[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Clarkson Trolls Manual Drivers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 16
File: 423289868.jpg (125 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
423289868.jpg
125 KB, 1000x667
>“'WHY,' I wailed inwardly, 'would anyone ever buy a car with a manual gearbox these days?'"
>" It’s like saying: 'I don’t need a television with a remote control. I’m perfectly capable of walking over to it and changing the channel myself.'”
>"The only people who would buy an old-fashioned gearstick manual are the sort who choose not to have a washing machine because they prefer to clean their clothes in the local river."
>"More than 70% of Britain’s car drivers are mad."

http://www.sunmotors.co.uk/news/jeremy-clarkson-are-70-of-brit-drivers-mad-to-drive-manuals/
>>
Who?
>>
he's not wrong
>>
Okay.
>>
Why do people allow themselves to be trolled by him?
>>
>drive in snow
>automatic gearbox freaks out and has no idea what gear to be in
Nah.
>>
>valuing other peoples opinion when it comes to trivial shit
literally when?
>>
>But we don’t drive on racetracks or in the Atlas mountains
Trolling or not, hes right. I spend half my commute in medium-heavy traffic, and it pisses me off every time i leave half a car length in front of me everyone and their fucking dog takes that as an open invitation for me to shove the front of my car up their ass. Manuals are great when you can push them, but i rarely get above 2.5 k revs in second gear until i get off the freeway
>>
>>14469903
You can still select a specific gear with an automatic. The "1" "2" selection.
>>
>>14469903
>living in a place where it snows
pleb
>>
The bus riders' god has spoken.
>>
>>14469836
>even clarkson writes clickbait titles now
>>
File: bruh.jpg (324 KB, 1556x986) Image search: [Google]
bruh.jpg
324 KB, 1556x986
>>14469903
>Doesn't even know how to work an automatic
Confirmed for shit n00b driver.

Stay off the road. It's people like you who raise insurance rates for everybody else.
>>
>>14470062
>now

You are acting like this is a new thing. He's been writing crappy editorials for over 10 years now.
>>
For daily shit commuting drives, it's a hindrance. There is no benefit except muh feels. It makes no sense for a normie to use a manual. He's right.
>>
>" It’s like saying: 'I don’t need a television with a remote control. I’m perfectly capable of walking over to it and changing the channel myself.'”
Clarkson is such a hack I bet he's used this line before about something else
>>
>>14469836
He's right

Flappy paddle gayerbox master race
>>
>>14469933
>>14470172
Not all automatics let you choose first gear. Most wont fucking downshift if the RPM are too high, even when its in range.

I SEE THAT YOU ARE GOING 2MPH, NO I WONT SHIFT INTO FIRST UNLESS YOU COME TO A DEAD STOP

Whats that? You want L? Nope, I only offer 2.

fuck off
>>
Clarkson obviously doesn't realize the joy of dumping it and doing a hektik skid in your ex gf's driveway.

For regular street driving in a regular car however, I can understand his argument. Also all these fags that think driving manual is hard
>>
>>14469836
The same man that in 2008 was saying flappy paddle gearboxes in shitboxes was stupid lol
>>
>Jeremy Clarkson says its unwise and unnecessary to drive a manual transmission vehicle in daily commuting on the highway and on congested city streets
>uses an unfortunate clickbait phrase as the title of the article
>morons across the internet who can't be fucked to read the fucking article repost this as if its some implication that Clarkson is out of touch

