[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please think twice about buying/driving manual transmission,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6
File: used-manual-transmission.jpg (7 KB, 300x224) Image search: [Google]
used-manual-transmission.jpg
7 KB, 300x224
Please think twice about buying/driving manual transmission, br/o/s.

>http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2016/02/lyndhurst_man_dies_after_hes_run_over_by_his_own_j.html

A 50-year-old man died Thursday from injuries he suffered when he was struck by his own 1985 Jeep Wrangler, according to police.

(File photo)

The victim, whose name is being withheld by police, apparently leaned in to start the manual-transmission vehicle as it was parked backwards in his driveway on New York Avenue, according to police.

"He leaned in to start it, to warm it up, and the Jeep lunged forward," said police Capt. John Valente. "He got caught between the vehicle and a fire hydrant."

The Jeep continued across the street and rolled about 60 feet into a neighbor's yard, where it stalled, Valente said.

As the victim lay on the ground, someone called 911 but was unaware the man had been struck by a vehicle until he told rescuers.

"The Jeep got away from me," the man said in Spanish, according to Valente.
>>
Take it out of gear before releasing the clutch and this wont happen.
>>
>>14444676
or drive automatic
there's more than 1 solution
>>
What is a neutral safety switch for 500 Alex.
>>
Lmao aussie/10 shitpost
>>
Who starts their manual vehicle from outside?

Too bad he's probably already reproduced so he can't win the Darwin award.
>>
>>14444661
>Please think twice about buying/driving manual transmission

I wish i had thought twice about buying an automatic.. i really wanted a manual.
>>
>>14444661
i lost my foot because i drove a manual
now its a robot foot
its sick but i cant drive
>>
i'm too paranoid to leave my car running
>>
>>14444661
>the man said in Spanish

no shit he was a fucking spic that's why he can't into manual, he is into manuel
>>
>>14444716
Me, sometimes. Nothing wrong with it
>>
Holy shot this guy deserved to die. I have an 86 wrangler, and how ducking stupid do you have to be to lean in and start it IN GEAR? I understand while modern cars have to be started in neutral now
>>
>>14444755
he probably drove manual all his life and just accidently brainfart
>>
When I have to de-ice my car, I use my ice scrapper to push the clutch in and start the car. Always in neutral though, because I'm not a pleb.
>>
My S10 blazer would start up in gear and liked to slip out of park a lot.

>start truck from kitchen window
>rolls back into the fence
>whoops

Remember kids, always use the e-break even in a auto.
>>
>>14444661
Oh shit Lyndhurst is like two towns away from me, small world
>>
>>14444661
>not double-checking it's in neutral
>not pressing the clutch
deserved it tbqh
>>
>>14444913
>even in a auto
wat
>>
>>14444684
How about a not shit solution, for once?
>>
>>14444755
Most non murikans drive manuels pretty well.

In central and southamerica everybody knows how to use them because they are cheap and no moni.

In europe they are standar cuz "muh economy"

In japan they are standar because "muh heel-toe-toegay run"
>>
I witnessed the opposite occurring: I saw my roommate's S13 back out of the driveway but instead of stopping when he got to the little one lane road in front of our house he kept rolling into the field on the other side and got caught on a log that was put there for just such an occasion. He didn't get out so I ran down to see if he was all right, turned out he wasn't even in the car. The driveway was at an incline and he hadn't left it in gear when he parked it. Apparently the 24 year old e-brake had had enough.
>>14444950
Yup, older autos can jump from park to reverse. Ford got hit with a lawsuit about it, my mom had a boyfriend in the 80s who got run over by his own 67 Galaxie.
>>
Always press on the clutch and the brake before starting. That's day 1 shit.

