[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.theguardian.com/commenti sfree/2016/feb/12/top-ge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 17
File: 1447027045431.gif (1 MB, 371x209) Image search: [Google]
1447027045431.gif
1 MB, 371x209
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/12/top-gear-loathe-thee-sabine-schmitz

>Top Gear fetishises the totally unnecessary consumption of fossil fuels in the name of sport, entertainment and feeling better about your premature ejaculation disorder; it normalises dangerously fast driving; it contributes to the hunger for more and more cars that we neither need nor can sustain; it treats the sheer act of moving a machine as if it’s a display of heroic bravery and skill; and it paid Jeremy Clarkson’s salary for over 25 years. In this context, disliking Top Gear because it doesn’t include enough women is a bit like hating Trident because those submarines simply don’t have enough room for your jumpers – it rather misses the point.

>I am not, as is probably fairly clear by now, a huge fan of cars. Mainly because, as we read last week, cars are literally killing us. Their fumes are one of the most significant contributors to air pollution, which causes people to die of heart attacks, strokes and lung cancer. Air pollution is a factor in at least 30,000 deaths each year in the UK as well as soaring rates of asthma and other lung diseases. Two-thirds of petrol cars break the carbon monoxide limit, 10% break the nitrogen oxide limit, while 95% of diesel cars emit more nitrogen oxides than is legally allowed. Which is before we even get into the number of people who die in road accidents. Road-building, to make room for the hundreds of thousands of people who lock themselves up in a heated petrol box in order to grunt their way to work every day, is destroying the British countryside; as Karl Jilg’s famous illustration, commissioned by the Swedish Road Administration, shows, cars eat up public space like Jabba the Hutt, leaving the rest of us clinging to our thin strips of tarmac like flies on a wire; and the need for oil, from which our petrol and diesel is sourced, is fuelling some of the world’s most bitter conflicts, dangerous regimes and corrupt industries.
>>
>some lesbian feminist transgender transmuslim britbong is pissed about cars
>screams about top gear but xeir argument has nothing to do with top gear other than cars
>literally nothing will come of this but out butthurt
>>
>>14442038
>cars are literally killing us
I wished they'd kill the author of that article and all the tree hugging hippies faster so we can enjoy our tooj in peace.
>>
>electric cars don't use nuclear or coal plants to power them
>the mining of rare earth metals like platinum and lithium doesn't involve destruction of wildlife/land

Retards
>>
File: 200_s.gif (40 KB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
40 KB, 356x200
Not a fan of cars? Walk your ass somewhere else ho.

I'm going to read the actual article via the link now.
>>
>>14442091
>implying there's a problem with nuclear power
The only issue with nuclear power is that dumbass polesmoking hippies won't let us build new plants. We have issues with the current ones because they're living long past their lifespans. New ones are significantly more advanced, but we can't build them because of "enviromentalist" groups. So we build more plants which rely on coal or natural gas instead of nuclear or solar.
>>
>>14442038
The new top gear line up was supposed to please these people but they still have a problem with it
It shouldn't be a crime to kill these faggots, holy fuck
>>
>>14442125
Well to be fair, it could literally destroy nations
>>
File: GRvwvI9.webm (1 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
GRvwvI9.webm
1 MB, 720x404
>Top Gear fetishises the totally unnecessary consumption of fossil fuels in the name of sport, entertainment and feeling better about your premature ejaculation disorder; it normalises dangerously fast driving; it contributes to the hunger for more and more cars that we neither need nor can sustain; it treats the sheer act of moving a machine as if it’s a display of heroic bravery and skill; and it paid Jeremy Clarkson’s salary for over 25 years. In this context, disliking Top Gear because it doesn’t include enough women is a bit like hating Trident because those submarines simply don’t have enough room for your jumpers – it rather misses the point.

I'm literally shaking I'm so angry right now.
/pol/ is, as always, completely right about everything.
>>
File: 203.jpg (25 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
203.jpg
25 KB, 512x384
>>14442091
>rare earth
>lithium
>platinum
>>
>>14442141
It's more safe than gas or coal.