Its the circle of clickbait
>>
>>14469903
>

manual valve control.. every stock auto has it
>>
>>14470923
>I SEE THAT YOU ARE GOING 2MPH, NO I WONT SHIFT INTO FIRST UNLESS YOU COME TO A DEAD STOP

that is not how it works. it just won't downshift from second into first when it would be damaging to the drive train. this is just depending on the manufacturer; honda is bad for this. they will not want to downshift to first once you're in second and already going. its just like a manual car, if a fuckwit ricer didn't own it
>>
>>14471169
This. Jeremy Clarkson is an idiot. An entertaining idiot but an idiot none the less
>>
File: 1450164731058.jpg (62 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1450164731058.jpg
62 KB, 540x720
Dual-clutch is the future, especially if you want something fun but 98% of the time you're in town. I get sick of my 5 speed driving around the city nowadays, maybe I'm just getting old.
>>
>>14471467
No clutch pedal no fun
>>
>>14471453
also in my 4l60e LS1 trans am(automatic), with the manual valve control you can can select the gears, but the computer will keep you from doing anything too retarded. you can't just shift to first from like 60mph or anything, because thats higher than redline

it will shift to first from cruising speed right near redline however
>>
What do I do if I'm stuck with a CVT?
What are the drawbacks of a CVT?
>>
>>14471709
Insurance fraud.
Everything.
>>
>>14470062
He once was a videogame journalist
That should tell you something
>>
>all these plebs without a modern 5 speed tiptronic
>>
>>14471169
That's back when all flappy panels sucked ass. There was no reason to use them over an auto unless you were doing 140 on the autobahn.
>>
>>14469903
Try driving an automatic that was made in the past 10 years and isn't a shitbox. Autos and DCTs have really come a long way in the past little while.
>>
>>14469836
>jeremy clarkson
>literally who
the man is an auto journalist and nothing more. his opinion means fuck all.
>>
File: why-you-always-lying.jpg (20 KB, 467x414) Image search: [Google]
why-you-always-lying.jpg
20 KB, 467x414
>>14475444
>journalist
>>
>>14475426

I have cars that are 20, 25, and 45 years old with automatic transmissions and they don't "freak out" either. The anon in >>14469903 is just a shitty driver that doesn't know how to drive with an automatic.
>>
>>14475977
Have you ever driven a car? Or are you talking from your dad's experience?
Automatics "freak out" on hills, on corners, in snow, on the highway, and I'm sure many many more circumstances.
No they don't typically shift up twice then down twice then up again in three seconds. But they do shift when they shouldn't and that causes problems.
"Sport mode" or what ever garbage new name they've come up with this time does help with the corner and hill bit. But only if you're wanting to drive sporty.
Yes you can actively drive differently to combat some of their terrible inability to actually know what's happening and what's needed. But it's less than ideal and can cause issues in low traction conditions.
There's always give an take with any decision you make. Automatics are not perfect. No matter how many times you spout "omg ur only driving shit boxes".
>>
>>14476072
>Automatics "freak out" on hills, on corners, in snow, on the highway, and I'm sure many many more circumstances.

WTF???

What kind of POS were you driving?

And if you are having trouble driving in the snow/hills/etc., just keep it in low-gear -- or better yet, do everybody a favor and never drive again.
>>
If I was constantly stuck in bumper-to-bumper crap on my commute, I'd go auto. But I'm not, so manual is good.
>>
>>14476072
Lol my 2004 automatic has a weird spot around 45 mph where it can't decide whether it wants to stay at one gear or the other and will shift up and shift down back up and down constantly.
>>
>>14476090
Literally every automatic I've ever driven.
Most recent new to me automatic was a 2016 e350
>>
File: camaro_0.jpg (15 KB, 350x212) Image search: [Google]
camaro_0.jpg
15 KB, 350x212
>mfw VAG and nissan shills are raiding this thread
>>
>>14475977
>>14476090
>he has never driven a manual and thinks the stupid wonky shit autos do is normal
>gear hunting
>torque converter locking and unlocking
>reduced engine braking
>>
Clarkson is getting old, and old people prefer automatics. Not much more to it.
>>
File: speechless.gif (4 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
speechless.gif
4 MB, 200x200
>>14476115
>Literally every automatic I've ever driven.

To think that before you posted this that at least you had the benefit of the doubt that you were driving crappy car with bad transmission...
>>
>>14476122
Those are signs of the transmission going bad.
>>
>>14476072
>they don't typically shift up twice then down twice then up again in three seconds.

