[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Automatic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7
File: download (3).jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
7 KB, 259x194
So why do people hate automatic cars again?

>Hurr durr it sucks because you're not purposely making it harder for yourself!!
>>
>>14464113
Less control
>>
>>14464113
+easier
-Less performance
-Worse gas mileage
-higher failure rate
-more expensive to repair
-less fun for spirited driving
>>
They're associated with lazy fat people. Driving stick is also more exciting. But if your everyday driving has a fucking lot of traffic then Automatic is the best way to go.
>>
>>14464122
>less fun for spirited driving

This is the dumbest kind of shit I have to face on /o/. Just because a car is manual, it's automatically fun to drive because HURR RACEKAR XD

You people are so fucking STUPID it hurts me. I'm going to explain myself for no gain whatsoever. After my work you will continue being ignorant or oblivious, most likely both. Until you fucking die. And hopefully that happens soon and painfully. To the point:

Automatic transmissions are more enjoyable to drive because they let you focus on the thrill of driving and the road ahead instead of focusing on operating the clutch and shifting gears.

On public roads you should focus on the road with both hands on the wheel. Not steering with one hand wondering what gear your in or what rpm to switch to.

Manual might give you more control but nigger it isn't more fun to drive, and you better get that into your dumb monkey skulls.
>>
>>14464122
>less performance
>worse gas mileage

not true with recent automatics of higher end cars. high end stuff like corvettes, S550s or pretty much any other expensive sports car is better to have as automatic because the computer is smarter than you and knows how to shift correctly. also gas mileage on automatics is better than manuals now because it can manage revs correctly to the point where unless you're matting it 24/7 it'll maintain the optimal RPMs with gears

there's a reason the GTR only comes in auto
>>
>>14464145
Automatics were made for an easier ride. Not to focus on the road, there is a fuckton of accidents both in auto and stick
>>
>>14464145
is this pasta?
>>
>>14464145
>opposite of truth bait
you cant drive a stick, huh?
>>
>>14464162
>>14464165
>>14464168
stop taking the bait u dumb niggahs
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 731x496) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 731x496
>>14464157
>higher end cars
>high end stuff like corvettes
>corvettes
evrytiem
>>
>>14464157
Gtr has automatic because they need to keep you planted on the ground. Taking off in 1st gear all the way down you would probably lift off and fly away into a ditch or something the auto keeps that in check by killing performance
>>
>>14464122
>more expensive to repair
This is the only one of your points that is objectively true.
>>
>>14464113
Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit if a car is manual or auto?
>>
>>14464145
> driving is so hard for me i can't think about shifting gears while doing it

if its a high end automatic trans it's better but for a shitbox (like /o/'s car) it's better to have a manual because shitty automatics suck.
>>
I have no problems with automatics. I have driven both and personally I feel driving manual is more fun. Nothing feels better than a perfectly executed rev match downshift.
>>
>>14464179
Corquette is gud. I think me meant super performance vehicle
>>
>>14464179
if you don't think the corvette counts as high end because it is 2 seconds behind a car that's 20k more than it then you're delusional
>>
>>14464122
+torque converter multiplies torque
>gas mileage doesn't depreciate in an automatic anymore since there is such a thing as torque converter lockup
+since you can have the engine at a high rpm while at a lower speed, because of the stall speed of the converter, you can actually take advantage of the power you get from a higher rpm(why do you think drag racers like to use them?)
+you can fit more gears and have faster shifts helping fuel economy or acceleration(most new transmissions have 8 gears now)

Also performance cars that use automatics exclusively or are competitive:
>drag racing (maybe not top fuel but it is common to use autos for this)
>trophy trucks and desert prerunners
>King of hammers
>rock crawling

Automatics get a bad rap, but both manuals and autos have their advantages and disadvantages.
>>
>>14464176
nigga i asked if it was pasta because it looked familiar. how is that taking the bait?
>>
The way I see it
Manual can make a shitty car somewhat fun
>>
>>14464113
i don't hate automatics.

i just prefer manuals...
>>
>>14464122

>less performance
Most cars are getting turbos meaning Automatics are actually better performance because you dont have to take load off the engine to shift so the turbos don't lose any boost on shift.

>worst gas mileage

Wrong

>higher failure rate
implying that you dont have to take apart manual transmissions more often to change clutch
>>
Auto can typically hold more power.