Post that other one with the chinese lady that decapitated herself and ran over her husband while her child watched as she tried to back out.
>>
>>14444661
my honda would stall without giving it any throttle
torquefags literally rekt
>>
>>14445042
>Post that other one with the chinese lady that decapitated herself and ran over her husband while her child watched as she tried to back out.
wat
>>
>>14445051
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2347437/Woman-driver-husband-killed-freak-car-parking-accident-practiced-reversing-year-old-daughter-car.html

There it is
>>
>>14445079
Straight out of a guro doujin
>>
File: WHAT THE FUG.jpg (41 KB, 680x793) Image search: [Google]
WHAT THE FUG.jpg
41 KB, 680x793
>>14445079
>>
>>14444984
Wrong. Japanese buy as many automatics as americans.
>>
>>14445042
Please do. I cant even picture such an epic fuckup.
I only ever leave my car in gear on steep hills. So starting it up from outside is no big deal
>>
>>14445079
Oh wow
>>
>>14445042

Pretty much this. Thankfully on most newer vehicles you often won't be able to get the engine to crank if you don't have the clutch peddle fully pressed.
>>
>>14445079
Wow...i realise i actually remember this. Asian women behind the wheel
>>
>>14445155
Thats lame as fuck
>>
File: 1448543724817.jpg (110 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1448543724817.jpg
110 KB, 720x540
>>14444661
>Please think twice about buying/driving manual transmission, br/o/s.
Yeah no thanks faggot.
>>>/n/
>>
The one time I didn't press on the clutch or brake to start because I thought it was paranoid to do it every time I almost crashed into our flagpole. Apparently my dad always leaves the cars in 1st gear, even in completely flat terrain.
Since then I always press on the clutch and brake, always.
>>
>>14444661
An automatic will also run you over in drive or reverse, and not ever stall.
>>
Aren't autos more dangerous? I mean they go forward when idling, manuals stall. In a no control scenario I'd prefer the manual.
>>
>>14445164

Yes, but its retards like >>14445079 that made it necessary. It's typically the same breed that can't breathe and blink at the same time.
>>
File: 1443417511136.gif (721 KB, 446x251) Image search: [Google]
1443417511136.gif
721 KB, 446x251
>>14445185
you should always park a manual in gear you doof. and you should always wiggle the shifter to ensure it is in neutral.
>>
>>14444722
just fit a car with hand controls, there are double amputees that can drive. You can even fit a hand operated clutch.
>>
>>14445199
My driveway is flat, far away from the road and I always pull the e brake. No reason. I do the wiggle now though.
>>
>>14445210
Yeah, actually there is. E brakes fail. If you feel like half assing everything you do power to you. Driveways are in fact not flat for drainage purposes. Don't come crying to me when your car rolls away then.
>>
>>14444661
>Police said they searched for the Jeep, finding it in a yard directly across from the man's home.

our brilliant law enforcement officers hard at work. They really had to search for it?
>>
>>14445219
Look man, that's completely flat, I know because we'd parked a van with a broken e brake in neutral there and it didn't go anywhere overnight. Also it's far away from the road. Only reason to park in gear is if you're on an incline or so that the car doesn't roll much if it's hit while parked.
>>
>>14445045
Amazed nobody took the bait
>>
>>14445238
people are tired of shitposting
>>
>>14445120
>[citation needed]
>>
>>14445236
>Only reason to park in gear is if you're on an incline or so that the car doesn't roll much if it's hit while parked.
And so that you don't develop lazy bad habits that will come back to bite you one day. It takes zero effort to move the shifter forward and have a redundant safety feature. Do what you want but you are the tard, not ur dad.
>>
>>14444661
>Let's ban manual assault transmissions
FUCK YOU OBAMA
>>
>>14444661

That's fucking Darwinism. Who doesn't make sure the car is in neutral w/ the parking brake on before starting?
>>
>>14445246
Look it up yourself dickhead. It's all over the internet.