Unless you are driving one of those ridiculous 7- or 8-speed transmissions with tiny engines like the Chrysler 200, it shouldn't be doing that.
>>
>>14476415
You can just admit you don't have driving experience.
Automatics are not ideal. They can't be. It's that simple. Tell me how it goes next time you're hooning and your auto goes from second to fifth mid corner, potentially upsetting your car, then when you exit it freaks out to try to get your back into the power band.
>>
>>14469836
It's almost like Clarkson writes for the sake of entertainment and is not serious about it.
>>
>>14470062
> YOU won't BELEIVE the outdated car technology moronic drivers still use!
>>
File: 88b.jpg (29 KB, 300x392) Image search: [Google]
88b.jpg
29 KB, 300x392
>>14476415
>arguing with brosifine
>>
>>14476521
Now I'm all for manual, been driving it for years and don't plan on switching but if there's one thing they are is ideal. At this point there is no reason to get one other than driver experience. Automatics aren't the shit trannys they use to be
>>
The funny thing is I just heard my dad say he wants his next car to be an automatic... and I'm pretty sure he cited the same statistic from the UK as if that supports his cause.

My old man is about as old as Clarkson. They're just getting old and lazy.
>>
>>14469921
/thread
>>
File: AbeOik6.jpg (3 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
AbeOik6.jpg
3 KB, 160x160
>>14469849
>>
File: ok.png (453 KB, 1176x668) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
453 KB, 1176x668
>>14476521
>hooning

That explains it. I was right about you being a shit driver all along.

>>14476568
To be fair, he didn't have his trip on until after he got rump-ravaged.
>>
File: 1454621979116.png (37 KB, 1251x1530) Image search: [Google]
1454621979116.png
37 KB, 1251x1530
>>14476554
>local mom discovers one weird trick to lower lap times. RACE CAR DRIVERS HATE HER!
>>
Can you even do such a simple thing with an automatic as accelerating with full power while staying in highest gear?
>>
>>14476698
Not unless it's fucked
>>
File: 1451344094186.jpg (6 KB, 98x173) Image search: [Google]
1451344094186.jpg
6 KB, 98x173
>>
>>14476698
Sort of.
Usually it will kick down at a certain throttle position, so you could hold it at that point in highest gear, otherwise you could adjust the kick down cable if your cars old enough.
I don't know why you would need to do this though.
>>
>>14476728
Do it literally all the time in my manual and I think most people do. Stuck behind a truck on the motorway, lots of cars overtaking you and it on the left, suddenly there's a gap opening so you floor it. But shifting down to 4th would be an overkill in terms of revs, noise, fuel consumption etc. and it's not really necessary but you do want to overtake rather quickly so you give it full gas on 5th gear. Lots of situations like that.
Had an automatic once and if you floored it at a certain speed at motorway speeds it would shift down in a jerky manner and rev really high for literally like half a second and then shift back up again when it hit the rev limiter, really annoying.
>>
>>14476783

Your automatic was just shit. No need to diss automatics for that reason.
>>
>>14476942
Yeah well, most are, and it's still the same issue. An automatic car has to guess which gear you want to be in and often will get it wrong. The problem might be greatly diminished if you have a new Mercedes with a 7-speed double clutch auto but it's still there.
>>
>>14476942
Even shit manuals still work as well as their driver can operate them, as long as the gears have teeth, the clutch works at all, and you can shift into them all. You can get good enough to use it competently. They don't come inherently flawed like some slushboxes, it's a matter of skill and experience.
>>
I think this thread really goes to show that Clarkson is the automotive world's greatest shitposter, and puts anons to shame.
>>
>>14476783
With an auto, you'd just slowly apply more pressure to the accelerator pedal in a controlled manner. If you just stomp on the pedal all the way down, it's going to kick down a gear or two.
>>
>>14476783

Years ago I used to have a friend that drove around in an SN95 Mustang GT who used to do that. Burned his clutch out every 30k miles or so. it was no big deal to him because he liked working on his car, but I always laughed at him every time I was in the car with him and he would mash the the throttle in 5th gear on the highway and the clutch would just have major slippage.
>>
>>14477325
If your clutch is working properly it will not slip when engaged.
So no, your friend didn't burn out his clutch by going WOT in 5th at low RPMs.

