[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Car essentials
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10
File: image_16073.jpg (135 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image_16073.jpg
135 KB, 1200x1200
What are some car essentals you always have with you in case of a breakdown ?

Il Start:
>Car Jack
>>
>>14447325
A German car, I can help out any broken down Fords I find. (I don't but I can)
>>
>>14447325
a AAA card and a cell phone.
you cant do any real work on the side of the road without carrying around a bunch of stupid shit.
>>
>>14447325
Spare black ice tree
>>
>>14447325
Little fire extinguisher full of black ice.
>>
Rope
Duct tape
Booster cables
Tools

I want to get a car booster
>>
>>14447325
Jump booster, cell phone.

A spare tire/jack is too much weight.
>>
loaded gun
>>
>>14447325
>Tool bag
>Jumper cables
I had a compressor before but it broke.
>>
>>14447325
>Widowmaker

I carry a full size 2 ton hydraulic jack at all times in case of a flat. Also jumper leads, basic tool kit and a tow rope
>>
File: DSCN3827[1].jpg (50 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3827[1].jpg
50 KB, 800x600
>>14448768
>not carrying one of these made of carbon fiber for maximum reliability and weight savings.
>>
>>14447325
my car never breaks down because i drive a chevy
>>
>>14448793
>Alternative window maker design
That's still a shitty jack.
>>
The stuff I carry helps other people more than it's ever helped me.
>>
>>14448796
>not recognizing sarcasm.
nevermind, you just wanted a reply. Here it is.
Twat.
>>
>>14448796
Widowmaker buddy, not window.
>>
>>14448796
>window maker
>>
>>14448816
Loled.
Opps.
>>
>>14447325
Jack, spare wheel, wheel brace that's long enough to actually take the nuts off, wheel nut key, card with recovery company details on it.

Other 'essentials' are a few plastic bags, a plastic crate, a few markers, cheap pens, extension leads for the USB and aux in ports, and sticky labels for use on bad parkers.

>>14448793
Those don't work. My old car had one, and it refused to fucking lift the car when it had to. Just kept slipping out and going for my ankle.
>>
>jack
>tow rope
>booster cables
>compressor
>tools to remove wheels
>fire extinguisher
>>
>>14447383
>>14447405
Don't forget your suitcase of memes
>>
File: cz75grips4.jpg (139 KB, 720x572) Image search: [Google]
cz75grips4.jpg
139 KB, 720x572
>>14448675
another gun, just in case
>>
name a good jump starter that i can buy now on Amazon
>>
>>14447364
I guess you're emergency breakdown kit just consists of a couple thousand dollars for when anything goes wrong.

> mfw drive a ford
> mfw $20 for new spark plugs instead of $120 BMW Sparkplugs
>>
File: Safety.jpg (71 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
Safety.jpg
71 KB, 750x600
Speaking of jacking (up) cars, am i the only one faggot afraid of that? When im to juck up a car to change wheel or do some brake job etc. im always afraid that it will snap and fall down, or the jack is going to slip (im using this hydraulic lever one) or roll out.

And when i jacked up the car, im afraid to do pretty much anything (apply pressure to bolts etc) because im afraid it will either fall of the jack or the jack will pierce through old steel and cause terrible body damage.

How to stop being such a pussy in that matter?

>i have a trauma because it happened to me once, jacking up old honda so rusty that jack snapped through its floor (jacking up pos.)
>>
>>14449089
Just buy a set of jumper cables, 9/10 people would jump your car for you if you are stuck in a parking lot or something. Buying a battery in a box is a waste of money and you need to keep it charged.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
Extra pack of cigs and cell phone charger just in case I have to wait a bit for the tow truck
>>
>>14449182
Jackstands. Fucking jackstands. And a tire under the car.
>>
>>14449214
i usually put jackstand + jack next to each other. Sometimes when im not lazy i stuff a tire there.

Or did you mean put the car on 4 jacks to decrease eventual pressure on any given corner of the car?
>>
>>14449182

The little emergency jack that comes with your car is pretty much just for roadside tire changes. You shouldn't ever get under your car when it's supported by a jack. I wouldn't even kneel down- if it slips you want to be crouched on your feet so you can get away.