And in drag racing they're constant.
>>
>>14464113
>harder

It's not hard once you learn it. Just like driving. Sorry you're afraid to at least try it.
>>
>>14464281
I don't think that automatics are stronger. That can't be a general rule. Yes there are some that are considered bulletproof and overbuilt, but it isn't true for all of them. You also have to compare size and weight, IE, automatics are actually larger than manuals of the same strength because of their design. A perfect example is comparing automatics and manuals from full size trucks, a 4l60e(automatic is about twice the size of a nv4500(manual), and they are regarded as being equally tough.
>>
File: trollline.jpg (11 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
trollline.jpg
11 KB, 184x184
>>14464145
>>
People say automatic but it doesn't mean anything
Do you mean a 4 speed slush box? A fancy dual clutch transmission? What

Torque converters are dog shit in every aspect unless you are limp dick drag fag
Even then roflmao, auto toyobaru is like 2 seconds slower than the manual over the quarter
>>
>>14464326
that isn't even remotely true. The reason that automatics are generally slower, is because the gears don't just change immediately, the transmission regulates pressure to smooth the shift, which takes more time. If you were to install a performance valvebody (or reprogram the shift computer depending on what kind of trans you have) you can actually match or beat a manual (assuming the gear ratios are good enough).
>>
>>14464368
Electronic Autos have been capable of changing line pressure at will at anytime to produce harder or softer shifts for quite a while now. Even so, an autobox still has a higher parasitic drag that does a manual not to mention the inherent efficiency losses in the torque converter itself whenever the lockup clutch isn't applied. That all means less power getting to the ground, which makes a huge difference in something gutless like a Toybaru. Beyond that, autoboxes typically beat the manual counterparts (given the same car and same engine) by having a gearing advantage. For example the dual clutch Volkswagen GTI has a shorter first gear and a shorter final drive than the same car equipped with a manual.
>>
>>14464434
that is mostly true but the fact is you will be applying more torque to the ground the more the torque converter slips. The more the difference in speed between the engine rpm and the transmission input, the more torque multiplication you get out of the converter. Also you can't compare a dual clutch to a manual as an automatic, because they have much more in common with the manual than a tradition automatic. I honestly think DSG is probably the best blend between automatic and manual. It gets rid of the downsides of both styles and has all of the positives.
>>
if youre driving stick, you have better control of the rpm
>>
How does a CVT transmission work?
Is it better than an autotragic?
>>
>>14464898
It gets better gas mileage.
That's about the only advantage.
>>
>>14464196
>if its a high end automatic trans it's better but for a shitbox (like /o/'s car) it's better to have a manual because shitty automatics suck.
underrated post.

this is why /o/ is so pro-manual, because we're mostly young people driving shitboxes where the automatics suck.
>>
>>14464157
>S550
>Sports car
>comeonnow.jpeg
>>
I would say that in the past, manuals were better for performance, mileage, and fun because of the control they let you have over the vehicle. Depending on what you were after, shifting sooner/later could squeeze out a little more mileage or a little better performance than what you could in the automatic version of the car in question. The computer controls they had back then were shit. Humans could control the car better.

Today though? No one can shift faster or better than the computers that are available in many cars now. Shifts take milliseconds, and in the right driving mode the car always keeps you in the ideal rev range to maximize power delivered, and it does all that for you so that you can concentrate on other things as you drive. Hell, computers even rev match on downshifts for you in a lot of flappy paddles and manuals today. Even gas mileage in modern cars is 2 or 3 mpg better in automatics than manuals of the same model. And because they are so refined, there will be less wear on a automatic transmission than its manual counterpart.

Yes, there are a few shitty parts. One of the most satisfying things in the world is the feel of a smooth, short throw, and you lose that in automatics. They give you flappy paddles to make up for not being able to control your car to the degree of manuals, but its not the same. Its also true as some anons above said that repairs on a manual are cheaper. But arguing in terms of performance, economy, and wear and tear in some cases, automatics are objectively better today. Sorry if this upsets some people.
>>
Anyone positng supporting manuals are actually just insecure girl-men trying to lend a boost to their frail egos pretending manual somehow makes driving better when it is in reality the cheaper feature and only better on low end shitboxes.
>>
File: mkegzbNGde1qk22uwo1_250.gif (461 KB, 250x140) Image search: [Google]
mkegzbNGde1qk22uwo1_250.gif
461 KB, 250x140
>>14464113
Manuals are fun

for this reason alone some people prefer to drive them over automatics despite possible drawbacks

they make you feel more engaged with driving the car

in lower end modern cars the standard version is usually more fun than it's automatic counterpart

in upper end cars with dual clutch systems you can have just as much fun due to lots of torque and quick shifts
>>
Helps to have a good manual to begin with - most American cars, I think, aren't, while I learned in a Type R Integra, where the transmission is basically integral to how the car drives in the first place.

