[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey whats up /o/ i am seriously debating between buying either
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: renegade.jpg (75 KB, 640x537) Image search: [Google]
renegade.jpg
75 KB, 640x537
hey whats up /o/ i am seriously debating between buying either a mid 90's or earlier jeep Cherokee or a new jeep renegade.
>about me.
I enjoy occasional offroading and covet offroad ability even though I commute on pavement quite often. I would expect the vehicle to be able to run around some dirt trails about 2 our of every 7 days. what should i get
>btw i live back and forth between SC and MI.
what should i choose?
>>
>>14459752
the new renegade is a fiat
the old cherokee was an AMC product under Lee Iacocca

I wouldn't get either

If you want offroad, get a first gen 4runner with low gearing
>>
>>14459752
Heep a shit
Get a 4runner or xterra
>>
>>14459752
>tfw dd a 98 XJ
do you know how to work on a car?
>>
>>14459767
>xterra
OP, don't get one of these. My dad has had one for 15 years and I have no clue how he didn't trade it in right away.
>absolutely fucking gutless
>cramped
>almost no storage space
>no aftermarket for offroad parts
>not sure what gearing he has but it cruises at a really high RPM, literally 1000 higher than my Cherokee
>>
>>14459752
i-is this even a question? Do you even into car, OP?

Whatever, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are from another board. Don't listen to these faggots. A 4runner is good but you'll have to pay the Toyota tax and won't get a GOAT engine. The first-gen xterra is semi-decent, but definitely harder to find than a cherokee. So, get the cherokee. Make sure it has a 4.0 engine and 4wd. Also, get a stick if you can drive it. The money that you save vs a new car will more than cover any expenses that you will incur with a typical used Cherokee. Also, if you are going to go offroad, you should get a used car regardless. I could honestly go on and on about the benefits of a cherokee over a renagade.

>no cvt
>virtually no depreciation
>cheaper parts
>easier/cheaper maintenance
>known to go beyond 400k miles
>so good that it's on the sticky
>no worries about voiding the warranty
>etc.

basically, the renegade only has only three advantages:

warranty
mpg
safety

So, to me, the clear winner is the cherokee.

Also, I will say this. 4 years ago, my dad bought a 4.0 cherokee that had been wrecked. The engine knocked something fierce but still ran. He decided to wait to repair the engine until it completely failed. 4 years and 50k miles later, the damn thing still runs with that knock.
>>
>>14459752
>Anything Chrysler
>Anything Chinkshit

I'm talking about both.
>>
File: jeep snow.jpg (77 KB, 1234x693) Image search: [Google]
jeep snow.jpg
77 KB, 1234x693
>>14459752
Cherokee obviously. New cars a shit.
>>
I6 was a good engine. 90's jeep was actually worth a fuck
>>
File: image.jpg (972 KB, 3000x1995) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
972 KB, 3000x1995
S T R A I G H T 6
T
R

>>
The Fiat is a terrible offroader. Get the Cherokee.

Found
In
Aoad
Tead
>>
>>14460143
What's a streightysix?
>>
>>14460153
How many men are potentially your father
>>
>>14460287
kek
>>
>>14460143
It's a toyobaru with a 2jz swap, duh.
>GT STR86
>>
>>14460152
The XJ is garbage off road, too.
>>
>>14459851
>>absolutely fucking gutless
The 4.0 is more than plenty, the 3.3 I agree 100%
>>almost no storage space
Compared to the Jeeps OP posted? kek you're delusional
>>almost no aftermarket
delusional x2
>>cruises at high rpm
It's geared for slow off-roading, not the fucking highway

I'm curious as to what Cherokee you have
>>
>>14461470
>>>absolutely fucking gutless
>The 4.0 is more than plenty, the 3.3 I agree 100%
Didn't know they got a massive engine upgrade later on but you still have to deal with a turbo then.