>b-b-but muh Chernobyl
That plant was using a design that was already outdated by the time of the accident
>b-b-but muh Three-Mile Island
Mechanical failures which led to coolant escape, a fucking valve got stuck.
>b-b-but muh Fukishima
It took an earthquake AND several tsunamis to finally take down that sucker. Some of the reactors are still in an operational state, but for obvious reasons aren't used. Most places in the exclusion zone have already been deemed safe to return to by scientists.
>>
Cars aren't that bad. Two-strokes are. Mowing your lawn is the same as driving your car from New York to Los Angeles.
>>
>>14442091
This. Which is why I, as an Agriscience major can't stand to hear when these environmentalists say we need electric cars WHEN WE HAVE VEGETABLE OIL TO CONVERT IT INTO DIESEL FUEL. Lithium Ion batteries are destructive. The electricity she used to power her computer so she could type that out also contributed to more coal burning. Engineers should not work on Hybrids and Electrics because they are detrimental, and don't save on money that much. We need engineers to perfect Diesel.
>>
>>14442199
Biodiesel is the best solution. Worked with it as my mech engineering project, and was amazed at how easy it was to make
>>
>>14442174
Any sources that could confirm its safety or at least future prospects? It still sounds risky and not worth it to create more plants.
>>14442163
Haha. Wrong word. Idea still applies, lithium and platinum are still hard to mine and require not only massive amounts of energy in the form of gas powered trucks, but destroy habitats.
>>
>>14442174
To further compound Fukushima's issue, lazy inspectors exacerbated it when checking safety shit before the earthquake.
>>
>>14442199
>>14442230
agriculture is the number 1 environmental polluter of the world
>>
File: lithium_600.12.jpg (60 KB, 600x295) Image search: [Google]
lithium_600.12.jpg
60 KB, 600x295
>>14442234
lithium isn't mined and i don't give a shit about some shithole salt desert in south america
>>
>>14442174
AND Fukashima had their backup generators BELOW ground, so if it were to flood (like it did), the generators couldn't run, which would mean the plant overheats.

It was just a badly designed plant.
>>
I can't believe this is real.
I can't believe this actually got published.

What an absolute embarrassment.
>>
>>14442199
>>14442230

as a student in aerospace engineering, these.
>>
watch out guys we got a couple of calculator jockey engineering majors in here.
>>
>>14442381
Says the art school dropout bus riding single gear bike riding hipster piece of shit
>>
>>14442392
you mean mech engineering student?
I'm just not deluded enough to think this easy fucking majors means I'm intelligent or have any knowledge of the environment

literally nothing in your course load has anything to do with this topic
>>
desu, if we can find a combustible fuel that results in emissions that aren't harmful, we wouldn't have to deal with emissions regulations at all.

This is why I'm Pro-Hydrogen. I'm pro any other fuel that also fits the bill.

I just really want to avoid electric cars.
>>
>>14442407
>mechanical engineering
>not deluded
Pick one
>>
>>14442038
Why not complain about chinsee factories or something? Theyre far worse than a car that's had its cat rusted off.
>>
>>14442147
Man im crying laughing at that webm

Oh lord
>>
>>14442199
I think a lot of people miss the point of electric cars. It's true some of the electricity used to power them is provided by a nonrenewable resource that pollute the atmosphere, but the power plants that convert them into electricity are able to do so much more efficiently than an automobile.
>>
>>14442392
Hipsters ride brakeless fixies, not singlespeeds.
>>
>>14442455
>butthurt that he got told
you're an engineering student not a research post doctorate. get over it.
>>
>>14442038
>Their fumes are one of the most significant contributors to air pollution
KEK

just gobble that epa cock. god damn.
>>
>>14442038
>cars are literally killing us.
>woman
>probably drives a modern SUV/ cuckover because "it pollutes less than your old beaten shitbox"
>women drive these things around instead of walking for like half a mile
>they let their cars idle at the door of supermarkets
>they're more than willing to invest shitloads of money into newer cars, getting rid of perfectly fine cars that could run for a long time
>implying creating new cars doesn't pollute a lot as well
>many other stuff I don't feel like typing
and then, this
>>14442199
anyone supporting lithium or electric cars is deluded as fuck.
>>
>>14442038
>attacking men's sexuality within the first sentence
Bravo.
>>
>>14442199
>>14442230

What is holding it back? Just money/lack of investment? Stuff like GTL tech exists for so long that I have no idea why we dont use it on larger scales other than the general "laziness" of giant oil companies
>>
File: NellFrizzell.jpg (12 KB, 140x140) Image search: [Google]
NellFrizzell.jpg
12 KB, 140x140
This is exactly what I expected the author to look like.
>>
>>14442304
Agriculture if done wrong is harmful, if done right it can actually restore the planet. Cover crops, crop rotation, organic fertilisers, enriching soil with compost, etc etc etc.
>>
>>14442675
>told to get over it
>assumes I'm a student and not an art school dropout or working professional in a completely unrelated field
fucking kek
>>
>>14442199
>We need engineers to perfect Diesel.
too bad the *ding ding ding* EPA and california hates diesels.
Cali is too big of a market for new cars for automakers to not bend over backwards for whatever regulations they put in place.