>>14476655
Oh sorry I didn't know that we all only DDed with in the law and never had any fun anywhere at anytime in our cars.
And I'm curious, what posts do you think were me without my trip on?
>>
clarkson forgets: huh? i hear you say...

he has also said (the early flappy paddle) gearboxes were really cumbersome to use. the first car to pioneer this tech was the 355 ferrari was standard equipment on every ferrari onwards (360+)
>>
>>14478542
The conversation was about driving in the snow as the anon in >>14469903 couldn't figure out that he could select a lower gear. Then >>14470923 claimed he wasn't able to select a lower gear either because (a) he's dumb and tried to do it from a "sport" mode or (b) he was trying to do something reckless. Then you come in with >>14476072 thinking we are all trying to drift in automatic cars.
>>
>>14469836
> more than 70% of all cars sold in Britain have manual gearboxes. That means more than 70% of Britain’s car drivers are mad.

Probably because he hosted the UK's most popular TV program for 13 years praising manuals and shitting on automatics and sequential-manuals at every opportunity.
>>
File: 700.jpg (6 KB, 300x303) Image search: [Google]
700.jpg
6 KB, 300x303
>>14469836
>he's talking about people that live in the UK

Thankfully I live somewhere with wide open roads, minimal traffic if you're smart on timing and access to lots of twisty roads.
>>
>>14469903
>being so poor that you dont have an auto with manual shifting mode
>>
>>14476521
Australians, ladies and gentlemen.

>>/pol/ WAS RIGHT
>>
File: bush_in_color__by_jotaemef.jpg (569 KB, 1280x769) Image search: [Google]
bush_in_color__by_jotaemef.jpg
569 KB, 1280x769
>>14481117
>>14476521
>your auto goes from second to fifth mid corner
>>
File: Forester GT.jpg (82 KB, 768x512) Image search: [Google]
Forester GT.jpg
82 KB, 768x512
>>14469836
In the sorts of cars he can afford, automatics are better.

In the sorts of cars we can afford, manuals are superior in every way.
>>
>>14481151
You don't need a car in that oppressive gynaecocracy. You need to remember the fifth of November.
>>
>>14469836
>sun motors
>the sun

kek only you americunts would take anything written in any of britians papers as fact.
>>
>>14481156
Maybe that was too ambiguous.

You need to bomb parliament. With your representatives in it.
>>
>>14469836
That's lame. Getting up to change the channel isn't fun. Shifting gears, on the other hand, is fun.

Stomping on the gas is too stupid to ever be fun by itself. Sure it's more convenient, but only people who can't actually drive would ever find it more exhilarating.

30 years from now we'll have people saying
>Why would you ever drive anything but a self-driving car? They can react faster than any human ever can!

But they'll never understand the raw connection between man and machine as you control a physical linkage between your engine and the wheels.
>>
>>14470923

You have NO idea what locking a transmission in gear is for, do you?
>>
>>14481631
You know, I used to think like this but like after a year of manual, it just gets boring. Like once it because a habit where you know you're going to need to shift, its lost its appeal. I had more fun when I was struggling to learn it. It as a challenge. Now its nothing but going through the motions.
>>
File: baitkakke.png (86 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
baitkakke.png
86 KB, 625x626
>>14481162
>clearly an editorial
>fact

>only americunts
>the Sun is a British publication
>>
>>14469836
People don't realise that, despite his reputation, Clarkson actually has some quite radical views by car enthusiast standards. I remember his column being full of this sort of stuff a lot back when I still read Top Gear Magazine.

Taking the bait for a second, though, what if I enjoy walking over to the TV and changing the channel? What if cleaning my clothes in the local river is my ideal way to spend a couple of hours? Would I buy some sort of device that stopped me from doing those things that I loved to do? No, of course not, that would be insane.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.