>>>almost no storage space
>Compared to the Jeeps OP posted? kek you're delusional
A cherokee has five more cubic feet, that's pretty significant.
>>>almost no aftermarket
>delusional x2
Compared to an XJ? Yeah it might as well not even exist.
>>>cruises at high rpm
>It's geared for slow off-roading, not the fucking highway
That's what 4LO is for.
>I'm curious as to what Cherokee you have
'92 2 Door.
>>
>>14462037
>Didn't know they got a massive engine upgrade later on but you still have to deal with a turbo then.
??????

The Cherokee needs the aftermarket because of all of its deficiencies.
>>
>>14461460
Found a non xj owner. Poor kid..
>>
>>14462399
But he's right
>>
>>14461460
If the XJ is garbage off-road then the Fiat is a medical waste bin full of rancid fetus chunks.
>>
>>14462441
It's about the same
>>
>>14459761
only right answer in this thread
>>
>>14462527
It's a shit answer. Get an old as fuck, beat to shit Toyota? He could at least have recommended a 3rd gen.
>>
>>14462037
Xterras

00 - 04 have the 3.3 w turbo/sc option.
05 - 2015 have 4.0 with no turbo/sc option.

Get an 05+ manual trans and you won't regret it. Large aftermarket, lots of power, lots of space to haul stuff.
>>
>>14461460

Even though it's only a Dana 30 upfront, that solid axle in the XJ automatically makes it better offroad then any IFS pile of shit.
>>
>>14462730
Sorry, that's wrong. Your opinion is shit and not in line with facts.
>>
>>14462714
There's no turbocharged VG33 in the Xterra.
>>
>>14462781
Oops, you're correct. Just sc
>>
>>14462751

I have been wheeling since I was a small kid. I love seeing IFS rigs line up on anything intermediate difficulty and above and just start breaking things and bouncing all over the place. I am sorry that the entire 4x4 industry acknowledges that a solid axle is better in a majority of situations unless you are going fast (pre-runner in sand dunes for instance).

Go ahead though, think what you think of me. You can always bring your rig to some of the trails I do on a monthly basis here in the Rocky Mountains, and show me up by all means.
>>
>>14462831
>I love seeing IFS rigs line up on anything intermediate difficulty and above and just start breaking things and bouncing all over the place.
You don't see that.

Even if that were true the D30 is a piece of shit just like the XJ, so you have no point in this thread.
>>
Isn't the i6 in the Cherokee the same as the i6 in the CJ7s?
>>
>>14462858
4.0 and 258 are close, but there are several other things going on in the 4.0.
>>
>>14462858
Eh, it's related to the 258. Not the same.
>>
>>14462847

Yes, yes I have. I have even helped IFS guys put in a new balljoint on a trail because it snapped when they were bouncing around.

The Dana 30 is still stronger then an IFS system and easier to fix if something were to go wrong.

Ton's of videos as well out there of IFS vs solid axle and after conversions done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKwNtp693sc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdsN-ZnQjb8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6rWM4Py4jA

That last video is a perfect example of what I mean by bouncing around.
>>
>>14462909
>I have even helped IFS guys put in a new balljoint on a trail because it snapped when they were bouncing around.
Ball joints don't snap...You're obviously full of shit.
>That last video is a perfect example of what I mean by bouncing around.
What? A stiffly sprung and virtually unloaded vehicle is bouncy? What a shocking development. I didn't bother reading the other crap.
>>
>>14462921

You are probably some east coaster who has never been on a real trail in your life. I am pretty much done arguing with you at this point. Have fun mall crawling.
>>
>>14462941
>You are probably some east coaster who has never been on a real trail in your life
Yea, nah. Don't live on the East coast and have been on many trails. I've taken a trail from the East to the West, in fact :^).
>I am pretty much done arguing with you at this point.
Good, because your argument is shit.
>>
>>14459752
Depends what you want.
You want a warranty, 27 combined mpg, and comfort get a Renegade.

You want a unibody platform with a pretty good engine, trans options, and a tcase with 2.72:1 ratios get a Cherokee (XJ).