Jack up the car and lower it back down onto jack stands. Some people leave the jack in place but I find it gets in the way. Before you get under there, try to shake the car a bit to see if anything shifts. You'll find that a car properly supported by jack stands is as stable as a car on its tires. It's not going anywhere. I always push on a car a bit to make sure it won't move when I'm underneath with a wrench.
>>
>>14449164
>mfw being so poor as to actually care about 120$ sparkplugs
>>
>>14449182
>>14449214
>>14449241
Also. Do you have any protips on jacking up rear of the RWD car? i mean, i have a situation where i cant use handbrake nad gears because i need wheels to be spinning freely to finish my job, am i goin to need to rely solely on bricks under front tires?
i also try to steer the front wheels left or right fully to increase force needed to roll the car
>>
>>14449239
Use a floor jack to get it up, then put two jack stands on the jack points and let the floor jack down. Then carry the floor jack to the ass of the car and repeat so that all four tires are off the ground. make sure the parking brake is cranked as hard as you can get it the whole time
>>
>>14447407
>aka "rape kit"
>>
>>14449384
W-where do the booster cables come in anon kun? S-sounds lewd
>>
>>14447325
>phone
>bottle jack and spare
>quart of gas
>bottle of coolant
>sockets wrenches screwdrivers pliers and zip ties
>vacuum tubing, electrical tape and duct tape
>any spare part that usually goes bad on vehicle (tps, ecu, ignition module
>fuses
>couple of spark plugs
>>
Well I've got a shitbox, so when ever I break down I just break this out while I wait for the tow truck.
inb4 miata. I drive a mx-6
>>
File: drac-fleshlight-freaks.jpg (17 KB, 345x195) Image search: [Google]
drac-fleshlight-freaks.jpg
17 KB, 345x195
>>14449421
Wowwwww way for me to miss my picture.
>>
are these the safest portable lifts?
>>
food bars water compass coolant quart oil some fuses replacement bulbs
>>
>>14449481
They ain't bad if you have a board or something stable to put it on. I still wouldn't go sticking my head under it though, just to throw on the spare to get out of whatever mess I'm in.
>>
I took the bag that my belt sander came in and have socket sizes 8-18mm. A 3/8 rachet and a 1/4 rachet. Pliers, 2 screw drivers, a various hose clamps, a kinfe and a lighter. Also the obvious, jack and jumper cables. Recently I've kept half a bottle of coolant and a quart of oil.
>>
>>14449241
>The little emergency jack that comes with your car is pretty much just for roadside tire changes

Well, yeah, it's an emergency jack. That's why I use ramps for oil changes, when they aren't thrown in with a service.
And even then, if it falls, it won't squish me. There's enough clearance for it not to kill me, but not enough to squirm under it and access anything.

>>14449481
You can tell it's a jeep because you have to haul around a lift to fix anything that breaks on the way anywhere.
>>
>>14447407

Rope
Duct Tape
Few bottles of Lye drain opener
Trash bags
Nitrile gloves

Ftfy>>14447407
>>
Tire pump with a cigarette lighter plug-in
>>14449192
Reminds me of the McLaren logo
>>
I've got a (proper) first aid kit, dry fire extinguisher, basement cheap socket set, jack and stand, jumper cables, some of that stupid fucking radiator leak stop, pressurized air and that tyre leak stop too.

I take care of my car and mostly bring this shit to help other people, the jumper cables are almost worn out from the amount of jumps. Not lending out my spare again though, last guy never bothered to return it.

Idk, sometimes I'm retarded.
>>
>>14448891
>sticky labels for use on bad parkers.

Autism.
>>
>>14450091
Why a pump? When would you use it?
>>
>>14449395
nipple play sempai
>>
>>14449286
Wheel chocks bruh, you should always chock the wheel opposite the side you are jacking up.
Even if all you have is 2x4s just something to keep the car from rolling.
>>
>>14449403
Reasonable
>>
>>14447407
>Tools
Sounds ominous.
>>
File: 91X8fKuqD8L._SL1500_.jpg (390 KB, 1408x1500) Image search: [Google]
91X8fKuqD8L._SL1500_.jpg
390 KB, 1408x1500
This craftsman tool set and a jumpbox incase my battery decides to die. Works well.
>>
>>14447376
Because a jack, tire iron, jumper cables, a tow rope, spare fuses, gator clips, spare fluids, spare spark plugs, vice grips, crescent wrench, philips and flat screwdrivers, flashlight, first aid kit, warning triangles/lights/flares, and all sorts of other shit are totally useless right?

No one is asking you to change a head gasket on the side of the road you fucking retard.

FYI, if you add a 3/8" ratchet set and a torque wrench to my list, you COULD change a head gasket on the side of the road. you fucking fuck. Goddamn this board is such shit
>>
>>14447325
A small can of gas is all I need because all I drive is fords and have never had one break down in my life
>>
>>14447325
Jack, spare tire, jumpers, and my "oh shit" toolbox
>>
>>14455202
you just jinxed yourself....enjoy sitting on the side of the road this week
>>
>>14448793
This is the jack my S80 came with and its sketchy as fuck, i cant trust it when i use it
>>
>>14449254
>drive V10 bimmer
>need plugs
1200 dollars down the drain
Could've bought a corrola and 200 dollars worth of black ice.
>>
File: 1911s.jpg (199 KB, 1528x1209) Image search: [Google]
1911s.jpg
199 KB, 1528x1209
A gun, so I can get myself a new car quickly.
>>
File: shit_was_so_cash.jpg (15 KB, 299x300) Image search: [Google]
shit_was_so_cash.jpg
15 KB, 299x300
>>14449192

It's hard to imagine just how simple you really are.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.