Otherwise, it adds more stuff to learn about the car so it takes longer to get the full performance on the track, and then you feel more satisfaction once you don't overrev heeltoeing anymore.

There's also tactile responses (think a blue switch mechanical keyboard) that you get from switching gears and revmatching/heeltoeing.
>>
>but muh auto get better gas mileage!!1
The difference is so fucking menial between either, it's almost an insignificant issue to complain about with most cars. The big difference these days is that manufacture's usually throw an extra O/D gear or more (8 & 9 speed's) on their flagship auto's which not only boosts highway mpg but allows the transmission to stay in the most efficient rpm range possible at any speed.

You have to be mentally retarded to believe that EPA ratings represent everyday driving. Driving style and everyday traffic scenarios greatly influence mpg more than transmission type in most cases. If you keep your lead foot off the pedal and short shift frequently alongside engine braking to stops, it wouldn't be hard to match an equivalently geared auto. Now whether you have the discipline to keep that mpg high is another story... if you really don't care about shifting consistently an auto will just make it easy.
>>
It's almost always inferior on old shitboxes
And just isn't as fun when really pushing a car.
For A DD to and from work I'd happily take an auto, but on a sports car winding around hills it just feels wrong
>>
>>14464985
It's almost always insecure autocucks that make these threads trying to justify themselves to manualfags.

Who are you trying to fool?
>>
>>14464145
> Not steering with one hand wondering what gear your in or what rpm to switch to.

confirmed for can't drive manual properly
>>
>>14464113
I get bad mpgs
>>
File: 1452216674485.png (13 KB, 150x222) Image search: [Google]
1452216674485.png
13 KB, 150x222
>>14464145
nice pasta bro
>>
>>14464217
> +torque converter multiplies torque

gears can multiply torque as well, why is this a pro for automatics?
>>
>>14464278
You can change a clutch in your home garage but you can't rebuild an automatic transmission there.
>>
> huurr durr computer is smarter than you

tell me when it can downshift in advance for a turn

> hurr durr it has better performance cuz turbos and lockup clutches and shiieeet

still has less performance in gear

> you can focus on the road more!!

zero effort bait, or has never driven manual

you need to focus on the road to drive a car properly, let alone a manual. Focusing on the gearbox is not what anybody does.
>>
i've got both but my automatic is from the 90s so i'd imagine auto trannys are better now but i prefer manual in every driving situation

the auto just sometimes seems to be on a different gear than i would like

and in stop and go traffic when i'm commuting i like the manual because you don't have to use the brake as much and drivers stay off your ass it seems
>>
My DD weekly work vehicle - Auto
My weekend Fox - Manual

Shifting just feels like I'm more connected with the experience, no way I would have a weekend sports car in Auto... just seems to dull the feeling
>>
Like I just read in another post about stupid shit girls say,

"I can't text/snapchat" as easily driving a stick.

Automatics make lazy airhead oblivious drivers. People who own them more than likely neglect them, what is a CEL? yea I changed the oil.. Not since I bought it 50k miles ago.
>>
>>14465589
I agree, it enables bad driving habits for retarded people that shouldn't be on the road in the first place.
>>
>>14465350
If you don't abuse your auto trans (unlike assholes that kickdown on every start to make it shift quicker and don't put neutral on stops) and do proper maintenance like changing ATF and filters on a regular basis (a cheap and similar process to oil changes on engine) you'll never gonna need a rebuild.
Also, if you have an Aisin AW trans, it's quite possible that your gearbox life will surpass your car's body and even engine life.
>>
>not being apart of the auto daily/standard fun car master race

i feel bad for the plebs driving stick in traffic, i also feel bad for the plebs who can't drive properly to begin with
>>
>>14464190
yeah I don't really give a fuck either, I feel like the only people who argue about it are those who can't drive manual and "lol driftkar" ricerfags that have something to prove

if you like the car, then fuck it. If you wan't to specifically drive auto/manual, then do it. Nobody else cares. Fuck off and die.
>>
>>14464113
Not as fun to drive
>>
Some cars HAVE to be manual.