Your concern will be rust on the XJ. The I6 is a simple and good engine, the AW4 auto trans is reliable and the AX15 manual is essentially the same as the R150 in toyota trucks. The NP231 tcase has a lower range than other vehicles like the 4Runner and Yota PU.

The renegade which for a 4wd model will cost you about 22k.
Engines offered for N.A. are the:
2.4 tigershark with 184 hp and 177 ft/lb of torque and the 1.4 fire engine producing 160hp and 184 ft/lb of torque. The 4wd system in the BU is weird but uses the transmission to achieve a 20:1 ratio.

Between the both XJs have a lot of aftermarket support so you can do what you want to it. Its fairly easy to work on and to do maintenance as well. However you'll get a smoother ride in the BU, yet you sacrifice being able to build it. If your a hands off guy that doesnt want to tinker with parts and aftermarket then the BU is for you. If you want to work on a vehicle and learn then the XJ is the way to go.

I daily an XJ, it does fine for me. I take it out on weekends and go crawling and offroading.
>>
>>14462847
The D30 is a pretty good axle if its high pinion. You can put 35s on it if you sleeve or gusset it. If you want to go beyond 35s then a 44 would be a good way to go or spring for a D60.
>>
>>14462714
OP do this.

I had an 05 Xterra Offroad with a manual, wish I never sold it. The aftermarket is perfectly fine. Got myself a small lift and 33" MTs and it would do anything I needed it to offroad.
>>
>>14463049
>The D30 is a pretty good axle if its high pinion
It doesn't matter where the pinion is, it's still garbage.
>>
>>14465106
It does because of pinion angle and how the pumpkin is cast.
>>
File: IMG_20160124_124446.jpg (1 MB, 2176x2176) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160124_124446.jpg
1 MB, 2176x2176
>>14459761
how are the 1st gens holding up? i love my 3rd gen, got the 3.4 but i just wish it were manual.
The blizzard this year was no problem and totally awesome in this
>>
>>14459752
Dont listen to the eurocucks. The 4.0 is a god tier engine. And the suspension is so easy to modify to your needs. Excuse the meme. Its a jeep thing, they just dont understand.
>>
>>14465126
I doesn't because the housing (axle tubes/outers) is still weak garbage.
>>
>>14465260
If you look back I said with it sleeved or gusseted.
>>
>>14465361
So, you agree it is weak garbage
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 517x572) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 517x572
>>14461460
>>
I miss when Jeeps were called 4x4's and not SUV's

fuck SUV as a car type
>>
>>14465568
They were originally released as a compact SUV, labeled by the manufacturer. They were also considered the first crossovers. That is referring to the XJ. The wagoneer was a full size.... you guessed it, SUV! They've always been that way. Aside from the wrangler and comachee. Or maybe others, but I'm not an expert on Jeep.
>>
File: IMG_20151222_183311.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151222_183311.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>all this talk of 90s Jeeps and new Fiat shit
>No real talk of 60s, 70s, 80s Jeeps
>What the fuck
>The actual fuck
>back when jeep was decent

Come on people, 90s Jeeps are simply parts vehicles for the older ones, they are practically gutless and you can constantly say
>MUH 258 THO ITS RELIABLE
>ITS A INLINE 6!!!! THEY DUNT MAK THOSE NO MOAR
>ITS A REEL 4X4
>FOUUUURRRRRRRRRRR BYE FURRRRR

Pre-Chrysler Jeeps are the only good Jeeps... but even those are shit.

>I own a 1975 J20 Jeep w/ AMC 360 4bbl
The fuel system is the god fucking damn worst.
>>
>>14466004
I almost bought a 77' J20 with the 401. Dear god I wanted it so bad. But I didnt have 7k to drop.
>>
>>14466004
This.

I had a Wagoneer. Only Jeep I'll ever own. It was cool for a while until it being a total piece of shit came around to bite me.
>>
>>14462419
and found another
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.