A real fucking shame.
>>
>>14442850
It's the reason everything is going to be small displacement + turbo soon.
>>
Is there a single British newspaper that isn't like the Onion but serious?
>>
>>14442147
>In this context, disliking Top Gear because it doesn’t include enough women is a bit like hating Trident because those submarines simply don’t have enough room for your jumpers – it rather misses the point.
What the literal fuck is this supposed to mean?
>>
>>14442804
hahah yes this
>>
File: 1453915586869.png (129 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1453915586869.png
129 KB, 300x300
>this whole fucking article

jesus christ why
>>
>>14442877
No.
>>
>>14442884
Trident is an American fuck huge submarine I think
>>
>>14442884
It means she hates submarines because they remind her of penises. Or rather, the trident missiles inside the submarines.
>>
>>14442976
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/11/trident-the-british-question
>>
>>14442089
And this what happens when you argue from muh feelings, and why feminism should no longer be taken seriously
>>
>>14442985
Oh
>>
>>14442089
>lesbian U feminist U transgender
>muslim
pretty sure those can't be compatible, cf. ISIS
>>
>>14442327
That happens here too. Still, drying ponds are not super polluting. They even offer habitat for migratory waterfowl. As long as they don't drain the lakes too fast they're good.
>>14442850
That's because as efficient as they are, they spew poison and ash at a much higher rate. California doesn't just want them for some petulant reason, it's because there's a big ass bowl in it that traps whatever is dumped into it.
>>
File: remove hair dye - the sjw threat.jpg (386 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
remove hair dye - the sjw threat.jpg
386 KB, 1500x1000
>>14442343
>Humanities majors
>knowing how to feel embarassment

Look at them. I used to be leftist before I heard about these tards existence.
>>
>>14442984
Or maybe it is because it reminds her that the penises leave and never come back.
>>
File: HxTzmjy.png (111 KB, 1026x1234) Image search: [Google]
HxTzmjy.png
111 KB, 1026x1234
It seems like everyday this country gets more and more cucked. I just want to enjoy cars, but they are making it so hard.
>>
File: THIS CHAIR.jpg (28 KB, 459x494) Image search: [Google]
THIS CHAIR.jpg
28 KB, 459x494
>All my cars get sub 15 miles to the gallon
>mfw this article
>>
>>14442147
>I'm literally shaking I'm so angry right now.

this is how you assburgers sound like
>>
>thread about cars
>5 responses, 3 posters, 1 image

>thread about some random feminist on cars
>56 responses, 36 posters, 11 images

this is why /o/ is dying
>>
>>14443693
oh eat shit
>>
>>14442038
I bicycle, so my lack of pollution leaves space for top gear
>>
File: DSC_2235.jpg (3 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2235.jpg
3 MB, 4288x2848
>>14443616
>mfw my car doesn't have a cat
>legally
>>
File: equinox.jpg (84 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
equinox.jpg
84 KB, 720x404
Jeremy Clarkson was the last sane man on British television and they chased him off.

Now they besmirch the legacy he created.

Liberalism isn't a mental illness it's a horrendous metavirus.

Fuck the queen, God save the British people from themselves.
>>
>>14445136
>Liberalism isn't a mental illness it's a horrendous metavirus.
correct, the only true path is to abandon feelgood liberalism and become a proper leftist
>>
>The Guardian

you retards are literally getting triggered by the equivalent of the New York Post.

does anyone in Britain, of any realistic importance or sanity actually pay attention to The Guardian?
>>
>>14442234
>It still sounds risky and not worth it to create more plants.
Then you're a retard that doesn't understand how incredibly safe nuclear energy is when managed properly (*cough cough Chernobyl cough*) or built in places that don't encounter almost every natural disaster known to man like Fukushima.
>>
>>14443722

>mfw you're a fag stop posting
>>
File: 1392100869591.jpg (11 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1392100869591.jpg
11 KB, 500x375
>>14442804
Pretty much guarantee someone like that doesn't like the penis and sexually identifies as a homomollusc or whatever the fucking cool kids call themselves these days
>>
>live in Tolerance Zone #65
>be nu-trans fourth trimester transsensual Angst Profile ZETA-8 genderqueer pseudo-dyke reformed lesbiophilic heteromollusc
>see cis white male at the zoo
>ask “mommies, what’s that?”
>they don’t know
>Genderless Polyamorous Parental Unit #2 takes me into a Safe Zone and engages the Feelings Shield
>tells me that it is a monster from the beforetime
>tells me not to be scared, because the monsters’ penisocracy was smashed by the forces of the LBJQGTA5 Coalition in the Patriarchy Wars
>start to cry
>s/he opens his and/or her rainbow mesh vest and retrieves an estrogen pill to cheer me up
>feeling the calming femininity wash over me
>s/he tells me that the monsters aren’t allowed to hurt anyone any more, only to work, to support our glorious society
>throw Privilege Peanuts at him
>everyone laughs
>take some soma
>go home and read some consensus-approved feelings-safe literature
>>
File: 1327192863611.gif (121 KB, 250x252) Image search: [Google]
1327192863611.gif
121 KB, 250x252
>>14445921
>>
>6 presenters
>>
>>14442125
>>14442141
>>14442174
Also, Gen IV nuclear reactors can't melt down unintentionally. Can't remember the details, something about the use of coated uranium pellets instead of rods, but in the event of a mechanical failure, it just slowly cools down.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.