Some cars are acceptable as a auto or a manual.

Some cars are better with an automatic.

Is this really so hard to understand? Driving a manual 1990 Honda doesn't make you any more of an auto enthusiast/driving God.

I still really hate auto's tho. I can barely stay awake in traffic after along day at work or a day in the mountains. Manuals definitely help keep you awake and alert.
>>
>>14466095
> i feel bad for the plebs driving stick in traffic
it's not that bad tbqh pham
>>
>>14466136
i mean it's not like it will actually make your life worse or anything but on a busy morning commute i just want time to relax before i have to sell my soul to my boss
>>
File: 1455435729157.jpg (149 KB, 525x808) Image search: [Google]
1455435729157.jpg
149 KB, 525x808
>>14464113
Fedoraposters like to think shifting makes them special.

I reckon you could teach the average burger how to operate a manual vehicle in an afternoon.
>>
>>14464113
>Mfw daily a CVT
>pulls hard as fuck
>Daily use to be a 5 speed 1.8 Civic
>Don't miss manual at all.

I could care less desu, atleast I don't have to downshift twice anymore to overtake anyone :,)
>>
Are there any DCTs that are actually good?
>>
>>14466344
it's "I couldn't care less" you stupid cunt
>>
>>14466455
I still fucked you're mom.
>>
>>14464145
lol odvious stick allergic.
Yyou dont look at the rpm you liston to the engine
>>
>>14464122
>-higher failure rate
>more expensive to repair

not if you drive a GM

>4l60e
>abuse the fuck out of it for 200k miles
>then a jy unit is only $90

rebuild it in like 2 hours.
>>
>>14464145
Honestly, after driving manual for about 1 month you don't even think about switching or thinking about what rpm you need to be at. You do it based on the sound of the car. I think that autos are better for trucks and suv's, and manuals are better for sports cars. Also manual keeps me focused on driving, and I find I am closer to the speed limit when driving manual.
>>
>>14464145
If you have to focus on shifting gears and using the clutch, your not doing it right. Ignore this shitposter, /o/. He's a fag who's jealous because he couldn't do it.
>>
>>14464145
>Automatics let you focus on the "thrill of driving"
>Manual isn't more fun to drive
>Wants to remove himself from the driving experience by letting the car shift for him

It's okay, hopefully one day your balls will drop and you'll man up enough to actually attempt driving with a standard transmission. Driving an automatic is like having sex with your pants on.
>>
>>14466302
> manual more expensive
> manual breaking by missing shifts
> viper isn't faster than gtr

what exactly is the point of this image if it's all lies anon
>>
>>14469776
I've driven both types for long time and it's same shit for me, sweetie.
>>
>>14466344
> daily 1.6 civic
> overtake people with only one downshift
kek
>>
>>14470589
It's representative of fedoraposters trying to wear their shifters.
>>
>>14464113
Heavy inefficient slushboxes that change gear at the wrong time.
/thread
>>
>>14464434
>autobox has a higher parasite drag
Please enlighten me
>>
>>14465357

>downshift before turn
What are paddles, you can manually change the gears in autos nowadays.

>less performance in gear
actually most are pulling faster times in general all around
>>
>>14466455
I could care less about that
>>
>>14464180
Being an auto or manual has nothing to do with tcm. All new manual and automatic cars have some sort of tcm. The way tcm works is either by adjusting the fuel/timing or the far for simpler way now is closing the electronic throttle body. I don't know of any car that uses the transmission to control tcm functions because doing so would create far too much heat in the transmission and lead to its quick demise.
>>
>>14464113
Less fun, doesn't always guess the gear I want or need correctly. Perfectly fine for comfy cars though
>>
>>14464113
cant explain it, kinda like why /pol/ & /b/ hate niggers
>>
Is it true that the 9 speed automatics are trash?
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 282x327) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 282x327
>>14464145
>>
>>14475511
fuck you but hey
>>
>>14475511
>bumps it after 10 hours
>>14476004
>bumps it with a meaningless reaction image after another hour of no activity
>>
>>14464157
>the computer is smarter than you
no it isn't
>gas mileage on automatics is better than manuals now
no it isn't
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.