel drive, manual transmission vehicle, like the Santa Fe, be suitable as a weekend warrior car for car camping and exploring BC logging roads? I would be mostly highway driving so I don't necessarily want to get a X-terra or X-trail or 4Runner.
>>
File: image.jpg (276 KB, 1600x1211) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
276 KB, 1600x1211
>>14477229
>13 year old Hyundai
>dealer installed sunroof
>taking a fwd car on remote logging roads
Uh...sure m8 that all sounds perfect.
>>
File: 1459815065_fb6b494927_b.jpg (719 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1459815065_fb6b494927_b.jpg
719 KB, 1024x768
>>14477318
Haha, thanks. Great reaction pic 10/10.

Cost wise, I'm having a very difficult time finding a manual SUV under 10k that I would be able to sleep in the back of. (I'm 5'6".) I also want something that is decent on gas because I would be doing mostly highway driving. Off roading would be on the weekends in the spring-fall.

I'd really like a sunroof. The city car I have no has one and I use it all the time. I saw an XTrail with a moonroof and would love something like that, but it's gone and I haven't found another manual SUV with a sun/moon roof. I was told that I'd be paying twice to triple the gas than I do my '13 Rio5.

The logging roads aren't really that remote and would be really just glorified gravel road. I've hiked some and see people in cars (Mazda3 once trying to get over a washout). I would be going alone and would be cautious not to bite off more than I can chew as I really don't want to get stuck and have to pay for help.

If you don't recommend an older Santa Fe, what would you recommend under 10k? Please give me a few options as I'm looking at AutoTrader. It's mostly Jeeps (which I wouldn't be able to sleep in).
>>
File: 1418139574774.gif (2 MB, 158x158) Image search: [Google]
1418139574774.gif
2 MB, 158x158
Just need your $0.02, /o/.

I have a daily driver. She's running fine. But I want a second car to avoid the monotony of driving this auto DD throughout the day. Some weekend car.

Was considering importing from Japan. Can afford it, and would love to have something different.

>in b4 R32

I've thought about it, I can do it, but I was wondering what else you all would consider importing to the US for fun. Something with enough aftermarket and enough available parts for me to fix if something were to go wrong. Again, this would be a weekend fun car. Obviously manual.

Thanks!
>>
>>14477612
300zx twin turbo
>>
>>14472685
[D] Automatic Overdrive is normal, D is all forward gears with OD disabled. 1/2 can be determined by reading the manual, it is slightly different depending on Year and manufacturer, very important because you might not want to select those at speed unless you have an electronic trans.
>>
>>14477601
4runner any year you can find. The earlier the better.
>>
>>14477627
Thanks, have that down. Also thinking of an MR2. Love t-tops, think they'd be a great weekend addition.
>>
>>14477601
Are you absolutely set on an SUV or would you consider a pickup with a shell on the back? That would give you way more options Other than the 4runner and maybe the xterra I can't think of any manual SUVs that get half decent mpg and wouldn't be terrible to sleep in. So yeah, small pickup with a camper shell is my reccomendation.
>>
File: charlotte.jpg (37 KB, 545x200) Image search: [Google]
charlotte.jpg
37 KB, 545x200
>>14477635
I wish. 4Runners are really hard to find here because EVERYONE wants one. My ex and I shared an '88. She was amazing but got rust and eventually ended up in a blaze of glory.

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/4Runner/VANCOUVER/British+Columbia/19_9189212_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=70_100_71
^ That's my only current option. In the parking lot photo, it looks like it needs rear suspension redone. It also looks like it would go through a lot of gas.

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/4Runner/LITTLE+FORT/British+Columbia/19_9170609_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=59_100_71
^ 8hrs away and looks like the start of rust on the tailgate.

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Hyundai/Santa+Fe/Surrey/British+Columbia/5_23935109_20120516161729067/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=68_100_77
^ The Santa Fe I've been looking at. Has been on AutoTrade for quite a while.

>>14477672
The reason I'd like an SUV is because I'd like to sleep in the back. I'd be camping by myself and I'm a bit of a wuss and like knowing that if I get scared and need to leave, I don't have to get out of the back to get into the front to leave. I don't really want to have a camper because I wouldn't want the weight for my daily commute to work and back, groceries, etc.

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Dodge/Dakota/ABBOTSFORD/British+Columbia/19_9152084_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=28_100_68
^Unsure about the size. I like a smaller, compact vehicle. The Rio5 and the 4Runner were great sizes. I actually liked the 4Runner as I was up high so I could see the edge of the front which was good for me for trying to park.