Maybe if you did some reading away from 4chan you'd know this already
>>
>>14445236
same thing as using your turn signal
it's better to have a useless good habit than forget it once and fuck shit up for everyone
>>
>>14445189
>manuals stall
Lol if you drive pleb shit
>>
>>14445343
When my shit's already warm, i don't.
Start in 1st with foot on clutch and no handbrake, start letting it out immediately after it's kicked.
>>
>>14445648
>not providing sources to not-believable facts
>>
>>14445765
>He can't believe that people living in one of the most highly populated countries on earth with seriously bad traffic drive automatic

I'm afraid that makes you the dumb cunt. They have elevator parking lots and sleep in hotels that resemble a morgue. Still not giving you a link
>>
>>14445810
>people living in one of the most highly populated countries on earth with seriously bad traffic drive automatic
Maybe i cant because most populated places outside the US are mostly using manuals?
Ever been to Mexico DF? Some city in england or germany or france? seriously, fucking tell me how many automatics are there. If you just want to post shit without evidence and then use ad hominem to try to humilliate me then get the fuck back to imgur or 9gag, you wont change my opinion until you present facts.
>>
>>14445343
mexicans apparently!
>>
>>14444661
>americans
>>
>>14444705
>Australia
>Imperial measurements
That and driving an auto down under is for soft cocks.
>>
>>14446311
Get real cunt.
As many people drive automatic here in Australia as they do in America. And the numbers are getting higher for Europe too. Maybe not France up until now but they're starting to make autos for a reason
>>
>>14446327
>Taking it literally
Go to the states for a bit. Driving culture is massively different to here.
>>
not a car fag so i literally have no idea how this guy died
>>
>>14444661
are you telling me americans are dumber than european teenagers?

because in europe we're forced to learn how to drive on manual...
>>
>>14444805
Vagshit only starts with the clutch held in
>>
>>14445120
This. The only places where manuals still are the dominant transmission are Europe (because taxation) and third world backholes.

oh wait, they're the same.
>>
>>14444684
That's like saying that in order to prevent running injuries, you should remove your legs
>>
>>14445042
Or post that one with the chinese lady accelerating when someone walked in front of her car in a parking lot because she got scared and ended up pinning the guy against another car.
>>
>>14444661
>tries to start it like an automatic
>now he is kill
Seems to me this could be a new form of natural selection.
Standard master race checking in
>>
>>14444661
But...
>>14445188
This. I've actually seen it happen, too, lmao.
>Be at classic car show in like 2004
>Guy in his 40s or 50s has a hotrodded '25 Ford Model T roadster
>Can't remember what he was doing but he was messing around the engine for a bit
>Standing outside of the car, he leaned in and started it up, not realizing it was still in gear
>Saw him disappear under a ridiculously fat tire, I think it was like 30" tall x 20" wide
>Car rolled through the parking lot, nearly hitting a few people
>My dad ran towards it, hopped in, and steered it away from several parked cars (it did end up scraping against one just as he pulled the wheel away from it), before being able to hit the brakes and shut it down
>Owner of the car wasn't injured, AFAIK, since the car was so light, but we never saw him again - probably just too ashamed to be seen, which sucks because it was a really nice looking car
>>
>>14444661
>50-year-old
old farts should not by driving.
>>
>>14446476
>because in europe we're forced to learn how to drive on manual...

Who gives a shit?
>>
>>14448454
obviously you
>>
>said in Spanish

One less beaner to deal with. Based Jeep
>>
>>14444780
>man killed
>nah brah its fine
Also letting your car warm up is baka senpai
>>
File: aqe66dP.png (238 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
aqe66dP.png
238 KB, 400x400
>>14444755
>>
>>14445120
this

I remember meeting a Japanese man who had never been behind the wheel of a manual before because all of their commuter ecoboxes have autos.
>>
>>14445765
how is it non-believable? Their roads are cramped as shit and their cities have some of the worst traffic for a first world nation. Why wouldnt they drive automatics?
>>
>>14445842
Then again:
Mexico isnt Japan
England isnt Japan
Germany isnt Japan
France isnt Japan

We all agreed that Europe drives majority manual, but youre the one who started spewing shit about Japan driving manual.
>>
>>14448534
because having a manual has nothing to do with cramped traffic. Have you ever tried to drive a manual? people who complains about how complicated it is have never used one.
>>
>>14444661
This is why cars have neutral safety switches now.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.