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/Tacoma/QUALICUM+BEACH/British+Columbia/19_9192182_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=39_100_68
^Rust :(

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Chevrolet/S10+Pickup/REVELSTOKE/British+Columbia/19_9176557_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=52_100_68

Thank you for your help. It'll be my first time buying a car on my own and I want to make sure I'm going to get something as reliable as I can get.
>>
Which mustangs classify as the terminators? 03-04?
>>
File: 1433441393596.png (185 KB, 297x303) Image search: [Google]
1433441393596.png
185 KB, 297x303
I need to flush my coolant tomorrow, it can't wait another day. Unfortunately part of the procedure requires that you turn on the heater, but my blower motor is blown so I can't use it. Will I be fine without it?
>>
>>14479140
They tell you that so itll give a bit of breathing room to keep from overheating the car.

Just keep a watch on your temp gauge, and put the hvac controls on hot anyways.
>>
>>14473172
350z track. Faster, rwd, throw a turbo on it, engine reliable as fuck, handles better. Just more potential. But interior is garbage.
>>
>>14476813
No, least not in my area. mid east coast,
>>
>>14479140
What car?

Also, should be fine.
>>
I've noticed a buzzing sound coming from my car stereo when it's in AUX mode. It seems to be related to the amount of power being drawn from the battery: it's louder when the headlights are on and even louder when my phone is plugged in and charging. So I have a few questions for anyone who has experienced this.
>Is it the 3.5mm cord causing the problem? In other words, if I use a different/better cord will it go away? I'm going to try this first.
>If it isn't the cord, what is the problem and is there an inexpensive solution?
>>
>>14479257
2000 jeep wrangler 4.0 liter
>>
>>14479263
Electronics are a fickle thing m8, it could range anywhere from a bad earth connection, degraded radio shields on the head unit, the jack having a false contact, I doubt it's the cable because of the current draw/noise link.
Father used to have a truck with a big ass amp, and there would be a whine, no matter what audio input, that would increase its pitch with the engine's RPM. If I recall correctly, a capacitor got rid of that. They are sold for that purpose, to attenuate/eliminate ripples on a DC signal.
Look up a troubleshooting tutorial, but I'm almost sure that said capacitor should fix you.
Also, I'm assuming you are not talking about running the stereo on AUX without a sound source plugged in, as those, when left open, act as an antenna.
Rushed post from my phone.
>>
>>14479414
Last part, meant leaving the AUX cord plugged to the stereo input, but no audio source (phone, player) connected to said cord.
>>
Regular Cabs suck. My work truck is a reg. cab and I regret it everyday. An Extended cab or 4 door would be so much better. The Chevy reverse half doors are my absolute favorite.
>>
How do i transform my rwd Toyota shitbox into a 4x4?
Its a unibody.
Mostly doing for the lulz
>>
>>14476918
This problem exists on the early to mid 2000s model as well, Gf had a Sable that shit a transmission at ~110k
>>
I want a wrangler but not for any major offroading

I want it because:
short yet tall ride
6 cyl 4x4
removable everything, can take out back seats to fit whatever and haul around the rest behind it
even the latest models can be had with absolutely no power features

are these legitimate reasons that warrant a purchase?
>>
>>14479445
Yeah I gotcha. Actually the same was happening to mine earlier - the pitch increasing with the rpms. Seems inconsistent though. I went out and reversed the cord (the end that was in the phone went into the aux, and vice versa) and this mostly cancelled the noise. It came back at least once though, until I wiggled it a bit.
How did this capacitor hack work? Like where/to what was it connected?
>>
Why is there two threads?

>What's the cost to own and reliability on a 2007 BMW 328 xi? Is it a car that will randomly have some issue that's common among BMWs? Should I pursue this as a DD?
>>
File: jeep-wrangler.jpg (170 KB, 1280x782) Image search: [Google]
jeep-wrangler.jpg
170 KB, 1280x782
>>14479688
It's not a bad idea so long as you gun for the TJ generation which still have the legendary AMC 4.0. Wranglers have a massive aftermarket (probably the biggest in the US) to help you outfit it exactly for whatever you desire it to do. It's quite enjoyable with the top down, which will suit you if you just want to go for a pleasure drive and the solid front axle makes it crawl well off the beaten track.

Get used to cornering at 15-20 mph and the not so serious leaks (thermostat housing, rear main seal, etc Jeeps are leaky). I love how cheap and common parts are for it and the ease of working on it. It's been my favorite vehicle I've ever owned (but I have not owned that many). Get one.
>>
>>14480400
Not that guy, but what's good about the AMC 4.0?
>>
File: Scion iA.jpg (105 KB, 750x422) Image search: [Google]
Scion iA.jpg
105 KB, 750x422
I bought a Scion iA a few months ago. I like the car, but I'm not crazy about the front end. Does anyone know if I can put a front bumper and headlights from a newer Mazda 2 on there? Or at least, does anyone know of any aftermarket front bumpers/grilles for the iA?
>>
>>14480400
I'm interested in purchasing new
I'm also not so sure as to why people say it's slow, it's 0 to 60 is 6.6 and my current vehicle is 8.2
>>
>>14481583
In addition, is manual worth it? Makes a big difference in price
>>
>>14477732
Any takers?
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.